Ensured Mutual Destruction: totally destroying space debris

I try to play realistically and be a Good Space Citizen, avoiding space debris. I use a standard HLV stack to loft my stuff into an 80K LKO, using seperatrons to put the final stage (two orange tanks and a mainsail) into a reentry orbit.

I recently did a launch to a 130k orbit, and didn't think about the need for either more seperatrons or control so that I could use residual fuel to deorbit. So now I have junk in a 79x130 orbit.

Is there a foolproof way to destroy that debris? I definitely don't want to just crash something into it and leave more, smaller junk :)

Thanks!

Edited by Kosmic Debris

This would be a lot of work, but what you can do is make a craft which can grab the debris, for example using the landing legs to lock it into place. You can then use that craft to deorbit the debris.

Yeah, I've seen some of those designs. I thought I could also create something that would very gently soft dock and give it a push...it wouldn't take much to push it below 69k, probably just 10 m/s or so. I expect it would tumble, but it might get me there.

Build a ship with a bunch of landing legs on the top. Use those as a cradle to grab one side of the lifter, accelerate slowly retrograde. If you accelerate too quickly you could break something, too slowly and it will float away. Ive used it a few times it works in a pinch.

Yeah, I've seen some of those designs. I thought I could also create something that would very gently soft dock and give it a push...it wouldn't take much to push it below 69k, probably just 10 m/s or so. I expect it would tumble, but it might get me there.

Dont debries ignore atmo down to 35, then are just removed?

Build a ship with a bunch of landing legs on the top. Use those as a cradle to grab one side of the lifter, accelerate slowly retrograde. If you accelerate too quickly you could break something, too slowly and it will float away. Ive used it a few times it works in a pinch.

Just don't use timewarp or the part will 'ghost' right through your ship!

If the debris is an object indicated in the map view, you could just go to the tracking station, select it and hit "Terminate Flight". Unless I'm mistaken.

Get out and push is one option. You might also try impacting it with an object at a rate of speed higher than its rated impact tolerance, though that would more likely than not create a larger debris field.

I put a 1.25 to 2.5 adapter upside down on the top of one of my vehicles. I then "docked" to the object (space station peace in my case) with it pointing pro-grade and my "De-orbiter" facing retro, and just burned retrograde, slowly at first until I was comfortable it wasn't going to fly off in any direction.

Just make sure your space debris is Kerbal free!

One thing I have done is build a claw tug, in which I build 4-6 "claws" coming out of the front like a basket to grab the debris, then I just maneuver the rocket up into orbit and use it to push the debris out of orbit. Another option (sometimes the easiest) is to revert back to VAB/SPH when you realize you're leaving debris in space.

Think of it like pushing the self-destruct button.

actually, that's something that's missing from ksp is a part destructable module. Nasa detonates any rockets that fly out of control. ksp just have to watch them fly off in all directions until they use up their fuel and crash down.

Why not both! Truss out, grabbers on the ends...... This gave me an idea.

I once built something like this and would leave the landing leg grabbers out the next time. They tend to snap off, and it's just better to remember to keep some slight forward thrust on while rotating with debris in the bucket.

OrXbQf2.png

Edit: The challenging part is to get rotating debris into the bucket. You could always cheat and use time warp to stop the rotation. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.