HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

It's interesting? I'm all about implementation, so if you can pull it off (Not that there is much doubt) it will be epic. I'm a little curious if you are going to be doing the Solar panels (At least that's what I think they are in the 3rd pic)

It's been a busy week for me outside of KSP. Unfortunately that means I haven't gotten much done on this yet. Hopefully I'll have more success this week.

Anyways here's a screen of what I do have done.

Untitled_zps9a9d84ee.png

I haven't size tested it yet. (I need to be sure 3 kerbals will fit in the arrangement I like) Which, if anybody has a good idea of what to use as a referance I'd like to hear it, as I typically just import it into the game to check kerbal positioning in the IVA and little camera picture. I know they are 1m tall, but inside they're in a sitting position and I'm not sure how wide their helmets are.

Once I know the sizing is ok, I'll be able to start really moving forward with everything else.

Assuming that a Kerbal is roughly half the size of a human, albeit with a disproportionally large head and helmet, a re-entry capsule should be fine if it got a few cubic meters of internal space.

Present day Soyuz re-entry modules got a volum of 3.5m^3. The orbital module is another 5.0m^3. Not sure about the Shenzou.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(spacecraft)#Technical_data

Thanks for the help guys, but what I actually need are the dimensions of a sitting kerbal so I can use that as a box while I model to prevent clipping. Their helmets are the widest and deepest part of their model. It's an issue of fitting them without clipping or photo bombing eachother rather than getting realistic sizes. :)

The only i'm seeing is I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to use the packaged awesomeness!

(On a side note, I had to delete the other pods from my Mod Only game, but don't worry, once I am done with it they will come back, I love them too much)

Love the idea of a Soyuz/Shenzou-like set of modules.

I've got just a couple of suggestions:

-don't go for an overly realistic thing: I love yor modules because you are building something that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Gemini or Vostok, so you can build your own spacecraft without the feeling that your copying real world;

- design the modules so they can integrate well in stock designs without looking "out of place";

- continue with the awesomeness.

(Sorry if I'm looking a little pretentious or unpolite. I really suck at appearing a nice person on the web.)

That said, I'm looking forward to everything you're going to invent for us. And a big big thanks for having made a 2-kerbal stockalike module. You're my hero.

Soy_zps8414182e.png

Starting to come along! I still have to finish up UV mapping on these and modeling the two IVAs. Then I get to work texturing everything.

The baseplate of the service module is 2.5m and the top is 1.875m. The bars under the capsule are part of its autoshroud, which is fitted to 1.875m as well. The top and bottom of the OM is 1.25m.

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to mention that I updated the OP and test download. I if anybody wants to help with testing the updates to the radish.

Edited by Orionkermin

*snip*

Starting to come along! I still have to finish up UV mapping on these and modeling the two IVAs. Then I get to work texturing everything.

The baseplate of the service module is 2.5m and the top is 1.875m. The bars under the capsule are part of its autoshroud, which is fitted to 1.875m as well. The top and bottom of the OM is 1.25m.

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to mention that I updated the OP and test download. I if anybody wants to help with testing the updates to the radish.

Wow! The model is looking great :D Now my only hope is that the textures will be good enough to match the model :)

What colors were you thinking of doing? I think a nice dark grey, off white, and red decal combo would be nice. May i recommend that whatever you choose be very fitting with the stock look just like your other parts :D

Keep it cool :cool:

What colors were you thinking of doing?

My plan is for the majority to be off white for the OM and capsule. The Service module I'm planning to do in a sort of two tone off white/black similar to how the radish is. I haven't decided on all my accent colors yet, I tend to continually check how the texture looks on the model as I paint it, so if I'm not liking something I can change it.

This image is one I'm taking a lot of inspiration from, at least when it comes to the patterns and such. The palette will of course match the stock stuff in game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ASTP_Soyuz_Spacecraft.jpg

Edited by Orionkermin

I've been starting on the textures for the exteriors and thought I'd post up what I have so far. These are obviously still not complete, but hopefully It'll give an indication for the style I'm going for.

Untitled_zps7117115d.png

Still more to do, but I think I've found a good stride so hopefully it will keep me going and finally get this thing into the game.

I've been starting on the textures for the exteriors and thought I'd post up what I have so far. These are obviously still not complete, but hopefully It'll give an indication for the style I'm going for.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/Untitled_zps7117115d.png

Still more to do, but I think I've found a good stride so hopefully it will keep me going and finally get this thing into the game.

Oh man that looks gorgeous. You just keep getting better and better with every project you do. :)

Interesting, but I don't want to have to be locked into one configuration. it does look good though.

It's two parts, so I'm not sure what you mean. The top of the capsule and the ends of the OM are 1.25m. You're still going to need to add a decoupler or stack separator in between them to separate them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.