Is it just me, or are the Mk 3 Space plane cockpit and fuselage underused?

Everytime I enter the space plane hanger I look at the Mk 3 Space plane cockpit and I sense of guilt wells up inside me which brings me to conclude that I NEVER use it. Everytime I try to use those parts I end up with an unbalanced ugly plane that has no purpose. Plus, I think the cockpit looks ugly from the interior, (so does the Mk2, there is a mod to change the Mk2-3 cockpits). I think this cockpit and fuselage need a little bit of work.

1. Cargo bays? The cockpit is based off the space shuttle after all

2. Rocket fuel versions of these could make them more useful for space planes and even rockets

3. Moved center of mass and connection points would make them fit onto 2.5m parts easier. Maybe even an adaptor changing from Mk 3 fuselage to 2.5m fuselage

4. Complete redesign of fuselage and cockpit. (This I think is the least advisable)

Does anyone else agree? Comment!:sticktongue:

Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/glenrustgames

Thanks - and sure! I'll need to set an account up somewhere for sharing files though - what do folks normally use?

I'll include a pilot's guide too - it's not the most aerodynamic thing in the world but it does get three kerbals to orbit with enough liquid fuel for reasonable cross range capacity after re-entry. Suggest using the RCS for on orbit maneuvers though. :)

The MK3 cockpit looks good if you use the MK2 adaptor. Here is my 3 person SSTO workhorse:

YAdilRp.png

I agree that the MK3 fuselage is ugly and I never use that. Maybe if that is a cargo bay or a crew storage container, it would make sense.

Another problem is that the MK2 fuselage doesn't match the MK2 cockpit. The MK2 fuselage looks good, but it needs a cockpit that can seamlessly match.

Cargo bay has been asked for so many times, I'm loosing hope. Maybe this time...

As for cockpits - all I really want is to have interiors for all of them. Plus the space shuttle one only holds 3 kerbonauts, when in fact it should be 7...

• 2 weeks later...
Cargo bay has been asked for so many times, I'm loosing hope. Maybe this time...

As for cockpits - all I really want is to have interiors for all of them. Plus the space shuttle one only holds 3 kerbonauts, when in fact it should be 7...

I like the idea of making it for seven cause it would actually give it a massive use for crew transport but then they would have to make it bigger.

I like the idea of making it for seven cause it would actually give it a massive use for crew transport but then they would have to make it bigger.

Why bigger? Compare its size on launch pad with the size of a Kerbonaut. It can be done. Well, maybe 5 crew. But still!

Why bigger? Compare its size on launch pad with the size of a Kerbonaut. It can be done. Well, maybe 5 crew. But still!

The only Mk2/Mk3 parts that have been rescaled to fit the new parts are:

The mk2 cockpit

The mk3 cockpit (partial)

the mk1-mk2 adapter

Those parts are due for a rescale because, when they were introduced, the current part scaling was 1m, 2m, 3m, etc. Now, since the parts have increased to 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, etc, the airplane parts will increase in size, too.

The only Mk2/Mk3 parts that have been rescaled to fit the new parts are:

The mk2 cockpit

The mk3 cockpit (partial)

the mk1-mk2 adapter

Those parts are due for a rescale because, when they were introduced, the current part scaling was 1m, 2m, 3m, etc. Now, since the parts have increased to 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, etc, the airplane parts will increase in size, too.

WHAAA?!?! There was a re-scaling? Sorry, I didn't noticed anything - I just updated to 0.23 straight from 0.21 (or 0.20?) cause i had to go and do stuff with my life and had no time to play for months :(

WHAAA?!?! There was a re-scaling? Sorry, I didn't noticed anything - I just updated to 0.23 straight from 0.21 (or 0.20?) cause i had to go and do stuff with my life and had no time to play for months :(

It happened way before even I (I got the game at 0.18.4) had the game: in version 0.16. that update brought in EVAs and 2.5m parts. All that was in the game then was Kerbin, Minmus, and the Mun; manned ships, no docking, and no maneuver nodes. Actually, as of 0.21, the plane parts are the oldest original items in the game, so it's about time they were updated.

Ah, I thought there was another re-scaling. But I wasn't aware that rocket parts and plane parts had different diameters. I mean - they look similar, but I never checked it :/ Are You sure? And also how do You know SQUAD will re-scale those parts?

Ah, I thought there was another re-scaling. But I wasn't aware that rocket parts and plane parts had different diameters. I mean - they look similar, but I never checked it :/ Are You sure? And also how do You know SQUAD will re-scale those parts?

the parts would need to be rescaled to make them completely compatible. If you want an idea as to where I got the info from, check out the KSP wiki.

The Mk3 cockpit and fuselages are in for a complete re-do, IIRC, at some point in the future. Not sure when, exactly, though.

Never. We only receive new parts, not usability of old ones. Just look which version certain parts where introduced and how long they're sitting either missing functionalities, being purely asthetical or nor working well with other parts.

The Mk3 cockpit and fuselages are in for a complete re-do, IIRC, at some point in the future. Not sure when, exactly, though.

I love the space plane parts and I want them to be the best they can be.

I for one think we should keep beating the drum to have them re-done sooner rather than later (politely of coarse).

redone for .25 would be amazing (but unlikely I know)

aren't aerodynamics due for a re-do as-well?

would love to know squads thoughts/intentions on this...

Never. We only receive new parts, not usability of old ones. Just look which version certain parts where introduced and how long they're sitting either missing functionalities, being purely asthetical or nor working well with other parts.

They redid the Art for the rocket parts in 0.18, they rescaled (almost) everything in 0.16. Jet engines required air intakes in 0.18. Landing legs and wheels got suspension in 0.22, science got tweaked, they added tweakables, etc. How is that NOT updating parts to make them look and perform better?

They redid the Art for the rocket parts in 0.18, they rescaled (almost) everything in 0.16. Jet engines required air intakes in 0.18. Landing legs and wheels got suspension in 0.22, science got tweaked, they added tweakables, etc. How is that NOT updating parts to make them look and perform better?

Okay, now let's look at the following:

-The Mk2 Cockipit was introduced in 0.15 with a partial IVA added in 0.17. We have yet to see a complete IVA for this.

-The Oscar B tank was introduced in 0.18. It still has no fuel bar on the staging column.

-The Mk3 Fuselage was introduced in 0.17.1. It has to yet receive a purely structural version or a Rocket tank version.

-The Mk3 to Mk2 Adapter was introduced in 0.15.x. Same lack of features from the Mk3 fuselage apply here.

-The Radial Engine Body was introduced in 0.15 and it's purely asthetic.

Apart from other features missing, like realtime reading for all science parts, etc.

Why not make these adjustments to the mk2 and mk3 parts for .24? Small changes like this are common in updates.

I agree so much with so many of these things. The mk2 and mk3 cockpits need a real IVA view. As does the science lab.

I've never found a workable design for the mk3 parts. I often forget the mk3 fusage exists.

Okay, now let's look at the following:

-The Mk2 Cockipit was introduced in 0.15 with a partial IVA added in 0.17. We have yet to see a complete IVA for this.

the reason it doesn't have an IvA is because they 're going to change that part in the future. No need to build upon a temporary solution.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.