What planet hates you?

Captain Sierra

Moho and Dres give me a hard time because of the dV it takes to get in orbit around them.

also, Laythe broke the solar panels on my lander once, for no reason, resulting in a mission being cut very short

I'm fairly certain Duna loves me though.

Never had a bad mission to Duna or Ike.

Duna and Ike, such a mischievous pair. Ike is forever in the way and Duna loves to lull you into it's "atmosphere", and then laugh at you as you impact it's surface at full burn, still going 100m/s.

The dv required to ascent from Eve sea level seems infinite. You get a rocket that gets so very, very close. Like "circularise 90% of the way around the planet and your manoeuvre node has 70dv remaining" close. Then you add another whole asparagus stage with four more tanks and aerospikes. Then it takes you five different attempts at adding in enough extra parachutes to land without crashing, and then staging them just right so that it doesn't rip itself to shreds when they expand. Then you finally get into orbit and you're still 40dv short...

Disregard my last post about the Mun.

After fixing up an misunderstanding between the Mun and KSC, we've landed a bunch of probes on it successfully, followed by three manned expeditions whom the Mun welcomed to land. Minmus saw what the Mun was doing, and decided to do the same, allowing the first manned expedition to land in 1967 (IG Universe).

I've mastered the Mun and Duna and Minimus.

Now I shall master Moho and Tylo

So far, definitely Mun. It's the only place I've had unplanned extended stays at. It's also where I've learned how to rescue Kerbals from places other than Kerbin. Minmus never gives me these problems, Mun, you should learn from it and its green cuteness how to not be a kerbalnapper.

Did my very first Duna run last night, very easy intercept, was surprised at the low delta-v needed. Ended up coming in for a polar orbit, not what was planned but apparently spared me having to deal with interference from that imp, Ike. Landed on the northern ice cap, which I learned has a few nice, flat places that are 5000 meters up. Yay for quicksaves! Once I realized that landing was a breeze, though I used half my lander's fuel, might use more than 3 parachutes next time - among other things I'm going to fix. It was also my very first planned "Abandon the Kerbals" mission ;) Transmitted some sweet, sweet science back, though, which will make future missions a bit more return-capable. Maybe some day I'll bring them home or move them to a base I establish a bit closer to the equator (which I imagine will involve dealing with some Ike shenanigans).

Edited by Tiakatt

The Mün has broken more ships and toppled more landers with its "that looks like a good place to land, but wait, it's actually a 40 degree incline" than any other celestial body in my playthroughs, (not including "Launch Incidents", "Unfortunate Malfunctions", and "Unexplained Failures during Testing" on Kerbin).

Launch windows are so infrequent that it's annoying to test new designs there too. Have a new lander design now that I hope will ale Duna safer, but it'll be ages before I can test it.

That launch window issue is a real problem. Trying to test different variants of vehicles or make minor tweaks takes so long because you have to time warp every damn time. Probably an issue with every interplanetary mission but I have only tried Duna and Eve. But I find that the Mun is one of the most annoying surfaces to land on, just because large craft still have decent weight on its surface but you cannot counter with chutes, so I inevitably make my lunar landers too large and burn too late and crash. Even though I have built plenty of successful interplanetary vehicles landing on the Mun is always a hassle.

Strange as it may sound, Ike. So far, it has swallowed more of my landers per mission than any other thing I've landed on, not counting learning to perform Mun landings back in .15 or whenever landing legs were introduced.

A list, with attempted manned landings before success:

Ike--6:1

Mun--5:1

Duna--3:1

Minmus--1:1

Bop--1:1

Gilly--1:1

This list doesn't count Kerbin. My ratio of crashes to zero-complaint flights is something like 10:1, with the numbers heavily skewed due to experimental launches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.