The KSC World Supercar Championships!

Welcome to the KSC World Supercar Championships!

screenshot7-1.png

THE CHALENGE: Professional driving kerbals come together from around Kerbin to compete in this legendary competition of sport and skill. Now is YOUR chance to join the legends, and become a professional racer. You must preform 10 laps around the KSC Astronaut Complex and Research Complex areas in as little time as possible!

1. The Circuit

mapksp.png

Cars will start on the white crosswalk markings in front of the Astronaut Complex for the start of the race, marked on the map with a small black line. Cars will race through the Research Complex and back around through the middle of KSC and back to the Astronaut Complex in the direction indicated by the arrows. The red section by the starting line indicates the Pit Zone in which cars can recharge their electricity without being penalized. This track will test your car's turning ability on several sharp turns, yet also your car's speed on the straight ways. As said before, the race will consist of 10 laps around this circuit.

2. Car Safety Rules and Regulations

• Cars can only use electronic wheels for moving. No rockets, jets, RCS, etc. Just for clarification, there may be NO RCS on your car whatsoever. (We have had issues with this)
  • Cars must consist of more than 25 parts
  • Cars require headlights of some kind for safety
  • Your car must have at least 1 Kerbal driver
  • Your Kerbal's IVA view must be relatively clear for safety
  • Drivers must be able to survive a full-speed head-on collision for safety
  • Drivers must be able to enter/exit the vehicle
  • No performance/parts mods of any kind. No exploitation. All stock cars only.
  • Please stay within the spirit of the competition
  • Car must weigh more than 1.5 tonnes
  • There is a maximum of 8 control surfaces, with only 2 max allowed to be active (to prevent infigliding)

3. Determining Times and Post Must-Do's

Your entry must contain...

• A screenshot of your car on the starting line right before you start with HUD on(So we can see time)
  • A screenshot of your car + HUD before and after every "pit stop" (So we can see and detract time)
  • Screenshot of car + HUD right after passing the start line for the 10th time at the end of the race (So we can see your final time)
  • Name of the manufacturer and model of your car entry (Make stuff up if you want)
  • Your car's class
  • Your final calculated time
  • All other screenshots are optional

To calculate time: Subtract all of the time you accumulated before you had actually started the race. Then, simply subtract each official pit stop interval from your final time as well. That's it. Simple

NOTE: Any emergency pit stops outside of the pit stop zone (In red on the map above) will count against you and may not be removed from your final time unlike the official pit stops.

Tip: Keep track of your resources!

Leaderboards

P1 Class (21 m/s top speed and above)

1. SasquatchM Car Makers, SMA Dingus = 6:30 (+ control surface speed-up)

2. K-Speed Manufacturers, K-II 447 Prototype Racer = 8:50

3. Pds314 Car Manufacturers, Solitor Vectrix = 8:57

4. TSLV, Firelaser II = 8:58

5. K-Speed Manufacturers, K-Series 477 RaceMaster = 9:14

6. Kerbal Dynamics, Rcr = 9:18

7. TSLV, FireLaser = 9:27

8. Jeb's 3rd Cousin's Lawnmower Shop, K-Kart TE1 = 9:35

9. JAT Research Labs and Toilet Paper Co, 6U-TT WIPER = 9:37

10. SasquatchM Car Makers, Unknown = 9:47

11. Bills Window Company, Kervette P1 = 9:50

12. K-Speed Manufacturers, Reza A900 Prototype Racer = 10:45

P2 Class (20 m/s top speed and below)

1. Unknown, Tropis = 10:02

Edited by Kingtj44

My own entry...

P1 Class Car: K-Speed Manufacturers, Reza A900 Prototype Racer

Start time: screenshot13.png

Official Pit Stop 1 Before: screenshot14-1.png

After: screenshot15-1.png

Official Pit Stop 2 Before: screenshot16.png

After: screenshot17.png

Ending Time: screenshot18.png

Final Time: 10:45

Edited by Kingtj44

If the car had static panels or RTGs it wouldn't need pit stops. Is that allowed? Also, can i use aerodynamic surfaces as i want, as long as the car doesnt fly?

EDIT: Is SAS and more than 4 wheels allowed?

EDIT 2: And external seats, as long as the driver is safe in crashes?

Edited by ThermalShark

OK, here's my entry. I went for a go-kart design with the safety bumper around it. It can smash into a wall full speed and maybe lose a headlight:

Manufacturer: Jeb's 3rd cousin's lawnmower shop, housed in the abandoned KSP2 building northwest of KSP.

Model: K-Kart TE1 (TE=Thermo-Electric)

No pit stops (generators are exactly enough to keep all 4 motors and both headlights going, so batteries are for surges, in case of generator failure, and for weight centering.

9:35 for 10 laps. I lost a battery to the invisible bump in the north section of the track, which is why you see the total EC drop after lap 5.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by zorque
spelling

Dude its like ten laps :P Thats about 60 sec lap times which seem pretty good.

I like this challenge!

Because the achievable speed for the wheel is clearly defined in their configuration file:

torqueCurve

{

key = 0 100 0 0

key = 2.5 70 0 0

key = 30 0 0 0

}

It is totally impossible to achieve a speed of over 30m/s on flat ground with the stock wheels, and as you can already see from the entries, the times are so close.

On top of a simple and clearly defined steering performance, it's all about boring shortest route cutting.

steeringCurve

{

key = 0 10

key = 10 6

key = 30 2

}

...It is totally impossible to achieve a speed of over 30m/s on flat ground with the stock wheels, and as you can already see from the entries, the times are so close.

On top of a simple and clearly defined steering performance, it's all about boring shortest route cutting...

Not entirely. On my car I used aerodynamic surfaces for downforce. The extra traction gives me about 2 m/s more speed than I would have, and allowed me to corner much faster. On a couple of runs I clipped my front wing on a building and lost half my downforce. Without it my car would just flip over on a sharp turn.

With control surfaces i can make a car reach 60 m/s, but going above 45 m/s (not in a straight line) usually means flipping, and during the flip the control surfaces get in a angle where they generate lift (upwards), then the car flies 30 meters above the ground doing crazy rolls, then explodes, killing the driver. And its possible to use other means of turning other than wheels, like SAS yaw, or a rudder.

Not entirely. On my car I used aerodynamic surfaces for downforce. The extra traction gives me about 2 m/s more speed than I would have, and allowed me to corner much faster. On a couple of runs I clipped my front wing on a building and lost half my downforce. Without it my car would just flip over on a sharp turn.

Yeah 2m/s faster, so exciting.

With control surfaces i can make a car reach 60 m/s, but going above 45 m/s (not in a straight line) usually means flipping,

Infini glide so legit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.