Redoing science

Probably an old question:

If i do 100 science (eg observe goo in orbit) and transmit it, lets say i get 30 science (30%)

Can i then do a manned mission to get that science report, return it to kerbin and get another 70 science?

Does transmitting one result lock you out of returning samples etc at a later date for full science points?

Edited by togfox

I am not sure to be honest, BUT, I think you can say observe the goo in orbit, transmit that data, then <pending you have the lab module on the ship> recycle the goo canister, then observe again and bring back the science. I think this is possible, not 100% sure.

EDIT:

would seem you CAN transmit a data set and then clean the experiment then gather a new data batch and land it. how much this nets you is unclear as I did a quick up and down flight to space and back over KSC where I have emptied my ability to gain science back in .22 lol. BUT, seems you CAN do this.

Edited by AlamoVampire

Basically you have the "data" that you transmit, and then you have the "value" of said data. The latter acts as a multiplier on the former, and the result is science points gained. However, "value" tends towards 0 with increasing amounts of science points generated.

Let's imagine a hypothetical experiment worth 100 science points if you return it, and worth 20% of that if you transmit it. The transmission is 50 Mits in size, and if you return it once, you "get all the science" and subsequent returns or transmissions do not give you any extra (there are experiments ingame that you can repeat for extra science even if you got the full amount the first time, but this is not one of them).

50 Mits "data" * some "value" * 100% "yield" for returning = 100 science ----> "value" is 2, for 50 * 2 * 1 = 100. This is what you get for returning the experiment intact.

However, let's assume that you transmit it instead. You now calculate 50 * 2 * 0.2 = 20 science. And then you reset and return it (or you have a second copy that you return).

What happens is that because you already transmitted some data and got some science, the returned experiment isn't worth as much anymore. There's less new stuff for your scientists to learn that they didn't know about already. In game terms, the "value" goes down. After your transmission, you can still return the full experiment, but your science yield will be merely: 50 * 1.6 * 1 = 80. The return multiplier is still 100%, but the value multiplier decreased from 2 to 1.6 because it was already partially completed.

This can easily be seen if you don't have the experiment just once, but for example five times. And you transmit all of them instead of returning it.

First transmission:  50 * 2      * 0.2 = 20, for a total of 20 out of 100 completed
Second transmission: 50 * 1.6 * 0.2 = 16, for a total of 36 out of 100 completed
Third transmission: 50 * 1.28 * 0.2 = 12.8, for a total of 48.8 out of 100 completed
Fourth transmission: 50 * 1.024 * 0.2 = 10.24, for a total of 59.04 of 100 compelted
Fifth transmission: 50 * 0.8192 * 0.2 = 8.192, for a total of 67.232 of 100 completed

Thanks guys. My real question is, can i do science, transmit now for a quick hit on that science and then invent some way to return the remainder later on. Seems like i can. :)

Yes, you can. For repeatable instruments (such as gravimeter) you can measure, transmit, measure again and return the instrument to get the rest of science points. For non-repeatable you can either use lab to clean the instrument for another use or get there again and deliver. Sometimes even delivery does not grant you 100% science though. In such cases it is good idea to take several instruments. Or several command pods to store different copies of the same measurement in them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.