Simulation Engineer Opening at SpaceX

knicewar

FYI, we have an excellent internship program.

Thanks for mentioning this, I need to put in some applications for some of the summer slots. I currently am interning for a local aerospace\defense contractor, but this would be an amazing change of pace.

@knicewar: Could you elaborate some more on the particular qualifications and skills that you're looking for? I've gathered quite of bit of experience coding in C# as well as quite a bit of experience handling physics simulations through my FAR aerodynamics plugin and KJR physics stabilizing plugin and I would like to be able to showcase those skills in a relevant manner.

Greetings! I created the LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack and Exploration Pack mods for KSP, which are currently being updated to work with the Realism Overhaul set of mods to allow these to be used in an even more realistic manner within Kerbal Space Program. I've been posting SpaceX demonstration videos on my Lazarus Luan YouTube channel that I have been creating with KSP over the past year and am about to post up several more with my Falcon v1.1, Falcon Heavy and Dragon 2 updates. Your job posting is definitely intriguing... what kinds of hours do you guys keep over there in Hawthorne?

Unfortunately due to ITAR Regulations we are unable to employ people that are not permanent residents of the U.S. (Green Card holders or U.S. Citizens).

Looks like you will be missing me, and I do have experience working abroad. :)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58329-KSP-inspired-me-to-really-learn-orbital-mechanics

Now seriously without trying to make this a political rant, you have "that guy" as your president but you cannot bring some cool engineers to work with the cool stuff? I'm not sure I would enjoy working in such conditions anyway.

... Your job posting is definitely intriguing... what kinds of hours do you guys keep over there in Hawthorne?

Speaking as someone who's looking to fill two positions right now, if your first question is about the hours, you're done; resume deleted, turfed, and/or burned.

Any openings for ageing but sharp-as-a-tack drilling engineers at SpaceX?

I take it that you would have to live close enough to commute, or is this something that can be done through online communication?

Trust me, you'll want to live close enough to commute! Walking the factory floor every day never gets old and is quite inspiring!

@knicewar: Could you elaborate some more on the particular qualifications and skills that you're looking for? I've gathered quite of bit of experience coding in C# as well as quite a bit of experience handling physics simulations through my FAR aerodynamics plugin and KJR physics stabilizing plugin and I would like to be able to showcase those skills in a relevant manner.

Like I said, C++ skills are the #1 priority. I'm looking for people who are not just able to write high-quality new code but able to quickly jump into complex C++ code that other prople wrote and start contributing. A math/physics/simulations background is certainly a plus but that isn't required. Relevant post-degree work experience is desirable but we frequently hire recent grads who have demonstrated the skills we need during school. I look for evidence that a candidate has worked closely on a team SW project because few people here work in isolation. Software architecture experience is also very important, with focus on maintainable, reliable, and high-performance designs. We would like to upgrade our 3D simulation GUI, so if we find someone with 3D/GUI experience, that is a bonus. Our current GUI pales in comparison to KSP but it is functional. :)

Like I said, C++ skills are the #1 priority. I'm looking for people who are not just able to write high-quality new code but able to quickly jump into complex C++ code that other prople wrote and start contributing. A math/physics/simulations background is certainly a plus but that isn't required. Relevant post-degree work experience is desirable but we frequently hire recent grads who have demonstrated the skills we need during school. I look for evidence that a candidate has worked closely on a team SW project because few people here work in isolation. Software architecture experience is also very important, with focus on maintainable, reliable, and high-performance designs. We would like to upgrade our 3D simulation GUI, so if we find someone with 3D/GUI experience, that is a bonus. Our current GUI pales in comparison to KSP but it is functional. :)

Well, SpaceX does pay for relocation ... :)

Oh really? I'm not sure I'd get the job anyway. I have a LOT of experience with C, but haven't done heavy C++ for years. Still very tempting.

Edited by minego
Added missing quote

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.