Things you've caught yourself doing after a KSP binge

kyle5432

Might be a special case, but I do tend to notice more rocket bells around. Of course I live 2 miles from Rocketdyne.

Not exactly the same thing, but when I'm watching KSP videos on the YouTubes, I instinctively try to rotate my view with the mouse.

Exact same. I've been advised to have my cursor off the video but it doesn't help.

Also I save delta-V while driving my car by shifting into neutral on downhill slopes so I can conserve momentum for the next uphill.
In a fuel injected car, this maneuver actually consumes delta-V.

I accelerate at the bottom of the hill and allow the car to coast up it, thereby harnessing the Oberth effect. :)

In a fuel injected car, this maneuver actually consumes delta-V.

I accelerate at the bottom of the hill and allow the car to coast up it, thereby harnessing the Oberth effect. :)

Yeah, when you're coasting downhill with the engine in gear, the momentum turns the engine, and the injectors shutoff. If you put it in neutral, the engine needs to burn gas to keep it idling. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference one way or the other though.

On my way back home from the groceries store I was hungry and the bag was heavy  so decided to chew some of the goodies I bought. And I noticed that I began to plan the % of bag mass I should now eat using the orbital-mechanics-like reasoning: as I was picking the "right" mass ratio, I was habitually estimating the logarithm of this ratio by Taylor series around x=1.

Yeah, when you're coasting downhill with the engine in gear, the momentum turns the engine, and the injectors shutoff. If you put it in neutral, the engine needs to burn gas to keep it idling. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference one way or the other though.
The difference is negligible unless you're talking about coming all the way down a high mountain pass, in which case keeping it in gear would save a little, but still a minute amount.

And once, I had a brief thought about the wasted delta v of having my golf clubs in my trunk from the past weekend and not taking them out.

I wonder...my RPM's are lower while coasting so I'd think it is using less gas. Back when I had a fuel injected diesel it made a big difference, maybe not so much in a gasoline engine? Anyway I try to avoid driving after a KSP binge as I keep wanting to push my car towards terminal velocity...except I seem to be on an almost continuous KSP binge now that I've started unlocking the "grown-up", aka the big-boy's (and girl's), parts in my career mode.

Star Trek can be just as bad.

WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING?

I always hate the explosion in space sound effects in Star Trek, now I'll have to add this too, sigh, still love it though and having tried to write some SciFi myself I know how hard it is to stick towards realism so I try to look the other way. At least in Red Dwarf it's always for a laugh...Rimmer:"If going 1/2 light speed what is the stopping time?" Kryton: "Four years." R:"And the thinking time?" K:"A fortnight." Now please tell me why you would think slower at 1/2c?

I always hate the explosion in space sound effects in Star Trek, now I'll have to add this too, sigh, still love it though and having tried to write some SciFi myself I know how hard it is to stick towards realism so I try to look the other way. At least in Red Dwarf it's always for a laugh...Rimmer:"If going 1/2 light speed what is the stopping time?" Kryton: "Four years." R:"And the thinking time?" K:"A fortnight." Now please tell me why you would think slower at 1/2c?

Time dilation so it would only seem like 2 weeks or however long a fortnight is to them but it actually takes place over a 1 year,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.