Kerbalbirds Are Go!

ihtoit

Kerbal politics are a fickle thing. They claim to have insufficient funding for a consolidated any-time-any-where rescue package (yet enough for seven figure salaries for the entire executive, huh??), but Jeff Kerman has other ideas.

THE CHALLENGE:

Jeff Kerman has put it to you, the "Brains" of the outfit, to build a small fleet for him. This should be able to perform multiple missions on land, in the sea and in the air. And in space. There's a job in it for you at Kerman Island if you come up with five great designs!

THE VEHICLES:

(a little inspiration)

KB1: VTOHVVL (Vertical takeoff/horizontally vertical/vertical landing). Rocket shaped, this aircraft is not required to be spaceworthy but it'd be nice. It must be capable of horizontal flight, and pinpoint wheeled vertical landing on its side (followed by a vertical takeoff), or on its tail. Missile firing capability a "would be nice", too. Minimum specified speed (at any altitude): 335m/s. Minimum specified service ceiling: 30,000m. Crew: 1

KB2: HTOHVL (Horizontal takeoff/horizontally vertical landing). This is the workhorse, hence must be able to deposit pods containing deployable equipment. Minimum specified cargo capacity: 10t. Minimum specified speed (at any altitude): 110m/s. Minimum specified service ceiling: 10,000m. Crew: 2. Cargo shorts optional.. Must be able to deploy and retrieve KB4*.

KB3: VTOVL (Vertical takeoff/vertical landing). This is the real speed demon, but not for atmospheric missions. This vessel should be capable of extraplanetary travel and retrieval to Kerbin. It should also be able to dock with KB5. Minimum specified speed: 335m/s (below 5km), 9km/s (Kerbol orbit). Crew: 1, space for 1 more.

KB4: Surface watercraft. I'll be honest here, I couldn't think of a way to make a submarine (I know there's a mod for building subs but I can't for the life of me think what it's called), so I'll vary it a little and say: Jeff wants an amphibious model, capable of traversing both land and sea. Since the original idea was to have a submarine, the powerplant he had planned was to be electric, so that's still on the table. KB4 must be electric. Minimum specified speed: 18m/s (land) 12m/s (water) Crew: 1. Snorkel optional. Must be able to be carried/deployed from KB2*.

KB5: Space station. Specified altitude: 2,868.75km circular Keostationary orbit with a period of 6h0m0s or 1,585.18km circular KS/2 orbit with a period of 3h0m0s. This should ideally be placed in either case with the periapse in line of sight communications range of KSC. It should also have capability to receive signals from anywhere in the Kerbol system (particularly any of your other Kerbalbirds which happen to be deployed). Crew: 1. Spacesuit not optional. You're gonna need one. Also consider the requirement of a docking platform of some sort for KB3 and the option to transfer/store fuel and crew.

RULES:

- NO Infinite Fuel or gravity hacks.

- ALL your Kerbalbirds must have the capability of relayed communication with a satellite (KB5) in half Keosynchronous or Keostationary orbit, between it and Mission Control.

- ANY structural or powerplant mod is OK (with the exception of the already-built Thunderbirds mods!) as long as it's not ridiculously OP - so no infinitely large fuel tanks! Just have fun with it! :D

NOTES:

*Yes, I know how difficult it is to park on a docking port. KAS is an option, there again so is steering over the port and raising your gear until the magnetics engage... :)

My entry box: currently working on KB1

KB5 (I forgot what the imgur album tag was! HELP! :x )

KB3 (need to somehow fit a very long range antenna to this bird but in such a way as it doesn't look like a pencil topper...)

Edited by ihtoit

VTOHVVL (Vertical takeoff/horizontally vertical/vertical landing) | HTOHVL (Horizontal takeoff/horizontally vertical landing

ummm WHAT????? In English?

think Thunderbird 1: takes off vertically through the swimming pool, can then land either on its tail or on its belly (on three-point landing gear with little or no forward velocity), and take off vertically again.

A little like this:

set.jpg

Thunderbird_1_by_Librarian_bot.jpg

Thunderbird1Landing.jpg_2D00_675x550.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.