Ability to store experiments on probes

The ability to store experiments on probes is a small change that would impact hugely on game play.

The objective here is, while on a far away manned mission, send all the experiments you gathered back to Kerbin, on a much smaller and lighter craft.

An alternative to storing science on probes is to provide a small, light-weight science storage unit that can be attached to a probe. The unit would draw a constant amount of electricity, to preserve the experiments.

This option would open the possibility to go a very long exploration mission carrying a bunch of small probes, which could be sent back periodically as you gathered science.

Wouldn't it be fun to be on the ground of Eve and watch you little science-filled probe shoot up to the sky, relatively effortlessly, on it's merry way back to Kebin?

In a sense this can already be done, you just have to pretend that a mk1 lander can is your storage container... and that you also put a probe command module on it so you don't have to send a Kerbal home...

step 1 : rendezvous with the probe you want to send home

2 : send a kerbal on eva from the main vessel

3 : now on eva, right click the science things + the main module and click take data

4 : now right click on the mk1 lander can on your probe and click "store data"

5: send your probe on its way and put the kerbal back in the main vessel...

In a sense this can already be done, you just have to pretend that a mk1 lander can is your storage container[...]

No we can't, but probes IRL theoretically could store digital data, if not samples. OPs argument is for realism, not game mechanic - at least that's how I see it. And I support it.

One thing for balance sake:

1) probe bodies CAN'T store actual physical samples, only digital ones like instrument readings;

2) they CAN'T analyze the samples (and data) like the mobile lab does (this is so that there is a valid reason for sending manned missions);

3) and last they CAN'T "take in" experiments - automated craft have to either transmit experiments, or physically return it to Kerbin.

No we can't, but probes IRL theoretically could store digital data, if not samples. OPs argument is for realism, not game mechanic - at least that's how I see it. And I support it.

One thing for balance sake:

1) probe bodies CAN'T store actual physical samples, only digital ones like instrument readings;

2) they CAN'T analyze the samples (and data) like the mobile lab does (this is so that there is a valid reason for sending manned missions);

3) and last they CAN'T "take in" experiments - automated craft have to either transmit experiments, or physically return it to Kerbin.

It would be interesting to have a "Sample Return Canister" part that could store a set number of experiments, similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_16.

I don't see any reason to add many of the suggested features to currently existing probes, but I think new probes should be added with these functionalities. A probe that can handle experiments could also be one that has other storage space for small equipment and such, and it would take up more space than a normal probe of its power.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.