Playing Since .18 Finally Visited Gilly

Kilmeister

Done so many things in this game. But somehow always manged to neglect Gilly. Well I finally sent a probe there in .23 save with a number of realism mods. Finally I have visited every body in the base game. Below is my favorite image of the event. Nice Gilly sunrise.

denqHR6.png

Deadly Reentry: Adds a new element to your designs where you actually have to plan ahead if you want to bring something home, and I had to stop using my patented "Plow-into-Kerbin" reentry technique. This ones a lot of fun and adds an additional challenge.

FAR: More realistic aerodynamics.

ECLSS: Life support. However, I tuned the parts a little since the oxygen tanks were storing a paltry amount of o2 for their size and you had to spam a bunch of them just to get to the mun. Not as bad as TAC though where one oxygen tank can take you to about Proxima Centauri.

Joint Reinforcment: Less wobbly rockets. Don't need to spam struts. Makes designing more fun. This may become obsolete in .24 though since they said the new Unity engine can handle joints in a more realistic way now.

And not really using it like it was intended:

Mission Controller I just started using it, but not as intended. I massively tweaked the costing so that my rockets actually cost millions. I'm just using it to see a running cost. I haven't picked a budget demand to try and meet yet. But it does make me think a little about test flights. I try to limit the hardware I know I'm just going to splash into the ocean.

I started the save with Remotetech, but it wasn't playing nice with MechJeb so I uninstalled it.

I do have terrain scatter turned on, but I was probably a little too high in that shot to see anything. I had to go lower to get the "Near Gilly" science done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.