[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Heh, I didn't know I did an RTLS abort. I was just trying to get the shuttle and it's crew safely back to the space center.

Tell ya what, a lot of the IRL Shuttle pilots were actually afraid of an RTLS abort. Even one called it an "unnatural act of physics," and another said it was just busywork for the astronauts to do while they waited to die. Probably because it was a lot of stress for the astronauts, and it wasn't tested in real life, only on paper.

Tell ya what, a lot of the IRL Shuttle pilots were actually afraid of an RTLS abort. Even one called it an "unnatural act of physics," and another said it was just busywork for the astronauts to do while they waited to die. Probably because it was a lot of stress for the astronauts, and it wasn't tested in real life, only on paper.

I like this quote from John Young about how STS 1 was going to be a RTLS test... "Let's not practice Russian roulette, because you may have a loaded gun there."

The 71st of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 171 is the first flight of the Super 25! The XS25 Experimental Tester! STS 171's objectives are to deliver a diplomatic treaty to the Rebels orbiting Kerbin and to deploy the Asteroid Hunter Probe on a mission to capture a Class E Asteroid! The KSO Super 25 is ready in the nick of time, as an existential crisis brings the Rebels and Loyalists closer, if only for a short while.

STS 171 will will deploy the Asteroid Wrangler Probe!

Most of the footage shown in 20x speed for quicker viewing.

Speaking of Asteroid hunting, Russian Space Station from Armageddon and X-71 replica made with KSO parts

Javascript is disabled. View full album
. Edited by sp1989

Haven't done an overly large amount of research as im at work atm. But whenever I fly the shuttles (custom made and the included .craft files) they always seem really wobbly, i.e trying to yaw in zero atmosphere will cause my roll to go crazy and i even get some pitch action going on. It just seems really unstable, extremely hard to fly in atmosphere aswell, pulling up causes me to roll to the right. I most likely just have a problem somewhere. Wondering if anyone has similar problems or ideas. I can only assume the space problems are caused by placement of the rcs modules. Might be the double tail fins... will test when im home but for now ill leave this here.

Awesome space station above me btw.

Haven't done an overly large amount of research as im at work atm. But whenever I fly the shuttles (custom made and the included .craft files) they always seem really wobbly, i.e trying to yaw in zero atmosphere will cause my roll to go crazy and i even get some pitch action going on. It just seems really unstable, extremely hard to fly in atmosphere aswell, pulling up causes me to roll to the right. I most likely just have a problem somewhere. Wondering if anyone has similar problems or ideas. I can only assume the space problems are caused by placement of the rcs modules. Might be the double tail fins... will test when im home but for now ill leave this here.

Awesome space station above me btw.

You should download the latest version.

Otherwise "difficulty" is relative. I rate the KSOS at a 7 in terms of difficulty. That was my goal and that's how it stays (10 being insta-button easy). The proof is in all the streams I've done. Even before the torque was fixed (which was a file mix up error) I still had no difficulty translating and/or maneuvering in and around and docking with my station. http://www.twitch.tv/fanbus

No shuttle-no shuttle, is going to handle perfect to zero. The only shuttle that'll handle that way is the one you part out yourself (using Bac9 or stock parts). But KSOS was never intended for that specifically.

Is it unstable? Sure, is it extremely unstable? Not at all. I suspect you've got a conflicting mod or something else is the cause. I invite you to watch the stream (I normally post here when it's about to go live) and witness how I handle it. If your experience isn't similar to what you see, odds are there is a problem.

The KSOS has always been designed to be easy, for newbs, like me. In fact if anything its lift values and torque values lean a bit toward the overpowered side of things specifically to make flying it be painless. :D

Phase IV continued work in progress

-Phase IV has entered testing.

-I'm trickling in the parts. Fire truck should be completed shortly.

-Next up aerospace Rover kit (yes kit).

-Kerbostar

Click for larger image

vGSYhYb.jpg

Otherwise "difficulty" is relative. I rate the KSOS at a 7 in terms of difficulty. That was my goal and that's how it stays (10 being insta-button easy). The proof is in all the streams I've done. Even before the torque was fixed (which was a file mix up error) I still had no difficulty translating and/or maneuvering in and around and docking with my station. http://www.twitch.tv/fanbus

No shuttle-no shuttle, is going to handle perfect to zero. The only shuttle that'll handle that way is the one you part out yourself (using Bac9 or stock parts). But KSOS was never intended for that specifically.

Is it unstable? Sure, is it extremely unstable? Not at all. I suspect you've got a conflicting mod or something else is the cause. I invite you to watch the stream (I normally post here when it's about to go live) and witness how I handle it. If your experience isn't similar to what you see, odds are there is a problem.

The KSOS has always been designed to be easy, for newbs, like me. In fact if anything its lift values and torque values lean a bit toward the overpowered side of things specifically to make flying it be painless. :D

-Kerbostar

Click for larger image

http://i.imgur.com/vGSYhYb.jpg

Sweet fire truck!

-Kerbostar

Click for larger image

Great, you're almost begging for me to have to use these fire trucks! With as many vehicles as I'm going to want to have sitting around the KSC, I'll probably lag on landing and send my orbiters tumbling across the tarmac... ;)

Seriously, awesome work! You and Nazari and everyone else involved are making some top notch stuff!

-Kerbostar

Click for larger image

fire trucks hmm you do not trust us... *plane crashes nearby... again* ok i see why now but will it actually shoot water or use IR or what?

fire trucks hmm you do not trust us... *plane crashes nearby... again* ok i see why now but will it actually shoot water or use IR or what?

It would be awesome if the water nozzle was just an engine with 0 thrust and a water-like particle effect.

I just suggested something similar in the Real Fuels thread..... if dangerous propellants (or MORE dangerous propellants as the case may be) are detected then random accidents are triggered.... ranging from simple sound effects to Kerbals animated to run around on fire. Yes, obvious wishful thinking is obvious. But if we could pull that off then it's not too much of a stretch to have Kerbals wielding firehoses and being whipped around by the high pressure.... it would be like the Keystone Fire Department!

Are there any reliable FAR and/or DREC configs available for the Super 25 yet?

The FAR config I made should work fine, it's stall speed for landing isn't too high either. But there's no way around the aerodynamic failures short of maneuvering very carefully, and you have to find a good reentry profile on your own.

It takes a lot of practice and won't ever be as straightforward as the stock flight experience.

Are there any reliable FAR and/or DREC configs available for the Super 25 yet?

I've used Ayana's FAR configs and find them satisfactory except for the problem that center of mass is way too far forward of center of lift but there's no satisfactory solutions to that (when using FAR) except to move CoM backwards a few meters and downwards by (I think) a quarter of a meter.

NOW then. On the subject of DREC, what of the configs I provided you? I'm still waiting on feedback on those. I use them myself and consider them acceptable. If you don't find them so, I'd have appreciated knowing that and knowing why. No feedback, no improvement.

Has anyone had an issue with their Kerbals disappearing and returning to the Space Center when entering a vehicle after EVA? The issue I am having is that Jeb enters the Station Tug and disappears and reappears back on Kerbin in the Space Center Active Roster.

Has anyone had an issue with their Kerbals disappearing and returning to the Space Center when entering a vehicle after EVA? The issue I am having is that Jeb enters the Station Tug and disappears and reappears back on Kerbin in the Space Center Active Roster.

Nope. What mods are you using?

I've used Ayana's FAR configs and find them satisfactory except for the problem that center of mass is way too far forward of center of lift but there's no satisfactory solutions to that (when using FAR) except to move CoM backwards a few meters and downwards by (I think) a quarter of a meter.

NOW then. On the subject of DREC, what of the configs I provided you? I'm still waiting on feedback on those. I use them myself and consider them acceptable. If you don't find them so, I'd have appreciated knowing that and knowing why. No feedback, no improvement.

I don't recall seeing Ayana's FAR config could you link that please and there is a DRE config in the FX folder what is different from it and yours also can I have a copy?

I don't recall seeing Ayana's FAR config could you link that please and there is a DRE config in the FX folder what is different from it and yours also can I have a copy?

Ayana's is a few pages back; I'll look for it in a bit. Edit: That's what happens when you don't refresh page often enough. Or maybe I was composing that as she was pasting her link...

The current DREC config is ablative shield based. It also has a typo that leaves the left wing unshielded.

Mine is entirely reflective. It also has special configurations depending on if you're playing stock Kerbin or RSS sized Kerbin. The latter is very challenging especially combined with FAR. Even combined with 98% reflection I lost that shuttle several dozen times. I had to stick resource based shielding back in when using RSS. (not technically ablative since it's massless and represents the shield heating up. the resource regenerates slowly to represent cooling)

All in all, a FAR+RSS is dangerous and leaves no room for errror. s-curve mastery is a must.

Edited by Starwaster

Once i got home i started messing around with toggling the different surfaces on the shuttles and have made them much smoother, much closer to what i see on the streams. Anyway did some very careful placements of additional rcs thrusters and have nearly perfect zero g movement.

On i side note i installed aerospace research or w/e its called which modifies the way surfaces react in atmosphere and turned off a majority of the tailfin controls, and now its gliding like a dream. Thanks for clarifying though, absolutely loving this mod.

Here is a Deadly Reentry config for KSO25

It is a multi-purpose config and requires Module Manager 2.1.5 as the one file contains contingencies for Real Solar System and stock Kerbin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j4r99yb1bjp8wz/kso25_dre.cfg

needs to overwrite the original file; it's not a patch for the original. Put it in /GameData/KSO/FX/

Please provide feedback!

Or I will resort to typing in italics!

Using Comic Sans!

Edited by Starwaster

Here is a Deadly Reentry config for KSO25

It is a multi-purpose config and requires Module Manager 2.1.5 as the one file contains contingencies for Real Solar System and stock Kerbin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j4r99yb1bjp8wz/kso25_dre.cfg

Please provide feedback!

Or I will resort to typing in italics!

Using Comic Sans!

Gear, rudders, and left wing are still exploding on reentry.

Gear, rudders, and left wing are still exploding on reentry.

Oops I forgot this part; that needs to overwrite the original file; it's not a patch for the original. Put it in /GameData/KSO/FX/