Kerbal Automotive Company

Shna_na

Major disclaimer! I did not originally build this! A brilliant forum member who was taking requests some time ago on real-world vehicles made this. EDIT: his username is MeticulousMitch, and you can find his stuff here! I really hope he pops up and posts more examples of his amazing vehicles to this thread! Anyway, I simply augmented his work very slightly with a few small parts to be a bit more... familiar, shall we say?

88mph2.jpg

Roads? Where Jeb's going, he doesn't need roads. (A rocket might help, though.)

Edited by SkyRender

I'm going to try to build a small cargo boat, that's capable of carrying the KerJeep, I just need the craft file for it, so I can test it, and hopefully it can fit on the boat carrier.

Now I won't be able to do this. I need a way to transport it, and the ways that I came up with made the game crash.

Here's my entry: the KerJeep! An all purpose off-road vehicle that can carry 4 kerbals. I tried to arrange the functional bits (batteries, RTGs, and all the small science) to look like it was being carried in the back. It is surprisingly stable, can't be flipped by turning and has a top speed of 23 m/s on flat ground. If you do flip, the roll cage protects the Kerbals, though they often forget to wear their seat belts and fall out of the vehicle.

Get yours, well-equipped, for zero down payment and no interest for the first 6 months! (just kidding, it's free if you want me to post the craft file)

http://i.imgur.com/BqaKDWW.png

http://i.imgur.com/YBvuaae.png

This is awesome, I would like a craft file.

Here's Jeb posing with the work-in-progress "Bike 3"

-snip-

Still have to find a way to get the wheels closer together. Cubic struts just aren't thin enough.

And we have a bike! Ingenious, truly. I was just waiting for something as crazy and impossible as this. Bravo, can't wait for the finished result.

Major disclaimer! I did not originally build this! A brilliant forum member who was taking requests some time ago on real-world vehicles made this. I can't remember what his username was, but I really hope he pops up and posts more examples of his amazing vehicles to this thread! Anyway, I simply augmented his work very slightly with a few small parts to be a bit more... familiar, shall we say?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp2/ksp/88mph2.jpg

Roads? Where Jeb's going, he doesn't need roads. (A rocket might help, though.)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49670-Cars-by-MeticulousMitch

I've started work on a bike, and it works! But it's backwards... a newbie mistake. Anyway, I'll just re-make it (it was the concept that took the most time, and it only took 30 minutes anyway) and improve it, but this time facing the right way. Hopefully.

Edited by Shna_na
Grammar

As requested, the craft file for the KerJeep. http://www./download/05303dj5fiz0i3n/KerJeep.craft

It includes a Hitchhiker pod attached to it with a pylon decoupler so you don't have to use a separate crew shuttle. Just EVA the Kerbals and then press space to decouple it, leaves no debris on the car. Lock the stage after so you don't accidentally decouple the front bumper!

You can do it:

That's a really great way to do it. Thanks.

Completely reworked the bike, I didn't really like the probe core placement in the original + it didn't have enough torque to keep itself upright.

JX7bLZy.png

The wheels aren't perfect yet, I'll fix them and post the craft file.

Right, I've got two vehicles that are pretty much the extremes of vehicles. At one end, a replica of the Tyrell F1 car, the reason all modern F1 cars have four wheels...because it beat them. 6 Wheels=Better.

7zdh5FE.png

Rear shot

B9FF03Z.png

Top view

qOiVHgz.png

And the V4 RTG Turbocharged engine...(alright, there is no turbo. They aren't in kerbal yet :|)

auE8bSI.png

And at the other (Slower) end of the spectrum, one of those giant dump trucks they use at mines

C31Z2Gw.png

Typical kerbal engineering skill...Yeah, it could be better, but as far as they are concerned, that's nanoscience.

EoWpNWm.png

Epic low angle shot

ZWVa1fx.png

And why you should hate physwarp. Nothing broke though I don't think uprighting it will be easy...

tjQErFm.png

Right, I've got two vehicles that are pretty much the extremes of vehicles. At one end, a replica of the Tyrell F1 car, the reason all modern F1 cars have four wheels...because it beat them. 6 Wheels=Better.

http://i.imgur.com/7zdh5FE.png

It's great! I like what you did with the RTG, and the exaggeration of the spoiler is brilliant.

And at the other (Slower) end of the spectrum, one of those giant dump trucks they use at mines

http://i.imgur.com/C31Z2Gw.png

Hey, it looks great! I know your problem with the corners and the whole strutting fix, such a pain. Wings are just too big, sometimes. Typical, I was going to spend today making a dump truck after watching the latest Little & Cubed (I assume that's where the inspiration came from, yes?). I'll probably do it anyway, the more the merrier, right?

All right, here's my favorite pickup truck.

Wow. Nice attention to detail! The dashboard looks great, and using the ladders as grates for the headlights was something I hadn't even considered. Don't worry about clipping, it's not against the rules here (aesthetics>functionality).

Well, why not:

Here is what I came up with ^^

(as part of the Mun Base pack)

BOXX-CART UT-5 Series rovers:

6fvx.png

These are the light versions though - I have found them to be unstable in low-gravity situations. However, a new series of these rovers is on it's way :)

They will also come with a complimentary garage:

lsyq.png

Edited by GROOV3ST3R

Thanks ^^

They are capable of Mun landing and can take a landing without the need for any gear. Once on the surface, the next stage releases rovers. From there, you can drive into them from both sides and store up to 2 UT-5 units inside each pod. For transport purposes, you can only fit 1 rover per pod.

I believe all of these are available in my Mun Base pack :)

Well, why not:

Here is what I came up with ^^

(as part of the Mun Base pack)

BOXX-CART UT-5 Series rovers:

http://imageshack.com/a/img28/344/6fvx.png

These are the light versions though - I have found them to be unstable in low-gravity situations. However, a new series of these rovers is on it's way :)

They will also come with a complimentary garage:

http://imageshack.com/a/img12/171/lsyq.png

This is some really cool stuff here! Love the crafty work! brilliant!

let me post my try....

i tried to make a MONSTER TRUCK.. instead.... it ended up as a MONSTROUSITY TRUCK..... much MUCH bigger than what i anticipated..... and that's still not the max size. i could still go nuts and make it a BUS....... with 2 or 3 levels (never see that one do you?)

it's not the prettiest thing you will ever see, since im not really good with it, also for the small touches....

but what i do care is the functionality.... everything works

and i did a little rule bending there (because solar panel just doesn't go along with a Monster with reputation for a gas guzzler)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

so it's a Hybrid Monstrousity Truck....

HyMouT for short..... (i thought HMT is just too plain simple)

it has 2 nuclear engine, each limited to 10% max power, it's just for the 'Range Extender' according to mazda.... it's main purpose is well, produce electricity. altho it's slightly pointing towards the back, so it does a very, VERY small amount of forward thrust, but not enough for a forward motion more than 0.5m/s.

it also has some blinkers on the back (because somehow i forgot to put the blinkers on the front) with num 5 and 6

as it is a Monster Truck it cant go fast at all, max speed is 13.8m/s altho for some reason it wouldnt turn when it's going faster than 13.3m/s

PS: please disregard the other vehicle included in there, i uploaded without rechecking, left my computer uploading (cause my net IS that slow) left it too long and i cant edit it anymore

Edited by Koolkei

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.