HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Orionkermin, hi again. I'm here to say that, again, I'm loving these parts. The aestetics are spot on and you filled a gap in the game like few other mods with style. That said, I mean to ask: ¿Are there any plans for a monopropellant tank and SAS unit in 1.875m size?

Whatever you do, though, keep them coming, your work is most excellent.

First version of the capsule's IVA is up. Been a long day trying to get this thing done but, I think it came out well. It'll need some tuning and polishing down the line though.

2014-04-07_00004_zps7f06bd08.jpg

I should also mention that I made a few tweaks to the engine's stats, so anybody gets to test them out let me know what you think, I'd like to keep them from being overpowered.

Orionkermin, hi again. I'm here to say that, again, I'm loving these parts. The aestetics are spot on and you filled a gap in the game like few other mods with style. That said, I mean to ask: ¿Are there any plans for a monopropellant tank and SAS unit in 1.875m size?

Whatever you do, though, keep them coming, your work is most excellent.

I'm definitely going to make an RCS tank and a docking port eventually. Not too sure about whether or not an SAS module will be that necessary but we'll see.

Ran into a bad bug with the G47b engine. Whenever I try to launch a craft using it, this happens:

13762904983_b4b261cd36_b.jpg

The engine is shown as active (and with a 2 meter shroud for some reason, even if it's the first part on the craft), producing no thrust, consuming no fuel, and with a second exhaust plume pointing north. I have no idea what's causing this. I'll try redownloading to see if that helps, but... Yeah.

Well before the last update I was working on adding a second shroud to that engine so it could also be used in a 2.5m stack. The thrust transform must have gotten messed up. I'll be sure to fix it as soon as I get home.

Edit: in the meantime you could try deleting the extra modulejettison in the engine's .cfg, might fix it

Edited by Orionkermin

This is really nice! I never considered the idea of stockalike Soyuz/Shenzhou parts before but you have made a set that goes well with the stock parts, while still conveying the aesthetic of the Russo-Chinese space programs. BobCat's stuff is gorgeous but it looks so out of place next to any stock parts. I'll give this a try some time!

Yep, the engine is working fine now. I've been using the Radish and 1.875m parts for my upper stages, they work like a charm, just what I needed for my Gemini analog craft.

Hahaha me too! I think it's become my favorite way to use the pod.

Would it be possible to get an attachable heatshield and decoupler for the Soy-Juice? Using them as-is tends to make parachutes explode, and while the Radish can still look pretty good with the 1.25m shield, there's not many 1.875m parts out there.

Would it be possible to get an attachable heatshield and decoupler for the Soy-Juice? Using them as-is tends to make parachutes explode, and while the Radish can still look pretty good with the 1.25m shield, there's not many 1.875m parts out there.

I'll re-install DRE. and do some testing as soon as I get the chance. Both pods should have built in heatshields a though, so I'm not sure what could be causing problems. I think Komodo was reporting that the SDHI parachute/docking port was having compatibility issues. (I only bring it up because it looks like you've been using it in your lets play.

I'll re-install DRE. and do some testing as soon as I get the chance. Both pods should have built in heatshields a though, so I'm not sure what could be causing problems. I think Komodo was reporting that the SDHI parachute/docking port was having compatibility issues. (I only bring it up because it looks like you've been using it in your lets play.

Basically what happens is when you put a parachute or the SDHI docking port (and probably some other parts) on a part with a built-in heatshield, the part reaches the same temperature as the shield and makes the part go boom. Happens with the Mk 1 capsule too.

Basically what happens is when you put a parachute or the SDHI docking port (and probably some other parts) on a part with a built-in heatshield, the part reaches the same temperature as the shield and makes the part go boom. Happens with the Mk 1 capsule too.

AHA! Ok well that explains it. I tend to come in really slow and shallow when I play with DRE so maybe that's why I've never noticed. I'll try to decide on a game plan on how I'm going to fix things. This R&D cycle is starting to get really big and overwhelming ATM though so what I'm debating on doing is a major art pass on parts that are working well or don't need many changes for the time being so I can add them to the main release and get some stuff checked off the to do list and narrow my scope a bit.

Edit:Also if anybody is interested I'm also contributing to the open mod part thread. Check it out if you haven't there's lots of talented modders, new and old, sharing their work and knowledge. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76094-The-Open-Part-Mod-Week-of-4-11-project-started

DoubleEdit: I should mention that I'm not completely happy with the current state of the soy-juice. I think that in the future an overhaul is in order. I've learned a lot since I started it and I want the final product to be as good as possible.

Edited by Orionkermin

...I should mention that I'm not completely happy with the current state of the soy-juice. I think that in the future an overhaul is in order. I've learned a lot since I started it and I want the final product to be as good as possible.

What goodies are planned for the overhaul? A stock IVA? A dedicated OM? A Service module? A special docking port? Well, what ideas so you have?

As with everything, there are workarounds; gentle reentries may be the 'way to go' (in an RPG sense at least) for this capsule. Whatever happens, we're enjoying the product, and don't worry about it: I mean to say, don't burn out on it. Surprises are always good too (And they're easy to not over promise either :D )

Edit to say that we'll be glad to beat on DRE and realchutes for you; running DRE is a sign of masochism anyway, soooo if it blows up here an there, par for the course besides :D

What Komodo said. This isn't that big of a deal since there are workarounds, and I wouldn't want you to burn out on this before getting things the way you want. I'm still loving the Soy-Juice. I started using it as a stopgap until I got all the parts for the SDHI system unlocked, but now with three different craft based on it and the flexibility of the Onion I'm pretty sure I'll keep it in service a good long while this save. :)

No worries guys. I'm not really burned out, I just feel like the mod has gotten disorganized and it's spreading me a bit thin, so it feels like nothing is getting done. That's why I want to work on getting the basic 1.875m parts I already have made released. (As well as the new version of the radish)

As far as the Soy-juice goes, the things that bug me are:

-the top connection being smaller than 1.25m. It didnt really work out like I hoped and often looks off.

-the bumps on top are also too big and simple, I want to remodel them.

-the textures are not well optimized, and I'm pretty sure I can get the whole exterior onto one single texture, for instance.

-the onion feels too small overall. Although it fits well as part of a 1.25m stack.

-the inline chute is ugly...

-I don't think the decoupler really needs to be adaptable now that I've made 1.875m parts. Meaning I can instead make a better looking adapter.

-I still want to make a specialized service module.

Note that this is just a list of what bugs me; what actually gets changed will remain to be seen.

As far as a heatshield goes I haven't decided on what I'm going to do yet. I wouldn't want to make one that only fits the soy-juice and I'm not sure if a 1.875m one will block enough heat, It may be something I have to experiment with.

As far as a heatshield goes I haven't decided on what I'm going to do yet. I wouldn't want to make one that only fits the soy-juice and I'm not sure if a 1.875m one will block enough heat, It may be something I have to experiment with.

It should, I use the standard 1.25m shield as a workaround for the Radish and it can survive reentry from Minmus just fine with the default settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.