[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

How does B9 do what? If he has DDS natively in his mod installation, then it'd be nice of him to PM me or Nazari on the step by step process of exporting or directing the MU files to read DDS instead of TGA. Again, I'll do some research once Phase II is out.

B9 doesn't use .dds and it's not supported by the parttool exporter.

I still don't get why you can't use 1 texture file for 3 IVA's.

Isn't it as easy as:

MODEL
{
model = modellocation/uniquemodelname
texture = texturename1,texturelocation/texturename1
texture = texturename2,texturelocation/texturename2
texture = texturename3,texturelocation/texturename3
}

Or does KSP do something wonky if you try that?

------------

I'm not sure what version of Unity it was, but I remember Felipe saying he started the game nearly 10 years ago, so the technologies back then aren't what they are now. Of course, KSP is updated to the latest version of Unity, and they could make use of all these new features, but these features would require a re-coding of the game (the entire game if they want to make the conversion to 64-bit), which unfortunately Felipe doesn't really want to do. It's a shame, since this game could be so much better.

The first version of Kerbal Space Program was compiled on 2011 January 17.

The 64bit problem doesn't lie with Squad, but with Unity.

Edited by Albert VDS

B9 doesn't use .dds and it's not supported by the parttool exporter.

I still don't get why you can't use 1 texture file for 3 IVA's.

Isn't it as easy as:

MODEL
{
model = modellocation/uniquemodelname
texture = texturename1,texturelocation/texturename1
texture = texturename2,texturelocation/texturename2
texture = texturename3,texturelocation/texturename3
}

Or does KSP do something wonky if you try that?

Actually, this is what I was saying in my earlier post. Except that I think the texture declarations are unnecessary if they're all residing in the same folder. Which unless I badly misunderstood Helldiver, that's what he and Nazari want.

They were running into problems with the IVA's trying to load the wrong models, but that's what the MODEL{} nodes are for.

Actually, this is what I was saying in my earlier post. Except that I think the texture declarations are unnecessary if they're all residing in the same folder. Which unless I badly misunderstood Helldiver, that's what he and Nazari want.

They were running into problems with the IVA's trying to load the wrong models, but that's what the MODEL{} nodes are for.

I had no idea internals could use MODEL{} nodes as there is no 'mesh' field from the old method in any of the squad internals. I just assumed the name field from the parts internal module was appended to "GameData\Squad\Spaces" and everything would be hard coded to look under there.

Update

-We got the IVA's working and they are sharing the same texture without repeating.

-Nazari tried the Model method described above and it didn't work. He used a different method (don't think he wants to share his very unorthodox solution...).

-Going to release with the SST's IVA, even though the needles don't work. Will look into them post release. That means that other things we promised to fix once Phase II was released will get delayed until the issues of Phase 2 get fixed...

-In future phases you may start seeing some really weird and wonky stuff. Like an entire IVA being a prop or like the KSO and the KSO Super 25 being one massive super prop that is shared by various vehicles. Basically a matrix of IVAs that are moved depending on which vehicle is using them.

Update

-We got the IVA's working and they are sharing the same texture without repeating.

-Nazari tried the Model method described above and it didn't work. He used a different method (don't think he wants to share his very unorthodox solution...).

-Going to release with the SST's IVA, even though the needles don't work. Will look into them post release. That means that other things we promised to fix once Phase II was released will get delayed until the issues of Phase 2 get fixed...

-In future phases you may start seeing some really weird and wonky stuff. Like an entire IVA being a prop or like the KSO and the KSO Super 25 being one massive super prop that is shared by various vehicles. Basically a matrix of IVAs that are moved depending on which vehicle is using them.

i gotta admit i love it when a modder talks (and banters) with us users. it makes me feel like he's just another user fiddling around with a part he wants in game and we're all tripping over things trying to make it work and it's al round good fun!

@Helldriver: i think we should be greatful that you released the IVA and not really care that it doesn't have working gauges since most of us use RastaProbMoniter for all our kerbal needs. and thanks alot for pointing out that i was talking out of my bum when i mentioned the "rescalefactor" command for the IVA of the Super 25. it made me laugh :D

@everyone else: i love forums they're soooooo informative :D and thanks for explaining alot of things to me ^.^ sorry for being a pain in the kerbal to all of you ^.^

We'll do what ever research we can. Once Phase II is out of the way, going to see about going the DDS route as has been suggested. I'd love to compress everything into DXT5, just need someone to speak up on how they did it (I don't mean the texture mod, I mean how to set it up so our MUs can find and read .dds). I converted everything over to DDS and they all showed up white (textureless) in KSP.

So if you mod authors out there know how to make a Mu read DDS instead of TGA, please speak up.

Update

I've PM'd with the author of the Active Texture Management plugin and he's very sure that Unity does not support DDS. According to the Unity wiki it does not support DDS. From reading the ATM plugin's page I mistakenly thought the author got around this, but he corrected me (the plugin's cache stores its converted textures in PNG). This page states they are all converted to DXT1 or DXT5 depending on the presence of an alpha channel on load. Glad to see you guys got the IVA's mostly working though. Would Nazari care to share how he did it, even if a bit unorthodox? It couldn't hurt to put it out there. Others may find this information useful.

I had no idea internals could use MODEL{} nodes as there is no 'mesh' field from the old method in any of the squad internals. I just assumed the name field from the parts internal module was appended to "GameData\Squad\Spaces" and everything would be hard coded to look under there.

It probably still is as a fallback.

Update

What wasn't working with it? I've been messing with the Mk1 pod IVA and I have it happily sharing the Mk1-2 pod's textures and they're all happily sitting in the same folder together, config files, model files and all. Granted it looks like crap because they weren't meant to share textures but works otherwise.

Still cant attach anything in the cargo hold that is surface attachable without first adding some thing that is not, Eg, I can not connect docking port to docking port. People say to assemble it and save as a sub-assembly and then attach but the whole problem comes right back after trying to attach the sub-assembly, it always wants to connect to the cargo bay, I know of the mod to use to make it work but I don't want to use it because i will lose function of other buttons just to use Alt-R. Is there a way to make only the sides of the cargo bay surface attachable and leave the bulkheads node only?

The new docking ports in the upcoming Phase 2 will have surface attachment turned off to aid this. You'll still run into issues if you grab something like a standard tank that has surface attachment on its side, and try to attach it to a new port. The best way to combat this is to either use a mod where you can toggle it easily, or deselect the cargo and "re-grab" it from its top edge, and lower it into the bay when looking at the side of the bay.

Still cant attach anything in the cargo hold that is surface attachable without first adding some thing that is not, Eg, I can not connect docking port to docking port. People say to assemble it and save as a sub-assembly and then attach but the whole problem comes right back after trying to attach the sub-assembly, it always wants to connect to the cargo bay, I know of the mod to use to make it work but I don't want to use it because i will lose function of other buttons just to use Alt-R. Is there a way to make only the sides of the cargo bay surface attachable and leave the bulkheads node only?

Not sure if you're referring to the same mod, but I use Editor Extensions (SpacePort link - forum link).

I haven't had any issues with losing the function of other buttons, but I believe you can remap the hotkeys if necessary. Hope that helps! :)

In other news regarding my previous feedback...

I musta done it wrong. I re-installed v1.13 and those irritating RPM blue camera arcs indeed went away, as per the changelog. No baby squids had to be sacrificed. And hoo boy it's nice to have that sexy, sexy IVA back in its full glory!

Also, re: Mechjeb and "chasing the nav marker" silliness. Well, I didn't manage to get rid of it entirely, however I did find a useful workaround. In the "Maneuver Planner" window, I adjusted the "Tolerance" default value of 0.1m/s to ~4-6m/s. Mind you, I wouldn't recommend this for *all* flights, as it can really throw off your precision. But when a butter-knife will do just as well as a scalpel, it works fantastic! Some baby-sitting might still be needed, but for typical low-orbit rendezvous and whatnot, it's just fine.

Last but not least, if I may be so bold to make a request/suggestion...

Would it be possible/feasible/not-a-huge-pain-in-the-you-know-what to add the control group options of "open/close" in addition to "toggle" for items like the hinged radome, cargo bay doors, and especially the landing gear? Sometimes I "fat finger" the number keys and end up opening/closing something when I *really* shouldn't.

Anyhow, thanks again for all this amazing work! Still can't wait for Phase II! :)

Does anyone who has DRE and FAR installed ever managed to re-enter the atmosphere and successfully land? Every time I try I come screaming in not slowing down, the ablative shielding BARELY ablates away and then while I'm only at 15,000m and still going 2000m/s my rear verticals control surfaces, ailerons, landing gear and sometimes wings all explode on me and I crash into the surface with no control every time :P any help?

And if it's important the altitude I'm reentering from is usually 170km and my reentry periapsis is ~20km

This is a fun little mod, albeit I was disappointed that it couldn't hold any of the Fustek parts without clipping. Which is a shame, as the two mods seem to go together in my opinion. Still, this is on par with the ALCOR pod (which fits *perfectly* inside the cargo bay, by the way) in terms of clean and well-done modding. Bravo!

This is a fun little mod, albeit I was disappointed that it couldn't hold any of the Fustek parts without clipping. Which is a shame, as the two mods seem to go together in my opinion. Still, this is on par with the ALCOR pod (which fits *perfectly* inside the cargo bay, by the way) in terms of clean and well-done modding. Bravo!

Just wait till the Shuttle 25 comes out. It will fit the parts then.

Does anyone who has DRE and FAR installed ever managed to re-enter the atmosphere and successfully land? Every time I try I come screaming in not slowing down, the ablative shielding BARELY ablates away and then while I'm only at 15,000m and still going 2000m/s my rear verticals control surfaces, ailerons, landing gear and sometimes wings all explode on me and I crash into the surface with no control every time :P any help?

And if it's important the altitude I'm reentering from is usually 170km and my reentry periapsis is ~20km

Sounds a little steep. Also, if you're using the ablative variety what's the reflectivity set at? I have mine configured for reflective only, no ablation. I come in shallower than you, I think. I don't burn up.

Update

Helldiver, you are the best EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The Twenty-Nineth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 25th Flight of the Tenacious! STS 129's objective is to deploy the KSO Eve Space Station Port Solar Truss and return to the KSC Runway!

The construction and deployment missions run STS 123 through STS 130.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 130 will deploy the Eve Station Starboard Solar Truss followed by the journey to Eve!

For some reason I use a mac mini and the game freezes when I have the parts in all the correct part files and the mod is installed! Can you help me with this?

Sorry for posting this twice but I know that if it ends up being left behind in the other pages without a response than it will never be looked at again...

For some reason I use a mac mini...

Sorry for posting this twice but I know that if it ends up being left behind in the other pages without a response than it will never be looked at again...

It was one page back. I'm not sure how to help you but if I had to guess from all the difficulties others have been having it's probably related to your system's RAM or you goofed on something. I recommend you read this page and provide the information your request should have so others here may better help correct your issue if it's related to this mod.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

Update

Just got the first version today in game. We've got a lot of bugs unfortunately. All of the bugs are related to RPM and the IVAs. Unfortunately a lot of the bugs are really tedious ones like getting the Kerbal cams right. Some bugs require rebaking of assets, while others require reconstruction in some places.

I was hoping for an earlier release, but after checking everything today it seems it will be a while. I don't want to spam the thread since I don't want it to become a development thread.

My apologies for the delays, if only you guys knew how frustrating this is. Fortunately the ISS Style large panels are working perfectly in game now (I had to reanimate them differently). The SST is still giving us issues.