[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

856 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Real Solar Systems? Currently not. FF depends on the celestial body names at the moment and RSS changes them. But FF doesn't do anything with your save file, so it's hard to believe it gets corrupted because of FF. FF uses the Game.Updated() method, maybe there is a threading issue or its not intended to be used like this. But it never has corruped any of my saves (and I save/quit/reload often while I'm testing FF) and it works for others well, too. So I doubt there is an issue.

AFAIK the current version of RSS does not change any of the body names. I'm guessing bugs like this are probably why.

Final Frontier 0.3.24 is online

Changes:

• Tracking of time spent in EVA
  • 8 new ribbons for 1h, 2h, 6h, 12h, 24h, 48h, 96h and 192h in EVA
  • Size of ribbon display in Decoration Board adjusted

Download FinalFrontier

Edited by Nereid

Bug report: EVAs trigger the mission counter. So my kerbal has 6 M+ and 3 B+ and Final Frontier tells me he's been on 9 missions

Also, anyone have thoughts on Mach ribbons?

Thank you for reporting. When did this happen? Directly by returning form EVA? After a load or quickload? I check this, when I'm back from work in a few hours.

Mach ribbon... Whats the speed of sound on Kerbal at sea level? There is a field "AtmDensity" (atmospheric densitiy) so I can adjust Machlevel dependend on height. But how is it calculated? Half atmospheric pressure double speed for same Mach level?

EDIT: Or does KSP do all the calculations regarding Mach for me? I will have to check this...

Edited by Nereid

I edited the record directly. Just adding or removing the EVA entries would affect the mission count on reload of the game file.

Actually I just realized I was thinking of FAR showing you Mach numbers, not really thinking about whether such a thing would be done with stock. Requiring FAR for this to work wouldn't be a good thing :/

I edited the record directly. Just adding or removing the EVA entries would affect the mission count on reload of the game file.

Actually I just realized I was thinking of FAR showing you Mach numbers, not really thinking about whether such a thing would be done with stock. Requiring FAR for this to work wouldn't be a good thing :/

I won't need FAR if I can do the math myself. But I can install FAR as some kind of reference.

EDIT:

If FAR calculates Mach correctly it should be something like this:

sound of speed = constant * SQRT ( atmospheric pressure )

where constant depends on the celestial body.

Edited by Nereid

Bug report: EVAs trigger the mission counter. So my kerbal has 6 M+ and 3 B+ and Final Frontier tells me he's been on 9 missions

Also, anyone have thoughts on Mach ribbons?

Fixed in 0.3.24b.

Download FinalFrontier

BTW: There is a small other issue. When KSP is freshly started the sorting in the Hall of Fame may be incorrect. Then just press the Sort by button again. This is a pure cosmetig issue and will be fixed soon. The code for sorting filtering and actions like EVA, Boarding, Docking, Recovering,... need an overhaul anyway.

Edited by Nereid

Most excellent. BTW, still seeing this in my output_log.txt, noticed it when looking into a separate issue:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Nereid.FinalFrontier.FinalFrontier.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Most excellent. BTW, still seeing this in my output_log.txt, noticed it when looking into a separate issue:

at Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Nereid.FinalFrontier.FinalFrontier.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I saw those too, and they all happen while the game is loading up. I took a brief look at the code and the plugin is starting up in KSPAddon.Startup.EveryScene, which includes the loading screen. I didn't trace it all the way, but somehow it's making its way to code that looks for the active vessel, and of course, there is no vessel to be found seeing as how you haven't even got to a main menu to load a game up.

Edit: Personally, I think it's safe to ignore until Nereid is able to fix it.

It shouldn't ​be able to affect anything else. That I can see.

I will fix this in the upcoming release. Currently I'm redesigning a few classes to make maintaining and extending FF easier. The good new: Most is done so far. The bad news: I had to change the Achievement class and some other quite a lot. So the next release may have some new bugs because of restructuring the code.

So I will keep the download link to 0.3.24b and keep maintaining that version in a branch for a while.

I will try the Mach ribbon suggestion, too.

Edited by Nereid

Final Frontier 0.4.3 is online

Changes:

• Redesign of code
  • 8 new ribbons for accelerating to Mach 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 15 below 25.000m in Kerbin atmosphere
  • FAR (Ferram Aerospace Research) optional (with Package FinalFrontierFAR.zip)

Download FinalFrontier

Optional Package for FAR:FinalFrontierFAR.zip

If you are using FAR (Ferram Aerospace Research, forum) from ferram4, just unzip the contents of FinalFrontierFAR.zip in your GameData folder. It will replace the file GameData\Nereid\FinalFrontier\Plugins\FAR-Adapter.dll. After activating FAR in the config window, FinalFrontier will use calculations from FAR if possible.

EDIT: Well that was a strange one... worked flawless at first. And then... KSP decides to behave different and started some launches with mach 15 and more on the ground... this and another nasty behavior should be fixed in 0.4.3

EDIT2: The restrictions for the new Mach ribbons are up to discussion. I have choosen 25,000m, because it's an everyday task to get above Mach 3 by launching a rocket. But it's quite hard to get beyond Mach 3 in the lesser Kerbin atmosphere (at least in my tests; never tried that before).

And the algorithm that detects changes in the mach number (to avoid testing for an achievement every fraction of a second) ist a bit questionable, too. Currently it won't detect a flight with Mach 3 coming from over 25,000m and descending to 20,000m. The event fires only once and the conditions werent met, so the ribbon doesn't get awarded, when the vessel goes below 20,000m.

Edited by Nereid

Coolness, will let you know if I see any problems. FYI you left the FAR-Adapter.dll in the main install package

No. That's a different dll. It has the same name but it wont connect to FAR. You will have to use the FAR-Adapter from the extra package to use FF with FAR.

I'm not quite satisfied with the Mach ribbons. So, how you think they should work?

1. Awarding a Mach ribbon regardless of direction of flight and altitude. This will award a Mach III ribbon to any kerbal that launches vertically into orbit.
  2. Awarding a Mach ribbon just below 25,0000m. This will make it very hard to get a higher Mach ribbon.
  3. Awarding a Mach ribbon just below a special altitude that depends on the Mach Number.
  4. Awarding a Mach ribbon regardless of altitude but only taking the horizontal part of the speed into account.
  5. Awarding a Mach ribbon regardless of altitude but starting at Mach 5 or higher.

The formula for calculating the Mach Number is quite funny, I know. I have done a lot tests to get as similar results as FAR gets as possible. As a result the formula has nothing to do with physics. Its just a pure artificial and mathematical construct to get similar results.

And let me know if anything in 0.4.3 won't work anymore. I had to change the code because there were a lot if(code==x)... else if(code==y)... in there. At the beginning there were only some extra if-constructs for beginning a missing an a recover from a mission. But with dockings, custom ribbons, EVA and potential other things in future it starts to get really awful. Now most of the codes are handled in a similar and more generic way.

Awarding a Mach ribbon regardless of altitude but only taking the horizontal part of the speed into account.

I think that'd be best.. Still put an upper limit on it (35km?) because at the final part of the gravity turn, you're going to be building speed horizontally and still be in atmo but really high up so it's going to be easily awarded then. But if you include a max height you can achieve this.. I don't think many rockets go stupidly fast below 30km but planes do the majority of their 'ascent' below that altitude so it would limit the awarding to just them..

So yeah, only award it to kerbals that reach a specific horizontal speed below a certain height. Possibly around 30km or whenever the atmo starts to really thin out.

I think that'd be best.. Still put an upper limit on it (35km?) because at the final part of the gravity turn, you're going to be building speed horizontally and still be in atmo but really high up so it's going to be easily awarded then. But if you include a max height you can achieve this.. I don't think many rockets go stupidly fast below 30km but planes do the majority of their 'ascent' below that altitude so it would limit the awarding to just them..

So yeah, only award it to kerbals that reach a specific horizontal speed below a certain height. Possibly around 30km or whenever the atmo starts to really thin out.

30 km sounds like a good height, as some supersonic craft that are powered solely by jets can get that high if they are designed right.

Just thought I would drop in and say thanx for this neat mod...

...and let you know it has recently started giving my more adventurous Kerbals double ribbons for doing something first. (as in they get the "First Orbiter" ribbon as well as the "Orbiter" ribbon.)

Again, thank you for making a mod that gives my kerbals more personality.

So 2 quick bug reports, both relating to the "First Kerbal in Space" ribbon:

1. The interface calls it the "Awarded to the first kerbal in space Ribbon".

2. It seems to be awarded to the first Kerbal to EVA at all, regardless of whether or not they actually are in space. Maybe that one's intentional, but it doesn't seem to be.

Other than that, happy to say that this mod works great!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.