[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

Just dropping a post to thank you for your contributions and wish you all the best for the future. Glad to see someone has taken this project on as it really does improve immersion, at least for me.

x3

Class act, man. Rbray is like... the perfect stepdad for a graphical enhancement mod.

Just dropping a post to thank you for your contributions and wish you all the best for the future. Glad to see someone has taken this project on as it really does improve immersion, at least for me.

x4 Even! Gotta love the additional immersion that this mod brings to an already pretty awesome game! Thanks for finding a great steward for your mod in Rbray and good luck with all you do in the future. May your boosters always stay lit and your rocket always point you in the right direction!

I don't know if this is known already but this mod does not work well with the Environmental Visual Enhancements Overhaul. In map mode, Kerbin is completely white.

It just needs an option or function to turn of the glare when using the telescope right?

i think a ffull compatabilty with flares on suits better dont you think? but a bare *flares off* until that kind of an update comes is satisfying enough

Thank you for a fantastic mod that adds much by adding little - It just feels wrong now when I don't have it switched on.

Thank you also for the graceful handover on exit, something I would never presume to expect and am delighted to see :).

Is there a GUI for modifying the settings for this mod in game, or is it all by cfg file?

I probably should mention I have toolbar installed.... I just don't see an option for it...

Edited by MrWizerd

Is there a GUI for modifying the settings for this mod in game, or is it all by cfg file?

I probably should mention I have toolbar installed.... I just don't see an option for it...

Go to the options on the toolbar (i think it's a little arrow) and click add more buttons and pick distant object. You can only access it in Space Center though. :P

Is this mod compatible with 0.23? I'm playing v0.23.5.454 and I cannot get this mod to work. I installed it to the "!KSP/GameData" folder but there's no interface at all in the Space Center. The mods I have installed in my "!KSP\GameData" folder are as follows:

BoulderCo

CrewXfer

DistantObject

Engineer

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

NASAmission

Squad

UniverseReplacer

All other mods have installed correctly.

The installation instructions state:

Merge the given GameData folder with KSP's GameData folder, which I have done.

In addition, if you are using a custom planet mod: Extract the relevant "DistantObject" folder inside "Alternate Planet Color Configs"

The only mods listed in the "Alternate Planet Color Configs" folder are these:

Alternis Kerbol

PlanetFactory (default)

Real Solar System (default)

Real Solar System (metaphor's PlanetFactory config)

I have none of these mods installed and they are not a requirement of DistantObject, are they? So I do not need to copy the folder to this location.

What am I doing wrong? I've installed every other mod and texture pack correctly. I have a feeling it doesn't work with 0.23. :(

Is this mod compatible with 0.23? I'm playing v0.23.5.454 and I cannot get this mod to work. I installed it to the "!KSP/GameData" folder but there's no interface at all in the Space Center. The mods I have installed in my "!KSP\GameData" folder are as follows:

BoulderCo

CrewXfer

DistantObject

Engineer

NASAmission

Squad

UniverseReplacer

All other mods have installed correctly.

The installation instructions state:

Merge the given GameData folder with KSP's GameData folder, which I have done.

In addition, if you are using a custom planet mod: Extract the relevant "DistantObject" folder inside "Alternate Planet Color Configs"

The only mods listed in the "Alternate Planet Color Configs" folder are these:

Alternis Kerbol

PlanetFactory (default)

Real Solar System (default)

Real Solar System (metaphor's PlanetFactory config)

I have none of these mods installed and they are not a requirement of DistantObject, are they? So I do not need to copy the folder to this location.

What am I doing wrong? I've installed every other mod and texture pack correctly. I have a feeling it doesn't work with 0.23. :(

You need to have Blizzy's toolbar installed (I think there is a link in the first post)

Blizzy's toolbar? What's that? The only links in the first post were to the DOE itself; no mention of a required toolbar. Sometimes I hate plugins and mods; I am so confused as to what is what and what needs what. :/ I know it's a naive question, but why the hell can't all of these mods and general enhancements be part of the actual, purchased, downloaded game :P

From the OP

NOTES!

• The plugin will not work without Toolbar installed! Toolbar will be fully optional in a later update.
  • This plugin doesn't increase the true rendering distance (it's still ~2.5km) -- it just draws models in place of where the ships should be. No physics are calculated on distant vessels (for obvious performance reasons), so for instance, you couldn't watch satellites deorbit from the ground. You'd have to find a plugin that raises the threshold at which KSP physically loads ships, like Lazor System.
  • Like in real life, satellite passes are best seen shortly before sunrise or shortly after sunset.
  • Cameras in separate windows will display flares and dim the background improperly.
    • This is only an aesthetic incompatibility!
    • If this is actually a problem (like with the Tarsier Telescope), disable flares in the settings menu!

[*]If you experience vessel disassembly or other odd things, disable vessel rendering in the settings menu! This feature should be more stable than in previous releases.

The first item in Notes references it. Not the easiest thing to find, as the post is quite long, but there is a link to it there, and it is currently a requirement for this addon.

Which version? I downloaded the DOE version from the first post. I kinda assumed it would work with 0.23, but obviously not. And I didn't even know there was a KSP v0.24.2...I can't keep track. I only recently downloaded the 64-bit version of 0.23.5.464.

I really want this DOE mod, it would add so much more realism to KSP.Ah well.

Yes – the most recent version of Toolbar is for KSP 0.24.2, so it may cause unusual errors if you try running it on KSP 0.23.5.

Most plugins no longer support 0.23.5. You should check out the official 64 bit version of 0.24.2. I've heard it's somewhat more stable than the community hack.

If you insist on running 0.23.5, there are old versions of Toolbar available on GitHub.

OK, I just downloaded 0.24.2-x64, and finally got everything running. It looks amazing. I was especially pleased to see all my Career Mode achievements, ships, sub-assemblies had carried over too. Just one little question about the Mun's surface. It seems to have an atmosphere, or glow, when viewed from orbit. I have flares in DOE disabled; what are the flares it is referring to? Camera flares? It looks like a camera flare, because everything looks normal from the surface. It's only visible from orbit or at a distance.

FYI here's all the mods now listed in the GameData folder:

000_Toolbar

BoulderCo

CrewXfer

DistantObject

Engineer

Squad

NASAmission

UniverseReplacer

toolbar-settings.dat

LICENSE

ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll

I'm just trying to work out which mod's settings I need to change - if possible -to fix the Mun's glow. If it weren't for this teeny tiny little detail I'd finally be happy. :P

Just one little question about the Mun's surface. It seems to have an atmosphere, or glow, when viewed from orbit.

That sounds like one of the EVE packs. I'm know some of them add clouds around Minmus, not sure about the Mun.

Also, you want ModuleManager to 2.2.0 or 2.2.2+, and double-check that all your other mods are updated. Glad you had such a smooth transition – maybe it was better you missed the update annoucements.

Upgrading to Engineer 1.0+ will break your save, but there are relatively easy save edits to fix that. You can also use 0.6.2.9+, which is compatible with 0.24.2.

I've actually asked rbray89 (the wizard behind Visual Enhancements) to take over this mod, and he's graciously accepted. I'm not sure if he'll roll it into VE or not; I've left that up to him.

And just to be clear, that'll be a few months down the road -- DOE needs some major work done and he has his other projects to worry about first.

In the meantime, if somebody has a patched DLL that fixes all of the NREs and other tidbits (just to be clear, the NREs have existed since the initial release due to bad coding on my part), please PM me before tomorrow and I can update the OP.

Thanks everyone!

No, rubber ducky don't go!!!! (xD wait for it...)

Rubber Ducky, You're The One

Who Makes Kerbin A Shiny Blub

When I Am Out Way In Space

You Help Me Go To A Place!

Rubber Ducky You're The One

Who Makes My KSP Feel So Fun

Why Leave When You Could Stay

And Then We Could Look At Those Shiny Things!

(If anyone gets the reference.. it's sad but it's funny)

Kerbin looks awesome. http://www./view/1sf5rp88tg3ayya/screenshot1.jpg

Mun looks....umm, weird. http://www./view/029ad2wrbbf2gc6/screenshot2.jpg

I removed all but the default mods, then reinstalled E.V.E. It does indeed seem to be the cause, but I can't figure out which setting/s are responsible, if any.

EDIT:

I figured it out. KSP was reading a setting in a CFG file from another pack, which included a line putting a glow on the Mun. All I did was remove this one line, and the glow around the Mun was gone.

Edited by TimKerbin