Is this a good first time getting to Minmus?

Clockwork13

I had about half of my fuel fuel left in my rockomax engine, and when I ditched it so I could land, I made it back to Kerbin with like half of my lander's fuel unused. Although my ship fell over when I landed so I had to keep reloading my quicksave and spinning it around until I got it off of the surface..

Sounds like it went well. Personally though, if I fuel left over upon returning to Kerbin, I always make sure to burn it all to reduce my reentry speed. Of course, this isn't necessary if you're not using Deadly Reentry.

One thing to know is that minmus gravity is so low that you can sometimes right your craft with just command pod torque. Heck, I've seen someone do it with extending solar panels before! If you have RCS thrusters and some monopropellant (in all capsules unless you tweaked it out), you can practically get back to orbit.

Generally? Is there any case where you can't?

The total delta V required is less, the TWR is less... the skill required to land is less (flatter landing sites, much less losses to "gravty drag" means you can take your time on the landing, instead trying to optimie with a full burn moments before it is too late).

I initially ditched my non lander stages too... then I realized with the low gravity and flatness. I could verically land some pretty tall rockets on minmus, just sitting on the nozzle, and the gyros were enough to keep them upright...

Sounds good... its generally better to have more fuel than you need, than to need more fuel than you have.

My first duna missions... I took way too much fuel.. but I was still proud to have pulled it off, I've got quite a bit of ful orbiting Duna now... :P

Minmus is a easier target for the first landing than Mun, the only tricky thing to the new player might be it's sligly inclined orbit (You can still get the encounter even without plane ajustments but it's more difficult and you will have to spend more fuel for orbital ajustment). Landing on minmus is simple as long as you manage to kill your lateral velocity. Other huge benifit is that stock 0.23 have biomes only on Kerbin, Mun and Minmus. And due to the minmus low gravity you can have a lot of surface samples in different biomes using your EVA Jetpack or simply flying your spacecraft from spot to spot. I managed to get over 1500 science during my first mission to minmus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.