Need some help getting a rover on the Mun

Oh, wow thats even smaller than I though.

Yeah, I'd recommend ditching the landing legs, placing the lights where the legs used to be, and attaching the rover to a small sky-hook using a separator. If there's nothing on the bottom of the rover, you can mount the whole thing upright on top of the transfer stage. I'd also probably lose the 6 radially mounted batteries on the body, too. But that's just me.

Like this:

vlNcyI7.jpg

Or this

ZiP9938.jpg

Be sure to reverse the decoupler if you want it to detach from the rover, and add a probe body to the sky crane if you want to control it after landing. Dandy if you have enough fuel to send it on an escape trajectory if you just let it go by itself. You can just steer it into the terrain.

Like what Tank Buddy suggested. A small stack decoupler with your rover hanging on it would do the trick. Be sure to aim the decoupler so that it stays with the crane and not on your rover. And make sure the engines are not firing into the rover itself - that's a great way to make noise and, later on, a new Münar crater.

May I offer some unsolicited advice? You need to stick something with a high impact tolerance on the front of that rover (a girder or structural panel), and probably on the top as well. You'll thank me the first time you lose control over it at 20 m/s; the Mün, she is a heartless RAGING HERD OF SOMEWHAT FERAL RABBITS, especially towards small rovers like yours.

EDIT: As for putting it on a rocket, you should have an attachment point on the bottom of that Rovemax. If not, make one with a BZ-52 or Cubic Octagonal strut (be sure to place it right under the center of mass or you'll have additional fun (using the Dwarf Fortress definition of fun)). Then use a small stack decoupler with a girder underneath to attach it to your booster. Do it right and you can send up your whole skycrane that way.

Edited by capi3101

This is kind of what I've been trying. But how to I then attach that lander thing to a rocket that actually flies?

Instead of the nose-cone, add a decoupler - and have your sky-crane and rover inverted on the rocket. Here's a video from my 0.22 career mode let's play - skip to about 8:00 into the video to see how I made the Landercan and Rover the "top" stage, by inverting them.

Edited by EtherDragon

You could swap the landing legs for the tiny radial rockets, add a few toroidal fuel tanks and land it without a sky crane like my Mun Bug:

69A9951D488BCC4E6679AEA227749590D66B2ACA

8AC2454FB30335D1EB1D564FF1F5FBC59CB41034

Note it was very difficult to land and is somewhat top heavy, making driving difficult. If I was to do it over I'd still try the no sky crane idea but would probably design the rover a bit differently.

You can do either of 2 things:

A. Remove the nose cone (just there for show) and place a decoupler, flip the whole apparatus upside down and put it on a rocket with a probe core oriented correctly.

B. Just put the rocket under the rover and add struts.

Sky-cranes are all right... But why not put a base up there while you're at it?

Here's me, pre-launch:

tumblr_n05gclRlGe1tq6149o1_1280.png

-and-

tumblr_n05gclRlGe1tq6149o2_1280.png

As soon as I touched down, I retracted the legs attached to the 909, and gently tipped it onto the lateral gear.

The final result:

tumblr_n05gzdzM591tq6149o1_1280.png

-note-

Damage to the rover seen here was caused post landing, and by pulling sweet jumps

Strange thing. I've built it and flown it, but during flight, my prograde, retrograde, and maneuver symbols are backwards. That is, if I point to the prograde icon, I'm actually burning retrograde and vice versa. Any ideas why this is?

rov.jpg

Usually that means the control point you're using is oriented upside down relative to the rest of your craft. If you go to attach things inverted, it's something you have to deal with (personal experience on this). What you can do is select another control point when you go for launch...say, add another probe core just below that decoupler in that pic you've got there, switch to it before you lift off and then when you go to decouple, whatever control point you've got on that lander should take over and be oriented the correct way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.