Rovers.

it'd be nice to see better ways to carry these smaller rovers, they folded on Apollo but we don't have that option.

That's a great point that I hadn't considered. Cargo bays would be great, too. We already have moving parts that have the same kind of mechanism for something like this (the communotron, the landing legs, the solar panels...). Maybe the fuselages could be recycled and converted into cargo bays?

That's a great point that I hadn't considered. Cargo bays would be great, too. We already have moving parts that have the same kind of mechanism for something like this (the communotron, the landing legs, the solar panels...). Maybe the fuselages could be recycled and converted into cargo bays?

Unfortunately unfolding parts are on the do not suggest list, sort of. (By which I mean that robotics/mechanics, such a broad term as to be meaningless, is usually interpreted in a way that includes any time someone asks for the ability for parts that hinge in any way.)

Unfortunately unfolding parts are on the do not suggest list, sort of. (By which I mean that robotics/mechanics, such a broad term as to be meaningless, is usually interpreted in a way that includes any time someone asks for the ability for parts that hinge in any way.)

Ah... Well, let's move on once again! It's amazing how easy it is to stray into that zone, eh?

A better name would be "The Don't Keep Suggesting" list, but also in regards to rovers, more ways to keep the flipping things on the ground would be good.

For example, softer (or tunable) suspension so the wheels follow the ground properly instead of bouncing you up into space.

What I'd like to see is some form of science points that can't be gotten easier by legged landers than by rovers. At the moment everything I could think of doing with a rover is cheaper and easier to do with multiple small landers that just stay where you put them. There should be some sort of science part that accumulates science points slowly as you drive the rover - like "this Mun crater has 80 'driving science' points available, at a rate of 4 per kilometer. You've driven 10 km in this crater, so you've mined 40 of those points so far on this vessel."

(That's the general idea - of course the exact rate of points and number of points would need to be adjusted for proper game balance, but a system along those lines would be great).

Not sure what part of "for that video" you didn't understand ;p But I guess it's an "ingame model" in the sense of "it's a model and the game also has models in it"...

Well, this is the reason why I usually stay away from any development (mod or actual game) related topics... My knowledge on that subject is sub-zero

A better name would be "The Don't Keep Suggesting" list, but also in regards to rovers, more ways to keep the flipping things on the ground would be good.

For example, softer (or tunable) suspension so the wheels follow the ground properly instead of bouncing you up into space.

I like the idea of being able to tweak suspension. maybe there should be suspension part itself even, one that's kind of... Mushy? I don't know how to word this at all, but you get the gist, right?

What I'd like to see is some form of science points that can't be gotten easier by legged landers than by rovers. At the moment everything I could think of doing with a rover is cheaper and easier to do with multiple small landers that just stay where you put them. There should be some sort of science part that accumulates science points slowly as you drive the rover - like "this Mun crater has 80 'driving science' points available, at a rate of 4 per kilometer. You've driven 10 km in this crater, so you've mined 40 of those points so far on this vessel."

Wording was a little confusing at the start, but I understand. I'd say this is an idea that could be easily abused - a player could just drive it in a circle endlessly and get infinite science. I do think that 1 science per 1Km of unique land on the Mun would be good though, with an increasing number of science/Km on each system, for example: 1Sci/uKm on Kerbin/Minmus/Mun, 2Sci/uKm on Duna/Eve/Ike/Gilly, 3Sci/uKm on Dres, 4Sci/uKm on Moho, 5Sci/uKm on Eeloo/Jool system (this could be tweaked for balance of course, but these are just examples). uKm = Unique Kilometer & Sci = science. The information should them be transmitted back at a rate of 100%, as with crew reports and EVA reports since it's basically the same. Maybe call it a rover report. Would this even work though? Since experiments are linked to biomes, I don't think this would be possible. It would be great if it was.

I'd say this is an idea that could be easily abused - a player could just drive it in a circle endlessly and get infinite science.

Sadely, there is no ultimate anti-morons weapon :P

Is there really needed to always design something thinking of them ? I don't think so. Let them making circles forever around the space center while true kerbals explore the universe (ooohhh !! That's what happens thousands of years ago on Nazca plateau ! :rolleyes:)

Let them making circles forever around the space center while true kerbals explore the universe

While I see your point, I think that if a solution can be made to stop that happening that wouldn't be too much more of an effort, then it should be done.

I love rovers, and I totally think rovers need some love.... err... wait um that could have come out better. Anyways I love the idea of an RAA and possibly a proving ground, like the one NASA uses near the Prius Battery plant, so that we can see how it will handle on various terrain features even if it is only still in Kerbal gravity. Fold-able wheels, retractable parts, and ways to store them on rockets, space planes, and bases would be great. Tweekable suspension is another great idea as well. A winch might also be a nice part to make, one kerbal gets out and runs out with cable and stakes it into the ground while the other turns it on; depending on where you put the winch and the direction of pull it should be able to right the rover. Also some basic rover chassis might be nice too.

Also some basic rover chassis might be nice too.

I agree with your whole post, but this bit in particular. We only really have one proper rover base so far, and we could do with some more. Even 2 more would suit me fine. But enough of that, it's in the "what not to suggest" list (new parts).

I love the idea of an RAA and possibly a proving ground, like the one NASA uses near the Prius Battery plant, so that we can see how it will handle on various terrain features even if it is only still in Kerbal gravity.

There's a point -gravity. I suppose this is something that'll just have to do, NASA deal with it. It doesn't bother me, all you really need to know is whether or not it can handle terrain and what kind of speed it can get up to. Stability will be harder to judge, but it's easy-ish to correct for.

The parts thing seem to come up a lot, it's generally gone down that vague/general 'give us more parts' stuff gets frowned down and locked up, whereas if people put forth specific and thought out part requests that seems fine (YMMV).

I've been trying to make some rover frames for a while but they never turn out right, cannot ever get the tubular structure joining up in a satisfactory way, or suitable level

Rovers and spaceplanes both need expansion. Though I doubt the devs are unaware of this. They have a lot on their plate at the moment.

I'd say that spaceplanes are in a pretty solid state, they're probably the most complete set of parts so far. I'm also aware that they have a lot on their plate, and I don't expect any of this to come through any time soon. I'd prefer them to finish this NASA asteroid project and career mode, as they are doing, before starting this. What kind of concerns me is that they've started work on multiplayer. Props to them, but I think it's a little early. I'd prefer development time to be spent on completing other things such as the lack of parts in some areas (which I'll not mention because of "Do not suggest") and completing the Space Centre. I'm happy with what they're working on at the moment though, by the sound of things there'll be an asteroid belt by 0.25. I honestly can't wait.

Okay, enough with what I said about what not to suggest, this is a discussion....

I'm ok at making vehicles as a whole with blender, maybe by taking more snapshots of the trailer I could get basic front-side views and further learn how a mod is made...

For now, i'd say my biggest problem with rovers is that I build them in the space plane hangar, then I have to isolate the base part and rearange the rover around it, make the rover a sub-assembly then figure out a way to properly attach the rover in the closest (never close) way i'd like it...

This lengthy process just gets extremely annoying, just to launch 1, just 1 small thing which I don't end up using too much anyways...

While I see your point, I think that if a solution can be made to stop that happening that wouldn't be too much more of an effort, then it should be done.

It's trivial: Remember the latitude/longitude location where the rover first contacted the ground. Measure distance travelled from that. Any curving that was done along the way is wasteful as it only measures the straight-line distance from the current location to the landing point. A player would then want to curve only as much as is needed to skirt around bad terrain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.