Yet another docking question

So I've googled and googled and cannot find the answer to my conundrum. I am very much hoping someone can put me back on track without forcing a major rethink.

Basically this all goes very well until I try and re-dock the rover to the lander. No matter how exquisitely I line up the docking ports, when I retract the landing legs to mate the docking ports it will not happen (despite magnetism going on) and it either looks like it has docked but hasn't, or the docking port on the lander jut sails straight through it's counterpart on the rover.

screenshot950_zps6c433918.png

If anyone can shed light on this I would be most grateful, and kudos to the person to first identify the mission architecture....

Edited by Speeding Mullet
changed to answered!

When you slide the rover under the ship do you see the magnetism doing anything at all? It should be tugging at your lander a bit. If not then you might be sunk, I've not been very successful at retracting legs to get a dock to work.

I ran into this problem on a similar design (The base construction mod pack) and here is how I had to get them docked, Make sure the ASAS is off!!! If the magnetism is tugging at it a bit you should be able to gently rock it a bit and with luck the magnets lock tight and you dock.

It looks like the rover is veering a little to the left. Once you get the rover perfectly centered under it, try putting on all the brakes, and then open and close the landing legs on the base part over and over until it docks. If it doesn't dock try just lifting the landing legs, and having the rover drive a bit with the base balancing on top, and maybe it will click. Turn of SAS for sure. Make sure you put the docking ports on the right way......

When you slide the rover under the ship do you see the magnetism doing anything at all?

Yup magnetism doing it's thing, trying to lift the rover up.

My first thought is to make sure SAS is off on both craft.

SAS off on both craft

It looks like the rover is veering a little to the left.

I've tried on even ground, centered perfectly, button bashing the legs, driving etc but to no avail. Ports on correct way confirmed.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far much appreciated, no resolution at this point.

If...you press F5 during docking process. And Load after that. You might encounter game bugs.

I'm pretty sure I didn't, but to test would I run the mission from the start without f5ing?

It's pretty central to the mobility of the base so I'd like to get to the bottom of this!

I'm pretty sure I didn't, but to test would I run the mission from the start without f5ing?

Just make a backup of your persistent file or for added assurance your entire save folder. You should be doing that anyway in an Alpha game, as something coudl cause it to totally fail at any time. It's extremely rare but it could still happen.

Are there any parts majorly clipping on the craft? All I can see is the two Hitchhiker containers, but something that small shouldn't cause it. Check to see if you have an entire part inside another one, because that can sometimes cause a bug where docking ports don't work.

If you are not having any Docking Port Bug Issues then you should try wiggling the rover around with the landing legs of your lander retracted. that might cause your base to wiggle into place (Be sure to quicksave before trying anything)

Just make a backup of your persistent file or for added assurance your entire save folder. You should be doing that anyway in an Alpha game, as something coudl cause it to totally fail at any time. It's extremely rare but it could still happen.

Tried relaunching the mission without F5 for the entire trip. replicated docking and still didn't work.

Did you check for the docking port bug? The one where it is set as locked?

No, how would I do this?

Are there any parts majorly clipping on the craft? All I can see is the two Hitchhiker containers, but something that small shouldn't cause it. Check to see if you have an entire part inside another one, because that can sometimes cause a bug where docking ports don't work.

There is actually 4 hitchhikers clipped off a 1 to 4 adaptor. I checked the docking ports nothing seems duplicated or out of the ordinary.

If you have RCS systemry on the rover, you could try "flying" the rover up to meet the bottom of the lander...

I tried that, the magnetism worked but it didn't engage. I tried attaching engines to do the same work, still nothing.

If you are not having any Docking Port Bug Issues then you should try wiggling the rover around with the landing legs of your lander retracted. that might cause your base to wiggle into place (Be sure to quicksave before trying anything)

I've tried this, on Kerbin and Duna and it's not working, I drove around, wobbled braked sharply, bounced everything I could thing of, and nothing.

Is it possible that the vertical weight of the lander is too much for the docking port in some way? I've noticed once or twice the docking port just going straight through the one on the rover...

Still unresolved on this but appreciate all the tips!

No, how would I do this?

I've tried this, on Kerbin and Duna and it's not working, I drove around, wobbled braked sharply, bounced everything I could thing of, and nothing.

Is it possible that the vertical weight of the lander is too much for the docking port in some way? I've noticed once or twice the docking port just going straight through the one on the rover...

Still unresolved on this but appreciate all the tips!

In your Persistant (Or quicksave, doesn't really matter) if you go to your ship and look for the docking port part there will be code that says this

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
isEnabled = True
state = Ready
dockUId = 0
dockNodeIdx = 0

If the docking port is undocked and "state = " says anything other than Ready change it to Ready (This is the docking port bug and solution in case you were wondering)

Another alternative (again if the above is not the issue) is to turn off gravity for an instant and let the two dock that way (Make sure magnets engage)

Thanks I checked everything with the persistent and all seemed fine. I just tried it again and turns out that there is clearly a weak point in my design surrounding the docking port and the 1-4 node, possibly the problem, although it's the first time it's done this as well as not docking!

screenshot1069_zps63058115.png

I may have to rethink the lander design which would be a shame...

Sr.Clampotrons needs a lot of precision to dock properly... if you'll redesign the lander, use normal clampotrons and add some medium sized legs to the rover... Adjust position of the legs, and raise the rover to the port, instead of moving the lander. and test it on kerbin before sending it to space. :P

Sr.Clampotrons needs a lot of precision to dock properly... if you'll redesign the lander, use normal clampotrons and add some medium sized legs to the rover... Adjust position of the legs, and raise the rover to the port, instead of moving the lander. and test it on kerbin before sending it to space. :P

You sir have earned some internet points (edit: I have to spread them around before giving them to you again it seems!)

Redesigned as specified, apart from I'm using up engines instead of legs, and worked a treat first time. My Duna Direct mission is back on track after some hasty testing!! It was really important for the docking port to work as I wanted the Kermans to be able to get into the rover without suiting up, and in terms of the small amount of base mobility required it was also important in joining up later missions. Thanks once again!

screenshot1308_zps8d6eae4c.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.