[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be used

Don't consolidate libraries, it will break things (it's so each module can have its own version, otherwise all users would have to update their releases symultaniously)

I can understand that, but it's getting rather messy and confusing in my Gamedata folder. I now have KSPAPIExtensions.dll in .\GameData, .\GameData\TweakScale\Plugins, and .\GameData\ProceduralParts\Plugins folders.

Tweakscale must have done the GameData\ copy.

Delete it fromt here, not a good place for it.

I think the latest update doesn't do that.

IR Model Rework - Robotics 0.8 has it in the .\GameData folder. Probably because of this mods dependency on TweakScale. But this is a good example of the confusion of having multiple versions laying around can cause.

That's the way it has to be.

Every user of KAE needs to compile their code using it. Unfortunately this means that that version of the DLL needs to be available at run-time or it won't run. Short of having to update every single mod using KAE whenever KAE itself is versioned (which is obviously untenable) then there's no other option.

The DLL itself is written with this in mind, and will generally invoke the latest version of the code through some trickery, but there's no getting around having the DLL itself distributed with every user.

The only other option would be to have a sub-folder with all the versions in it named by their version name, but then you don't know which mod has installed which version, which IMHO is worse.

Unfortunately a few modders took the DLL and used it in their code without contacting me about it first, so they packaged it wrong.

Sry, but I don't understand. Should we keep the different versions of KSPAPIExtensions.dll in their respective mod folder (the folder belonging to the mod they came with in the first place), or should we delete every version but the latest? Or should we do something else?

Edit: Oh and is it possible to have the SRB nozzle diameter scale with SRB diameter like it does in stretchy tanks, instead of with thrust as it does now?

I'm using honeyfox's plugin for SRB thrust anyway, and I want my SRB's to look more intimidating I guess :)

Also, is anyone else experiencing a bug where you can't revert to launch/VAB or go to the space center from a vessel with this mod?

Edited by ThorBeorn

Sry, but I don't understand. Should we keep the different versions of KSPAPIExtensions.dll in their respective mod folder (the folder belonging to the mod they came with in the first place), or should we delete every version but the latest? Or should we do something else?

Just put them wherever the mods in question suggest and leave them there. If there are any problems, it's most likely a problem from a different mod.

Edit: Oh and is it possible to have the SRB nozzle diameter scale with SRB diameter like it does in stretchy tanks, instead of with thrust as it does now?

Scaling with thrust is logical, as that's how SRBs work IRL, in that the narrowest point of the nozzle affects the exhaust velocity. It might be possible to revert it without a code rewrite, but I doubt it.

Also, is anyone else experiencing a bug where you can't revert to launch/VAB or go to the space center from a vessel with this mod?

Not that I know of. Are you sure it's PP related? If so, output logs and such from when you attempt to leave the flight scene would be helpful.

...Also, is anyone else experiencing a bug where you can't revert to launch/VAB or go to the space center from a vessel with this mod?

I've been experiencing this lately also, before I installed PP. Haven't quite figured out what is causing it as my install is heavily modded. I think it has something to do with persistance corruption because a few times I was seemingly able to fix the issue by terminating some unidentified debris from the Tracking Station.

I've been experiencing this lately also' date=' before I installed PP. Haven't quite figured out what is causing it as my install is heavily modded. I [i']think it has something to do with persistance corruption because a few times I was seemingly able to fix the issue by terminating some unidentified debris from the Tracking Station.
Not that I know of. Are you sure it's PP related? If so' date=' output logs and such from when you attempt to leave the flight scene would be helpful.[/quote']

I deleted PP and now it works. I also run about 60 mods, so it may not mean that much. I'll stick to stretchies for now and come back to PP in a couple of weeks (just want the reliability now, lot's of work maintaining a heavy modded game already). If the problem is still there I will post the output log and do what I can to help out.

Regarding nozzle sizes, realism is a good reason. In fact I don't mind the scaling per se, it's just that the nozzles look tiny to me. Is the scaling proportions based on real data?

Btw, I forgot to say this is a great mod and I'm looking forward to using it later.

Edited by ThorBeorn

Are the structural parts hollow?

It would be super handy if I could attach rcs tanks and batteries and whatnot to the inside of hollow structural parts.

Features That Are Not Planned

• Shapes with 'holes' in them and concave shapes - including toroids.
  • Procedural wings, procedural fairings - there's good mods for these already.
  • Procedural engines - May happen one day, but not a priority.

Regarding nozzle sizes, realism is a good reason. In fact I don't mind the scaling per se, it's just that the nozzles look tiny to me. Is the scaling proportions based on real data?

The scaling law is physical. The actual nozzle sizes aren't based on real data.

If you look at the config file for SRBs it's well documented how to tweak the scaling factor.

What about having more then one nozzle on an srb? The first stage of the Polaris missile had 4 nozzles on it.

Also, i'm having problems with the right click menu not showing up after a while, not sure why exactly, though it only started after i updated this.

Edit: Right click menu seems to also brake in flight.

Edited by bs1110101

Also, i'm having problems with the right click menu not showing up after a while, not sure why exactly, though it only started after i updated this.

Could you please be a bit more specific with your bug report? Like: what part, what mods also installed, anything pop up in the debug window, anything in the log.

Hi,

First of all I really like your mod. It gives me countless of pleasures so applause to the OP. I have stumbled upon a problem with your mod. A problem which is probably configurable. But I can't seem to solve it.

The issue I'm having is with most the procedural tank parts. In this case the procedural liquid tank part from the basic rocketry tree node. I want my tank with a diameter of 3.5meters. I did this but initially couldn't do this.

The diameter bar doesn't go pass 3 meter at that point it is showed as full and cannot add more diameter.

Going out the VAB and back into it does enable me to add the diameter up to 3.5meters as I desire. But when I then exit the VAB and enter again it's automatically changed back to 3m.

So how do I get rid of this limit? I tried searching the .cfg files myself and actually found the line diameterMax = 1.5 In the 1tankliquid.cfg file. And changed the value to 5.0

But that didn't do anything.

Are you in a career game?

There's limits to the diameters, lengths, volumes, and shapes that you can use based on the tech level. This is to keep it consistent with stock. There's a section in the OP on how to alter the tech limits.

Also 1tankliquid is deprecated, you want 0tankswitchable

Does anything special need to be done to make procedural heat shields work with deadly reentry? I'm using RO and RSS and it seems as if the procedural heat shield isn't actually protecting anything. (I've done reentries before with the stock 4M heatshield).

I'm trying a few more things to be sure

Shouldn't need to do anything special, it works pretty much identically to the existing heat shields.

You're not running out of ablative shielding? try right-clicking on the part when you reenter and see what happens.

OK it worked this time. I have a 4M gyro wheel between the heat shield and the capsule. It seems to get hotter with the procedural shieod (no idea why). Maybe it blew up first and then everything else went. Wish there was a readout of all component temperatures.

Use about 1/2 the ablative shielding on a 8.5Km/s reentry. Can keep mostly below 5Gs using the torque wheel to adjust the glide. Still working on a good config for an 11-12Km/s interplanetary reentry scheme.

It's broken because from MFT 4.0 release it's not required. I've been busy with RL lately and haven't had a chance to sort it out.

I'm imminently about to release PP 1.0, so will be fixed up for that. Also RF 6.0 is due out imminently also, without needing any compatibility stuff.

Edit:

Both are now out. Will be releasing 1.0 in due course.

Edited by swamp_ig

OK it worked this time. I have a 4M gyro wheel between the heat shield and the capsule. It seems to get hotter with the procedural shieod (no idea why). Maybe it blew up first and then everything else went. Wish there was a readout of all component temperatures.

I thought you could do that with the right-click menu already? Obviously not...

Maybe make the p-shield a bit bigger? Don't know really, DRE isn't my mod.

Just had a thought: Would it be possible to extend the 'Fuselage Section' or add a similar part as 'Crew Compartment' which has:

Initially:

- Crew Capacity (selectable via a slider)

- Connected Living Space Support

and also optionally:

- scalable TAC and/or ECLSS support for onboard resources/waste

and maybe in the long run:

- procedural IVA similar to that planned for the procedural capsule

- slots for science experiments

Crew capacity, resource container size and number of experiments would be restricted by the physical size of the module.

I'd like to know if it's possible that these could be added without coding the changes into the plugin? If so I can do it and send you the configs to integrate. IF the plugin needs altering to account for the resources then consider it a suggestion from me :) I guess it's not far removed from the crew capsule you proposed in the OP but it would add a cool ability to construct custom space station components at any scale and have them work properly as station parts. The life support resource and science experiments resource might also double up as useful for a procedural resupply module.

Just things that flashed into my head this morning on my commute :)

Edited by MDBenson

When using procedural SRBs with the RealFuels patch, I seem to be getting a lot of bugs. As soon as I tweak the diameter, the model freezes and the debug toolbar gives me

[Log]: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.UpdateMaxThrust () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.ChangeAttachNodeSize (.AttachNode node, Single minDia, Single area) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.ServiceImpl.Send (KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.CurrentEventInfoImpl message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.ServiceImpl+MessageConsolidator.Dispose () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape.OnUpdateEditor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Attempting to tweak something like tech level results in:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Before downloading the RealFuels patch, my procSRBs would tweak correctly, but reset to seemingly random burn times upon physics loading, eg I'd set a stage to burn for 75 seconds and it decides to burn for 7 seconds. Am I just doing something stupid? Or maybe messed up the mod installation in some way?

Thanks

O

On a clean reinstall the RPL mods, procSRBs burn times are still resetting after physics loads. It seems to be limited to upper stages.

In VAB

screenshot180.png~original

Before physics loads

screenshot181.png~original

After physics loads

screenshot182.png~original

And yet the persistent file shows the correct burn time even after physics loads

Untitled.jpg