HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Orion, I made a drogue version of your inline chute. It's nothing more than a slight retexture and reconfig so I presume that you wouldn't want it distributed. If you want, I could pm you a download link to check it out?

I would be thrilled if you wanted it in the pack, otherwise I'll just keep it to myself :D

The problem with those wires on the side is that it removes the multipurpose ability of the Service Module. I can't help but think it wouldn't look very good on anything but the Soy-Juice pod, and I hate when mods only have one type of craft that can be re-made.

The problem with those wires on the side is that it removes the multipurpose ability of the Service Module. I can't help but think it wouldn't look very good on anything but the Soy-Juice pod, and I hate when mods only have one type of craft that can be re-made.

Second that. The service module is so useful as a general purpose service module/engine block - I pair it with a ton of different components, use it as a space tug, etc.

The umbilical is on the soy-juice's decoupler though. Which is sort of a specialized part to begin with. It's also set up as an engine fairing so it can be jettisoned. It would be nice if engine shrouds became a tweakable at some point...

The umbilical is on the soy-juice's decoupler though. Which is sort of a specialized part to begin with. It's also set up as an engine fairing so it can be jettisoned. It would be nice if engine shrouds became a tweakable at some point...

Oh, in that case... Objection retracted. :) Carry on with your bad self.

IbzPxxQ.jpg

So from left to right:

-First implementation of the umbilical. The wires are a little brighter than I wanted so a little bit of fiddling is required to get them the way I want 'em. I like that they add some color though.

-New texturing on the heatshield. I like how the bottom came out, but the top still needs some more detail.

-A look at the engine side of the service module. Just generally looking better than before. :)

Been a little busier and lazier IRL than I'd like but I'm moving from part to part. I want to move up to the OM soon and finish it inside and out. I want to come out with an update this week, but I need to find some time to do bug fixing type stuff before I can. Overall I've got to say that I'm really happy with the way things are going even if it is slow. To think that just a little over six months ago my work looked like this:

2013-12-07_00001_zps0c0a8a85.jpg

*froth*

Those look amazing. Take all the time you need. (The Radish mk1 also had its charm as well, but I digress >< )

Oh, and an edit to add this creation: Qbbu31s.png. I'm not sure i've seen the PMK used as much, but it's being pressed into action as a Duna Lander, hopefully. (It's currently on a transfer orbit.)

It might be the most lopsided thing i've built in some time :D

Edited by komodo

These look a lot better Orionkermin! Are you going to add some more detail to the Radish??

One day. My sort of plan is that when I feel that HGR is completely done, I'll remake the Radish from scratch to incorporate everything I've learned and sort of bring things full circle.

Edit: Komodo what's on top of the lander? Also, I think the PMK just needs some more polish, I'll get back to it at some point. Does anybody else find the docking scope useful? I really enjoy using it, although I still need to add some indicators.

screenshot95_zps22bbc3ce.png

Edited by Orionkermin

I was able to fix the issue with the service module's animation and BahamutoD's engine animation plug-in. It's an easy fix and I still won't be updating for a couple days, so here it is:

Just delete the following line from the service module's cfg file and it should function properly.

MODULE
{
name = BDEngineCase //this relies on a stock ModuleAnimateGeneric. It activates any directly stacked child engines when ModuleAnimateGeneric is deployed
}

Moving on to updating the Landertron functionality and taking a second look at the realchutes cfg now.

Edit: Thanks XanderTek the new version of Landertron is great, it's nice to have the GUI cleaned up!

Edited by Orionkermin

Suggestion: The tall adapters (both 1.25m to 1.875m and 1.875m to 2.5m) should have some fuel in it. It could be useful on some designs.

I tried to add my own with module manager file, but couldn't get it working.

One day. My sort of plan is that when I feel that HGR is completely done, I'll remake the Radish from scratch to incorporate everything I've learned and sort of bring things full circle.

Edit: Komodo what's on top of the lander? Also, I think the PMK just needs some more polish, I'll get back to it at some point. Does anybody else find the docking scope useful? I really enjoy using it, although I still need to add some indicators.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/morrowindorion/screenshot95_zps22bbc3ce.png

The cap I put on the PMK are the science bays from DMagic for universal storage (Thread link).

I have yet to try to land the critter though. (Landing on duna will be a new adventure. It's got 4 realchutes on the roof and a set of landertrons... only one way to find out!)

...I didn't even know of the docking scope, I will have to try that out. Kudos on sneaking that in there.

Suggestion: The tall adapters (both 1.25m to 1.875m and 1.875m to 2.5m) should have some fuel in it. It could be useful on some designs.

I tried to add my own with module manager file, but couldn't get it working.

For the MM file, check how Stock Rebalance did it for a comparison; Link. I will stick my foot in it and say it seems pretty straight forward, but it may not be so simple.

One thing that bugs me about the rocket parts is that the rings on the top and bottom of the fuel tanks are 1.875 meter, but then it goes waay in and is closer to around 1.625 or so. I feel like the whole tank should be smoother, aside from the surface details like pies and wires etc. It was also a cool realization that the Service Module from SumDum Heavy Industries is 1.875 meter.

One thing that bugs me about the rocket parts is that the rings on the top and bottom of the fuel tanks are 1.875 meter, but then it goes waay in and is closer to around 1.625 or so. I feel like the whole tank should be smoother, aside from the surface details like pies and wires etc. It was also a cool realization that the Service Module from SumDum Heavy Industries is 1.875 meter.

Check out the comparison shot in the OP, the stock parts are wider at the ends. Maybe to a slightly less degree than mine, but I was still just imitating this style when I made them and decided that I would be a bit silly and add screws that bolt the tanks together. Seemed like a kerbal enough thing to do. I'm a fan of the idea that kerbals build their stuff from junk, (My theory is they're a benevolent subspecies of 40k ork) so my work reflects this. To me they build rockets out of trash and somehow it works. Sort of like box trolls too, hmm.

Hey, the Soy-Juce's OM is acting weird texture-wise. It's always dark except for the parts directly in the centre of view. I *do* have a lot of mods installed, so if that's not a thing, it might just be my mods not playing nice.

Also, (bit of a request, sorry) would you ever consider doing a Dragon-like pod and SM? One that's up to (or slightly smaller than) the 2.5 metre at the base, with a 1.875 metre top and a 1.875 metre SM. Perhaps even add some bits at the top so it fits well with Sum Dum's berthing ports?

After installing the HGR Beta release, I find that my SPUD capsules are now missing RasterPropMonitors. They had RPMs when I was using the HGR main release, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Anybody know how to get the RPMs back?

Newest update is up. Check out the OP for the DL link.

It's mostly just improved textures but also includes functionality updates such as:

-Updated landertron (Soy-juice GUI not so cluttered)

-Service module works properly with BahamutoD's animation plug-in. (Plug-in now included)

-Docking port should have an easier time connecting now

-fixed the Spud's missing RPMs. (thanks HawkW)

I also added a texture reduction pack to the download. Right now it only includes the textures that have been updated. Check the readme for installation instructions.

Edited by Orionkermin

Newest update is up. Check out the OP for the DL link.

It's mostly just improved textures but also includes functionality updates such as:

-Updated landertron (Soy-juice GUI not so cluttered)

-Service module works properly with BahamutoD's animation plug-in. (Plug-in now included)

-Docking port should have an easier time connecting now

-fixed the Spud's missing RPMs. (thanks HawkW)

I also added a texture reduction pack to the download. Right now it only includes the textures that have been updated. Check the readme for installation instructions.

All right, thanks for the speedy response! Do you know if this release will work with the new RPM release that came out yesterday? I've been holding off on installing it since it looks like there might be some compatibility issues.

Keep up the good work!

Oh not sure. I've known RPM was going to be updating for a while but wasn't sure of the exact date. It'll take me a little time to update all the IVAs with the new version. With the spud I just added in the old ones that were missing.

Oh not sure. I've known RPM was going to be updating for a while but wasn't sure of the exact date. It'll take me a little time to update all the IVAs with the new version. With the spud I just added in the old ones that were missing.

Cool, I'll hold off on updating, then. The SPUD RPMs are back in place - thanks!

rDVkYmU.jpg

Got some low profile RCS blocks made. They all use a small shared texture so they're nice and low impact.

One has it's horizontal thrusters at a 45 degree angle so it works best on non cardinal mount points.

The other two are meant to be used in pairs similarly to those you'd use on a spaceplane. Good if you don't want them to thrust strait at solar panels. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.