[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

In fact the thrust problem with SRBs is just all of the SRBs of one type are capped at the same thrust - nothing to do with staging.

I worked around it so I could have two different thrust vacuum SRBs on one rocket by duplicating the whole of the vacuum SRB definition in SRDRFHigh (I'm using Real Fuels), and just changing the name and title of the duplicate.

Ah, I hadn't even noticed that, because I was already creating a "new" SRB type for each of the different types of boosters aside from the ones I was using to test the baseline values with - since I was changing the fuel densities as well to match various solid fuel types in real-world use :P. I'm hoping to get it all refined into an actual modification to RealFuels so that you will have choices for PBAN, HTPB, as well as for non-APCP-based propellants.

What's new:

• Official support for Kethane / Extraplanetary Lanchpads / TAC
  • Improvements to SRBs
  • Improvements to Decouplers
  • Allow either end of cone shapes to be the small end

The big update for this release is official versions of tanks for Kethane, Extraplanetary Lanchpads, and TAC. They have been skilfully configed by OtherBarry, and will remain as faithful to the originals as possible. These will automatically work when you have the appropriate mods installed, you don't need to do anything.
    Both the decoupler and SRB changes should upgrade from previous versions cleanly, although I'm not totally guaranteeing it so you might want to back up your saves.
    I've done some tweaking with the decouplers - they now show the decouple force as an impulse, in newton seconds, which is the correct dimensions. Stock decouplers have a bug (have reported to the Squad overloards) where they use a force where they really mean an impulse. As a result you can fire a decoupler in phys-warp and have it be up to 4x more powerful. What's a newton second? Well if you had two 500kg masses (1T total) and decoupled them at 1kNs, then the departure velocity would be 1m/s.
    I've also done some upgrades to the SRB code. The thrust, heat, and scale factor for the SRB is now stored with the save, so you can tweak the config parameters in the PART file safely and it won't affect ships in flight. There's also an improved way of doing the config too, full details are within the Parts/Tank/4SRB.cfg file. There's a new, somewhat easier formula for mass which stops tiny SRBs from getting ridiculously hot, and the config for the scaling of the thrust / bell is much easier to figure out. (same basic maths, scale proportional to sqrt(thrust)).
    This will be the last set of features prior to a 1.0 release, which I will do on Friday. Please report any bugs / issues you find.

I`ve found incorrect scaling bug, 0.1 m stepping even without installed RSS. Might be because in ModuleManager folder file is RealSolarSystem.cfg not RealSolarSystem.cfg.notused . Also, fuel tanks are empty. Again. Also, first attempt of changing size is successful while any next makes no change to part`s size, it`s like freezing.

Meanwhile decouplers works well(except of 0.1 m scaling) but now they are 20 kg for 0.625. :huh:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ProceduralParts.TankContentSwitcher.UpdateMassAndResources (Boolean typeChanged) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.TankContentSwitcher.ChangeVolume (Single volume) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.ServiceImpl.Send (KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.CurrentEventInfoImpl message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.ServiceImpl+MessageConsolidator.Dispose () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Yup, I'm getting the same problems as Rioliki.

First and foremost, all procedural parts except the decoupler will only move when you use the arrows, not when you use the sliders, and after pressing any of the arrows once, pressing them a second time still changes the value in the UI, but has no visible effect on the part. The only two tweakables not affected by this are textures and tank shapes, and also tank content switcher. Interestingly, on launching, they go to the size that the tweakable menu says they should be, and keep that size on reverting to the VAB (Although the being unable to resize them bug persists after reverting). Launched tanks also have no right click menu whatsoever, and contribute nothing to the resources panel.

Secondly, There is no tweakable fuel slider what so ever, leaving no way of knowing how much fuel is in a tank.

Thirdly, the SRBs are A) also affected by the above bugs, B) Showing the engine effects in the vehicle assembly, and then duplicating that effect about 5m to the left of the first effect, and C) The slider under thrust, which I think is where the Surface/Vacuum slider was, just says *Not Found*, and clicking the arrows does nothing.

That's all the bugs I've found so far, but It's hard to try and find more when you can't launch any ships.

Thirdly, the SRBs are A) also affected by the above bugs, B) Showing the engine effects in the vehicle assembly, and then duplicating that effect about 5m to the left of the first effect, and C) The slider under thrust, which I think is where the Surface/Vacuum slider was, just says *Not Found*, and clicking the arrows does nothing.

just wanted to say the same thing.

Edited by Rioliki
Bed English. =)

In the latest .94 the life support containers weren't working for me as well as the reported above. The life support container (the general resource one) wasn't giving me the option to change resource amounts and amounts weren't showing up in the TAC menu either in VAB or on launchpad.

*EDIT* Removed the question about procedural interstages I'm being silly...

Edited by Green Skull

In the latest .94 the life support containers weren't working for me as well as the reported above. The life support container (the general resource one) wasn't giving me the option to change resource amounts and amounts weren't showing up in the TAC menu either in VAB or on launchpad.

*EDIT* Removed the question about procedural interstages I'm being silly...

I'll look into that now.

I'll look into that now.

So it works fine for me, but I'm using an unreleased bug patch, so I suppose that doesn't mean much. Most likely it will be fixed in the next update, but it could also be a bad install on your side.

stepDiameter being 1 and 0.1m problem, you have to upgrade to the latest module manager, and that should fix it.

Yup, MM 2.0.3 fix it.

Proposition to keep “stable version†link side by side with the newest version link. Just because some idiots does not save mod’s previous version archive and replace modfolder in gamedata via deleting old one. And now they cant play using this mod.;.;

Yup, MM 2.0.3 fix it.

Proposition to keep “stable version†link side by side with the newest version link. Just because some idiots does not save mod’s previous version archive and replace modfolder in gamedata via deleting old one. And now they cant play using this mod.;.;

The old 0.9.3 release is still up on github: https://github.com/Swamp-Ig/ProceduralParts/releases/download/v0.9.3/ProceduralParts.0.9.3.zip

Looks like the problem was using old versions of module manager, which is why it Works For Me

I've done a new release anyhow. The main addition is moving the StretchySRB deprecation into a module manager config, and including the latest MM in with the mod so the problem doesn't show up.

Go ahead and have a play.

Edited by swamp_ig
Release 0.9.5

Greetings.

I'm having a small problem with the SRB's. I see their plumes inside the VAB and an other one as well, few meters apart. See the screenshot. Here is my output_log.txt.

I'm running my game with Real Solar System. As I have a old laptop with a 32bit OS, i'm experiencing memory issues. In order to fix it, I removed all the stock tanks and SRB's from Squad. Other than that, I'm using Real Engines.

Does somebody knows what is happening? Is this a known bug?

The version I use of the Module Manager is 1.5.7 and I downloaded Procedural Parts this morning, so I expect I use the latest version.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:I was on 0.9.4. Switching to 0.9.5 fixed it. NEVERMIND

Edited by Benoît

0.9.5 switched to needs RealismOverhaul for the diameters, but RealismOverhaul isn't a plugin so it doesn't do anything. I suggest you just change it back to RealFuels since it's a safe assumption people with RealFuels also have RO.