The Extreme Hippy Challenge

The challenge is that you must launch a craft into orbit (however you wish, I.E. Mainsails and SRB's) but once in a stable orbit around kerbin, you must have a ion powered craft that has at least one kerbal aboard. The kerbal does not need a capsule, so you could use the external command seat for top efficiency. And with that you must go to minmus and reach a stable orbit, and land all with the power of ion engines. Return to kerbin is not necessary. Have at it :)

Easy: Minmus landing

Hard: Mun landing

I think ion engines need to be defined. NFP has some pretty powerful engines in it which could easily do that. Am I allowed to use MPDTs or PITs or do I have to use stock ion thrusters?

Even the DS4G ion, which eats power like a son of a kerbal, gives 3 thrust vs the stock 0.5. The HI-SNAP engine gives 3.1 just without 6 digit delta Vs and can be clustered up to 4 and still run on a single 1.25m reactor.

Add in NFP and use the ionic engines there, and the challenge becomes trivial.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.