[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

How does this thing handle in the atmosphere without engines? Does it glide without tweaking out or bank 90 degrees in 0.06 seconds?

You can see a pretty standard renentry here:

I wind up firing the engines a bit to make the runway, but thats because I burned too much in orbit to reenter. Keep in mind that the video is sped up, so the movements of the shuttle are exaggerated.

That's a very nice shuttle construction or you got us here. And that Boran sure looks gorgeous...

Yeah, people, I prefer the Russian ripoff of the Space Shuttle, because it is bigger, it has a greater cargo hold thereof, and it is also bigger . Get over it.

... did I mention it is bigger?

Anyways, what bus me is the service vehicles. If none of them is large enough to transfer the Shuttle, what's the point? (other than getting a pretty nice helicopter to fly around with)

If none of them is large enough to transfer the Shuttle, what's the point? (other than getting a pretty nice helicopter to fly around with)

Theyre service vehicles... they are meant to service the craft... not carry it or move it... mostly the service vehicles are for use with KAS, to transfer fuel and components around KSC.

You can see a pretty standard renentry here:

I wind up firing the engines a bit to make the runway, but thats because I burned too much in orbit to reenter. Keep in mind that the video is sped up, so the movements of the shuttle are exaggerated.

That video's perfect. I've done my share of re-entries in my own shuttles from B9 parts and the like. The thing I was looking for most was your angle of attack and your actual flight path shown by the meatball (FPV). If you're sitting at 0 degrees level, but the meatball is sitting at -30 degrees, you're basically falling and not gliding at all, but even without engines yours stayed only slightly under your actual AOA which is perfect

I still have a remaining issue, though. The landing gear acts like it's weak. It buckles and bounces and clips pretty badly into the craft itself. Had a very gentle landing and they just gave way and the craft started banking and wobbling while rolling down the runway, then under braking they increasingly clip through the wings and induces wobble. This is with the Buran version

Edited by Sabor

Theyre service vehicles... they are meant to service the craft... not carry it or move it... mostly the service vehicles are for use with KAS, to transfer fuel and components around KSC.

Ohhhh, they are meant for the Kerbal Attachment System. Hadn't thought of that.

Mission 18 is done! Freedom delivers the Aeroponics module to Munbase Alpha. Bill, Bob and Jeb board ALCOR, their mission complete. Lisa announces that she's stepping down as shuttle commander. And just what is behind the payload shrouds of Dragonfly?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Link to album

That'll be it for awhile, I'm working on a new part for Multipurpose Colony Modules.

O.O W-W-WAIT WHAT!?!?!?!

What sorcery is this? I just added a line of code and all of a sudden all behave like it should? is this a dream?

My game used to run with 2,9 Gb ram and now i add a word and my game run at 1.7?!?!?!?

I... i don't know what to say... adding this mod is now possible! (at the cost of 3.0GB of ram and around 10 min to load the game, but who cares? i can now play with the stuff that i want, and make my kerbal experience complete)

Thanks sooooooo much for the advice Kerbas_ad_astram! really, u have my gratitude.

P.S. my GameData folder is 2.75GB... i think i overkilled u on that :P...

Currently My Game Data Folder is 4.79GB and I still have 4 more mods im waiting to be updated

KSO is great!

But I have a question for those of you also using it. The RCS for the larger orbiter is way off-center, causing it to rotate all over the place when translating.

I clipped a couple big SAS modules into both ends of the cargo bay, and that holds it still enough for maneuvering, but is there a more elegant or effective solution to this problem?

KSO is great!

But I have a question for those of you also using it. The RCS for the larger orbiter is way off-center, causing it to rotate all over the place when translating.

I clipped a couple big SAS modules into both ends of the cargo bay, and that holds it still enough for maneuvering, but is there a more elegant or effective solution to this problem?

I'd recommend using the precision controls. It decreases your acceleration pretty significantly, making slowing down a little harder, but it does improve your rotation control.

O.O master! Teach me how to mod, please!

One thing that is pretty useful when loading a lot of mods is forcing KSP to run with OpenGL drivers, which reduces the RAM used by textures and whatnot (AFAIK, I'm not familiar with the mechanics). Ordinarily KSP crashes with all the mods I have installed, but using the OpenGL drivers fixes that. This isn't really necessary when running 64-bit KSP, but for the much more stable and playable 32-bit, it lets you use a lot more mods.

Here's the forum thread with instructions for Windows.

BUG:

All of the wheels on my cars and trucks are falling thro the ground when I load in on the launch.

What we've figured out is that the wheels are silly. Try turning them around until they work correctly and then take note of the markings on the insides. They all have little arrows or something similar that indicate which way is up, but they don't always work.

What we've figured out is that the wheels are silly. Try turning them around until they work correctly and then take note of the markings on the insides. They all have little arrows or something similar that indicate which way is up, but they don't always work.

It worked Thank you

This doesn't work with 0.25!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

1. You don't have to spam it.

2. Yes it does.

It would be helpful if you had a log and said what didn't work about it. Not just, "This doesn't work with 0.25."

1. You don't have to spam it.

Forum probably just spazzed out. I've had that happen to me where I only submitted one reply and it turned into multiples which then got merged into one post.

(and yes, more information is required! Also welcome to the forum Mr Kerbol. Please read the guidelines on submitting issues: How To Get Support (READ FIRST))

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This mod is a memory hog. I am gonna say you are hitting the memory limit. You need to run Active Texture a management and almost no other mods. However it could be something else but we can't determine that unless you tell us what's wrong/post your log.

Actually, this mod is updated to work with 0.25. The problem (as has been pointed out before) is probably KSP running out of memory that it can use for the 32-bit version (NOTE: we don't really support the 64-bit version of KSP because of how unstable it is).

However, we can't determine the full problem unless you post crash reports and error logs. When KSP crashes (assuming that is what happens) it will tell you where it placed the crash reports, usually in a folder named by date and time next to the KSP executable. If you can post those via a service like PasteBin we can take a look at that to figure out the problem for sure.

As for using KSOS with other mods, somehow I've managed to get it working with a bunch of other stuff. My method involves the OpenGL execution flags and a couple other things (I think). I'll try to figure out what I did to get it working with as many mods as I have and I'll post that info whenever I can.

This mod is great! But I have problems with reentry.

I follow the steps from the manual and from post in this thread, but it seems like the Orbiter isn't losing speed fast enough. And keeps bouncing up into space.

I use the Block 9 Orbiter. This is what I do:

- Dump fuel

- Make a deorbit burn roughly 90 degrees before KSC, so that the line ends just past the Island east of KSC

- Pitch the Orbiter 20 degrees up when entering the atmosphere.

When I do this, the oribiter keeps ascending because the speed doesn't drop fast enough.

I also tried pitching down more, but I enter the atmosphere at 1500 m/s or faster and the Orbiter breaks up due to atmospheric stresses.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks!