Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

Do you need any log or anything?

Well that is certainly a weird bug. Have you confirmed it only occurs with simulations, and not also with standard launches? If it does occur with standard launches, try removing KCT and seeing if it still occurs. A log would definitely help, since without it I don't have any idea where to start. I have never seen that one, but it sounds awesome, but I can imagine it is frustrating.

Well that is certainly a weird bug. Have you confirmed it only occurs with simulations, and not also with standard launches? If it does occur with standard launches, try removing KCT and seeing if it still occurs. A log would definitely help, since without it I don't have any idea where to start. I have never seen that one, but it sounds awesome, but I can imagine it is frustrating.

I can't provide any logs as of right now, i am away from home, for atleast two days, and i have my last exam comin up, so no Ksp fo me :(

I double checked. Only happens in simulation mode, however i only tested those start in orbit simulations, perhaps that is causing some nono with KSP physics... Then again, i have well over 100 mods installed soo... could be that any of it interacts with KCT. I can assure it is only happening on simulation, if i use the regular build there is no massive kraken. One of my main suspicions is KerbQuake, moving Kerbals around gives off a shaky camera, perhaps there is some sort of issue.

When you get around to checking, verify if it is also happening with normal launch simulations (launchpad or runway). The code I use to move the ships is based on the hyperedit code, so you could try using hyperedit to go into orbit and see if it still happens. Though my code kicks in before physics are loaded I think, so that may contribute.

I've noticed a very odd, and inconsistent thing. If launching a ship from the space port as usual, everything works normal every time. But sometimes, if doing so from a flight or tracking station, SPH items do a hard bounce sometimes as if spawning slightly inside the runway. Only happened maybe 3-5 times total but maybe it could give a hint with the other items that others are having. :)

I have seen this reported before, but have never seen it myself. I don't honestly know what the cause could be, but without an output_log.txt file from the KSP_Data folder from a play session where the problem occurred (preferably with nothing else being done that session, to make it easier to sift through) there's little chance I'll figure it out. Does this happen even after restarting KSP?

It does not. I don't have a log file unfortunately, as it only happens intermittently, (but I'll grab one if it happens again) but it works as soon as you exit the simulation. It even works most of the time within the simulation. It's only occasionally it doesn't work. It never does it in an actual launch environment.

I've noticed a very odd, and inconsistent thing. If launching a ship from the space port as usual, everything works normal every time. But sometimes, if doing so from a flight or tracking station, SPH items do a hard bounce sometimes as if spawning slightly inside the runway. Only happened maybe 3-5 times total but maybe it could give a hint with the other items that others are having. :)

This also happens in VAB, it's fine, and then the physics kick in and everything is about 500m up and you're forced to hit space quickly to get launches going. Again no logs, but I can at least reproduce this one, so I'll try and grab one next time it happens.

Edited by severedsolo

I've been playing with KCT on most of my saves for a few days. It works very well, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Here's my two cents: Right now, if I want to build 2 rockets for instance, I just switch one to the SPH queue and launch it from the runway. I think that there should be only one queue, instead of VAB/SPH, and then balance the build times and upgrade points to have multiple ships building at the same time in that queue.

I have seen this reported before, but have never seen it myself. I don't honestly know what the cause could be, but without an output_log.txt file from the KSP_Data folder from a play session where the problem occurred (preferably with nothing else being done that session, to make it easier to sift through) there's little chance I'll figure it out. Does this happen even after restarting KSP?

Happened to me, here's the output log, sorry about the size (had a 5MB plus output log recently with almost no actions performed, 2 launches and no designing)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfiwtil3kifs1u9/output_log3.txt

Here's my two cents: Right now, if I want to build 2 rockets for instance, I just switch one to the SPH queue and launch it from the runway. I think that there should be only one queue, instead of VAB/SPH, and then balance the build times and upgrade points to have multiple ships building at the same time in that queue.

I also have considered doing something like this, as I'm not a big fan of people building rockets in the VAB or planes in the SPH. I had also considered dropping the rate of whichever building isn't used (choose VAB or SPH at game start, set that one to 1BP/s and the other to 0.5BP/s). Other people have expressed that they like being able to build vessels wherever they want, and once you are sufficiently upgraded using the SPH for rockets isn't as practical. I haven't decided if I'm going to change anything yet or not. If people really want to go out of their way to build things in the "wrong" building, I don't know if I should stop them.

The unified queue is a good solution though, but from a gameplay aspect I like upgrading the two buildings separately. If anyone else has an opinion on this, let me know. It's easy enough, imo, to just limit yourself from building in the wrong building.

Happened to me, here's the output log, sorry about the size (had a 5MB plus output log recently with almost no actions performed, 2 launches and no designing)

Don't worry about the size. 7-8 megs is tiny compared to some of the ones I've seen. I'll take a look and see if I find anything that would explain the camera lockups, but I'm on vacation for a few days so it might be a little while. Thank you so much for the log though, it really helps :)

An option could be to have both at 0 initially and a few upgrade points available so one could start up their initial assembly line in whatever building fits their play style. This way they could focus on one building, split them evenly, or anything in between.

An option could be to have both at 0 initially and a few upgrade points available so one could start up their initial assembly line in whatever building fits their play style. This way they could focus on one building, split them evenly, or anything in between.

I may go this route. Though perhaps starting at 0.1BP/s or some other small number, just in case you forget to put points into the other building.

Which flight did the issue happen with? I see three times you went to a vessel, twice from the space center (a vessel called Kerra 3) and once with a simulation. The second flight of Kerra 3 had an EVA which reported errors constantly, but not related to KCT. I am guessing it was the simulation that had issues though. Which sucks because I don't see anything in the log that could begin to explain the issue. Nothing threw an error during the simulation. MechJeb threw some errors in the editor beforehand, but I don't know if they're related at all.

Which flight did the issue happen with? I see three times you went to a vessel, twice from the space center (a vessel called Kerra 3) and once with a simulation. The second flight of Kerra 3 had an EVA which reported errors constantly, but not related to KCT. I am guessing it was the simulation that had issues though. Which sucks because I don't see anything in the log that could begin to explain the issue. Nothing threw an error during the simulation. MechJeb threw some errors in the editor beforehand, but I don't know if they're related at all.

It has only ever happened to me in simulations, and even there, rarely. I'm about to update MechJeb for unrelated reasons, will provide another log if it happens again.

I`m trying this mod, but have a simple question: what about modular engineering, which makes crafts share a significant fraction of their structure but not exactly same?

Playing career mod, I recently unified almost every rocket into same design and only replace payloads for specialized purpose but have much structure in common between them. It feels me a good time-saving and economic way to build crafts. However that was before I met your amazing mod. I wonder how your mod treat my modular engineered crafts. If your mod doesn`t treat my ship as partially common, do I have to build the components separately and scrap those components to be stored in inventory to reduce building time?

Edited by FennexFox

I`m trying this mod, but have a simple question: what about modular engineering, which makes crafts share a significant fraction of their structure but not exactly same?

This mod takes into account individual parts, not their connections, so if you use the same parts between your launchers then you will see improvements in speed with subsequent launches. Any parts that are recovered from one rocket can be used in another. Basically, the more parts shared between rockets, the better. If all of your launchers use the same core parts then they will quickly become fast to build, especially if you can recover parts (either with parachutes or directly). You can also prebuild launchers and scrap them, to ensure you have parts in the inventory.

There are two basic ways of reducing build times (other than upgrading build rates): using the same parts in many launches, and using recovered parts. The part inventory is the second part. The first part is unseen directly, but is tracked in the background. If you use a part in a build, a number is increased. The part cost is divided by this number before it is factored into the total cost (which is then square rooted). So using the same parts in multiple builds (aka, standardized launchers with similar core parts) will reduce build times (in fact, the 4th time you build a ship it will take half the time of the first one, assuming a new save).

The zip for that version is named MechJeb2-2.1.1.0-198

I just updated to 2.2.1 in the past hour to 90 minutes

That was a very outdated version you were using, so could be a significant cause of problems. The current release version 2.2.1 does have some issues, but works far better. If you still encounter a problem you might want to give dev built 2.2.1.262-262 a shot.

Finally happened to me again, here is the output_log.txt. As before it stays stuck after game restart, so this is just game load, ship load, simulate, and then close.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPO9eXfO6xGUnNhWnplY2x3c1k/edit?usp=sharing

The only thing that I really see going on in the log has to do with Open Resource System, but that wasn't present in Ogamaga's log. I'm going to try checking what mods are common between you two, to see if that could be related. Otherwise, the log doesn't contain any errors (other than some issues with load on demand and final frontier referencing FlightGlobals before the game has loaded. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it, but I'll try. Keep a backup of the save as it is, since if it's reproducible there then I can have you try any potential fixes I come up with. Thank you :)

ORS issue:

UnityException: Texture 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/ORS/png/Kerbin_Ore_1440x720' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixel (int,int)

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.getPixelAbundanceValue (Int32 pix_x, Int32 pix_y, OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceInfo resource_info) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.loadPlanetaryResourceData (Int32 body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.getResourceAvailability (Int32 body, System.String resourcename, Double lat, Double lng) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.VanAllen.getRadiationDose (.Vessel vessel, Double rad_hardness) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.FNModuleRadiation.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

For anyone having the camera lockups during simulations, please check to see if you are running one or more of these mods and let me know which ones (you can check by opening the KSP_DATA/output_log.txt in notepad/wordpad and searching for the phrase "Mod DLLs found", even if you didn't experience the problem last play session). This list is the common mods between the two logs I've seen, minus the mods common with me (as I have yet to see the problem myself). SpacedInvader and Ogamaga don't need to let me know since I compiled the list from their logs.

Modulefixer
CustomBiomes
AGExt
EditorExtensions
km_Asteroid
km_Lib
MechJeb2
Romfarer
TacFuelBalancer

The full list of common mods without mine removed is here (* signifies that I use it too):

Modulefixer v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager v2.1.5.0 *
TextureCompressor v1.0.0.0 / ActiveTextureManagement*
CustomBiomes v1.0.0.0
AGExt v1.0.0.0
EditorExtensions v0.6.4965.35084
ExsurgentEngineering v1.0.5101.32461 *
FerramAerospaceResearch v1.0.0.0 *
Firespitter v6.0.5105.20959 *
KAS v1.0.5204.25652 *
HyperEdit v1.2.4.1 *
Kethane v1.0.5274.33448 *
KineTechAnimation v1.0.0.0 *
km_Asteroid v0.0.0.0
km_Lib v1.0.5266.35823
InfernalRobotics v0.16.0.0 *
KSPAPIExtensions v1.4.4.0 *
MechJeb2 v2.1.1.0
OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0 v1.1.0.0 *
ProceduralParts v0.9.13.4
RemoteTech2 v1.0.0.0 *
Romfarer v1.0.0.0
SCANsat v1.0.6.0 *
StationScience v1.0.0.0 *
TacFuelBalancer v2.2.0.0
TacLifeSupport v0.8.0.0 *
TreeLoader v1.1.3.0 *
KerbalAlarmClock v2.7.0.0 *
InterstellarToolbar v1.0.0.0 *
WarpPlugin v1.0.0.0 *

Edited by magico13

I just checked my output_log.txt as I use ORS as well and MKS. I was unable to find such an error.

Actually this looks more like a problem relating to MKS rather than ORS. I think the problem is the the MKS install with a corrupt file of Kerbin_Ore_1440x720.png.

Only one of the logs had that error, but I thought I would mention it in case it was something SpacedInvader was able to fix, if he wanted to. It was spammed constantly during flight, so I wasn't positive if it might contribute to his issues.

Ahh, gotcha. :) Might need to just update to the latest version of that mod for that instance. I keep trying to see what I might have as well to prevent you from taking time on those items :)

For the list of mods, I'm not having a camera issue but am using:

AGExt

MechJeb2

Romfarer

TacFuelBalancer

Figured any information you can get can help lead to figuring it out. :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

I'm having an issue that parts seem to be extremely fragile during simulation - even Jeb touching part of the rocket from EVA makes it violently explode...

Guto8797 was reporting the same bug a few pages back. If you can get me a log I can see if anything is being reported there that might explain the problem. Hopefully that bug actually has an error associated with it in the log...

The only thing that I really see going on in the log has to do with Open Resource System, but that wasn't present in Ogamaga's log. I'm going to try checking what mods are common between you two, to see if that could be related. Otherwise, the log doesn't contain any errors (other than some issues with load on demand and final frontier referencing FlightGlobals before the game has loaded. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it, but I'll try. Keep a backup of the save as it is, since if it's reproducible there then I can have you try any potential fixes I come up with. Thank you :)

ORS issue:

UnityException: Texture 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/ORS/png/Kerbin_Ore_1440x720' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixel (int,int)

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.getPixelAbundanceValue (Int32 pix_x, Int32 pix_y, OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceInfo resource_info) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.loadPlanetaryResourceData (Int32 body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.getResourceAvailability (Int32 body, System.String resourcename, Double lat, Double lng) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.VanAllen.getRadiationDose (.Vessel vessel, Double rad_hardness) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.FNModuleRadiation.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

For anyone having the camera lockups during simulations, please check to see if you are running one or more of these mods and let me know which ones (you can check by opening the KSP_DATA/output_log.txt in notepad/wordpad and searching for the phrase "Mod DLLs found", even if you didn't experience the problem last play session). This list is the common mods between the two logs I've seen, minus the mods common with me (as I have yet to see the problem myself). SpacedInvader and Ogamaga don't need to let me know since I compiled the list from their logs.

Modulefixer
CustomBiomes
AGExt
EditorExtensions
km_Asteroid
km_Lib
MechJeb2
Romfarer
TacFuelBalancer

The full list of common mods without mine removed is here (* signifies that I use it too):

Modulefixer v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager v2.1.5.0 *
TextureCompressor v1.0.0.0 / ActiveTextureManagement*
CustomBiomes v1.0.0.0
AGExt v1.0.0.0
EditorExtensions v0.6.4965.35084
ExsurgentEngineering v1.0.5101.32461 *
FerramAerospaceResearch v1.0.0.0 *
Firespitter v6.0.5105.20959 *
KAS v1.0.5204.25652 *
HyperEdit v1.2.4.1 *
Kethane v1.0.5274.33448 *
KineTechAnimation v1.0.0.0 *
km_Asteroid v0.0.0.0
km_Lib v1.0.5266.35823
InfernalRobotics v0.16.0.0 *
KSPAPIExtensions v1.4.4.0 *
MechJeb2 v2.1.1.0
OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0 v1.1.0.0 *
ProceduralParts v0.9.13.4
RemoteTech2 v1.0.0.0 *
Romfarer v1.0.0.0
SCANsat v1.0.6.0 *
StationScience v1.0.0.0 *
TacFuelBalancer v2.2.0.0
TacLifeSupport v0.8.0.0 *
TreeLoader v1.1.3.0 *
KerbalAlarmClock v2.7.0.0 *
InterstellarToolbar v1.0.0.0 *
WarpPlugin v1.0.0.0 *

For the record, I'm not running Modulefixer and also removing MKS did not fix the issue.

Removing the short list above, however, does seem to fix the issue... currently putting them back piece by piece to see if it remains broken...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.