Unable to name my spacecrafts in the VAB (and another problem)

Hello guys,

I will be very straightforward: I can't name my spacecraft when I am in the VAB. There is no box above where we can give a name to our creations; and when I click at the place where this box should be, a rectangle appears, but I can't do anything :(

Can someone help me?

Also, still in the VAB, I want to switch Kerbals, but when I'm on the lauchpad, the previous Kerbal is still there, instead of the new one

Can someone help me? (and sorry for my English :rolleyes: )

I don't know about the inability to name your spacecraft (sounds like a bug) but as far as your Kerbals go, if you switch crew, and then make a change to your rocket before launch it will reset the crew assignment. A good thing to do right before launch is to check your staging and check your crew assignment then hit the launch button.

Try exiting and restarting KSP for the name problem. If that doesn't work you might reinstall it. One thought if it never worked: are you using a localized version of windows? Maybe KSP hasn't been localized for your language?

I ran into that Kerbal switch too very annoying I hope they change it so the previous chosen Kerbal is the default.

I don't know about the inability to name your spacecraft (sounds like a bug) but as far as your Kerbals go, if you switch crew, and then make a change to your rocket before launch it will reset the crew assignment. A good thing to do right before launch is to check your staging and check your crew assignment then hit the launch button.

OK, thanks! :)

Try exiting and restarting KSP for the name problem. If that doesn't work you might reinstall it. One thought if it never worked: are you using a localized version of windows? Maybe KSP hasn't been localized for your language?

I ran into that Kerbal switch too very annoying I hope they change it so the previous chosen Kerbal is the default.

I think I will reinstall it. With Steam, will my saves and my spacecrafts be kept in their states (I have one spacecraft that is going to Moho and my career mode is going pretty well)?

And Voculus, no, I don't have the Ubio Welding Mod. But thanks for the help :)

I've difinitely had the same problem, only whenever I managed to get out of the VAB, the game crashed.

shutting it down and restarting it fixed the problem, although it would occasionally happen again.

I think it had something to do with some of the mods I was using at the time, namely remote tech, but that was a while ago and the subsequent updates for it have gotten rid of that problem.

I think I will reinstall it. With Steam, will my saves and my spacecrafts be kept in their states (I have one spacecraft that is going to Moho and my career mode is going pretty well)?

You'll need to save and transfer your save game's data. It's probably best to take the whole directory over. Do you have *any* mods installed?

You'll need to save and transfer your save game's data. It's probably best to take the whole directory over. Do you have *any* mods installed?

Indeed I have mods installed, but what about the option "Backup Game Files" of Steam?

I don't know about steam, but even before I tried that I would recommend making a copy of your "saves" directory.

Also, if you have mod components installed on any of your craft that are in flight you will need those mods in your fresh install. So if one of those is the problem, then you'll have a hard time cleaning up your save game.

I found the origin of the problem: a file in the Plugins folder. Seems like one of my addon is the cause of the unability of naming my spacecrafts.

So far, my plugins are:

cart.dll

CleverBobCat.dll

FerramAerospaceResearch.dll

Firespitter.dll

HyperjumpSystem.dll

ISA_MapSat.dll

MuMechLib.dll

And in the Plugin Data folder (which is a sub folder inside the Plugins folder) :

Ferram Aerospace Research (config.xml)

Isa_MapSat (guiTextures file, hilo.dat, and 3 .png that is the map of Kerbin)

MuMechLib (MechJeb.cfg)

protractor (config.xml and two .png pictures)

Do you know if any of these files can cause the problem?

Edited by rocket11
Correct some errors

the option "Backup Game Files" of Steam?

This will pack the whole game for storing and later re-installing without the need to download it again.

I am either to lazy or not paranoid enough to do this just in case Steam went offline forever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.