What movie maker program do you use?

I am currently using Open Broadcasting Software (OBS) to obtain game play video and am quite knowledgeable on how to use it, but I have no program to combine films and make movies. I am using Windows movie maker. Movie maker often likes to delete film clips when closed and often goes "what is this film I cannot even" when confronted with MP4 video files (which it can sort of play as long as they are over about a minute and a half long).

Do any of you have a better video editing program/movie maker?

See you later,

Avera9eJoe

I use Fraps to capture video and Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, those are the best tools around for this kind of work, you can do things like this:

Can you share the specs of your computer? Ram? GPU? Video Card?

Edited by Wooks

I use Fraps to capture video and Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, those are the best tools around for this kind of work, you can do things like this:

Can you share the specs of your computer? Ram? GPU? Video Card?

That intro is awesome!

First: Is Adobe Premiere Pro free or do you have to actually buy it?

Second: About my CPU stats I'm sorry I cannot currently get them to you as I'm currently in Spanish class on a netbook...

I can tell you though that I have a 32 bit that can launch no more than 400 part rockets with bad enough lag to not be worth recording (quarter res).

I'm not looking for a recording software (unless it can put out fast MP3's and is free :P), but I badly need an editing program :(

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I haven't done a KSP movie, but I use Fraps for the capture and Sony Vegas for the editing. It's not free, but I have a license through my work. I think it's about $150. There's other editions like moviemaker which is only $50, but I've never tried anything but the pro edition so I can't comment on it's features.

First: Is Adobe Premiere Pro free or do you have to actually buy it?

Second: About my CPU stats I'm sorry I cannot currently get them to you as I'm currently in Spanish class on a netbook...

I can tell you though that I have a 32 bit that can launch no more than 400 part rockets with bad enough lag to not be worth recording (quarter res).

No, both Adobe and Fraps needs to be purchased. For free editing software you can find a wide variety and you´ll need to experiment with them to find the one you like, some are trial versions, some are free to instal:

http://www.softonic.com/s/free-video-editor

On the other hand I worked A LOT with Windows Movie Maker in my first video experiments and I can tell you is a very versatile tool, maybe not the best ones but you have it already and is very easy to use and intuitive, but bear in mind that is extremely limited in what you can do with it.

Edited by Wooks

@Wooks

I'm not sure about how versatile it is as it can't really run MP4 files, but I have found how limited it can be. Windows Movie Maker is very good at doing easy things, but not adequate at saving/loading.

Thanks for all your advice on programs. Keep posting your programs please :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Make sure you have updated to the latest version of movie maker. It handles mp4 just fine. No need to spend that hard earned cash on a movie editor unless you are a pro and are doing it to put food on the table.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker#t1=overview

Also +1 for Fraps.

Edited by Otis

Sierra if you want a good video recorder I'd definitely go for OBS (Open Broadcasting Software). Its meant for streaming off websites but it makes great film if set up to. It makes great videos and is very easy to record AND use a microphone as long as you don't mind using MP4s (and it sets your windows theme to default when run). Watch a video on how to use it before trying anything though or setup will confuse you.

I'm going cheep and free myself :P. Otis just pointed out to me that Movie maker could be out of date on my PC and yes it was :P. Movie maker with the current version seems to have everything I need :).

Keep posting suggestions though

Otis just pointed out to me that Movie maker could be out of date on my PC and yes it was :P. Movie maker with the current version seems to have everything I need :).

Good to know, please show us some of your videos once you have them online.

Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum suite for editing, Fraps for recording. I'd like to get something better for recording but I don't know what would work.

Know that Sony is expensive, but I have my ways of getting it for a sizable discount.

Fraps is the best around, stick with it and never look back. The only drawback would be the humongous size of the video files Fraps encodes, but you can set your recording sessions to 30fps and make them less monstruous; Youtube do not exceed 30 frames per second on playback so anything higher is a waste.

Easy tutorial on how to set fraps correctly

Edited by Wooks

Fraps is the best around, stick with it and never look back. The only drawback would be the humongous size of the video files Fraps encodes, but you can set your recording sessions to 30fps and make them less monstruous; Youtube do not exceed 30 frames per second on playback, so if you are recording your videos for that then 30fps is the best.

I do record at 30FPS, but that's still ~ a gig a minute, I kidd you not. Thankfully, Movie studio compresses it down a LOT once I render it. God that is some beautiful software. Best google search I ever did.

I do record at 30FPS, but that's still ~ a gig a minute, I kidd you not. Thankfully, Movie studio compresses it down a LOT once I render it. God that is some beautiful software. Best google search I ever did.

Yeah, that pretty much is the average size of a file, but boy it looks good. Gonna check that movie studio.

I use OBS and Sony Vegas Pro 12.0 EDIT (Doesn't include the DVD Architect software which makes it cheaper).

I used a bunch of trials before I bought Sony Vegas and for the price, Movie Studio is actually really good imo. If you're a student it only costs $30 for the Academic version as well! For $30 it blows any free editing software out of the water while still bringing in a lot of the features of the more powerful programs. If I wasn't using Vegas pro I'd be using Movie Studio 13. Spend a little bit more for PLatinum to get some extra features and quality of life stuff if you want. :)

Fraps is the best around, stick with it and never look back...Youtube do not exceed 30 frames per second on playback so if you are planning to upload them there then set it that way.

I would still be in the market for a better quality recording but again, I'm a total freeloader at this time :I. Also space is a huge issue on my PC currently too.

Also good to hear that about youtube

I don't make videos for KSP (yet...) but I do in-game footage and videos of me and my clan playing War Thunder. And in getting that up and running I looked at several solutions and found a combination that works really well.

First issue is capturing the video. Most screen-capture software just dumps uncompressed or only mildly compressed video onto your hard-disk. Resulting in huge video files that require a lot of your PC to work with later on.

Bandicam solves this (link to trial version, 10 minutes cap on video-capture). It compresses video on the fly which in this day and age of multiple CPU cores doesn't affect the gameplay all that much. Should the game be CPU heavy and tax all your available cores, Bandicam can instead compress to h.264 using the GPU, just as long as you got a newer nVidia card with CUDA.

I use the latter, compressing on the fly using the graphics card, as War Thunder is quite CPU heavy. My graphics card though got processor power to spare, as I've capped it at 60fps - the refresh rate of my monitor. So I suffer no frameloss when capturing in-game video using Bandicam (at 30fps and 1280x720 resolution - in-game is 60fps and 1920x1080). File sizes is about 1.2gig for 10 minutes of video.

Next up is video-editing. I got experience with Avid, so I'd love to use that. But it cost an arm and a leg, plus pawning off your first-born. So not really an option. I tried using Premiere, but I found that tedious, as it had to convert from h.264 to whatever Premiere use internally. After a bit of digging, I found AVS Video Editor (free trial, if you buy you get 15 other tools in the bargain), that works really well with h.264 files.

It's a bit lightweight as far as video editors goes, more for the home/casual user than the professional, but it gets the job done and is very cheap. No need to convert imported files and when the project is done it got presets for exporting into a format that is optimized for YouTube (amongst others). Really easy to work with, and you only need to render your video once - when exporting.

Edited by Zylark
spelling, links

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.