[WIP] [KSP 0.24] Kethane Plus v0.3

psyper

Mining water works the same as kethane and KSPI uses LqdWater, not Water which is why its not recognised. Don't know if changing the name would work though.

If it's named differently then it wouldn't know that it's the same resource. Renaming it will work but you need to rename it in the script file for the drills and scanners. When I get a chance I can create an add-on specifically for kspi if you'd prefer. I want do carer for as many resource mods as poss!

As for the water tanks they act just like the kethane system so you will need water tanks connected directly to your craft or reverse fuel lines if radially mounted. You can alternatively use the europa edition which adds tiny tanks to new and existing converters on any craft and you can the drill and convert directly from them.

Mars Edition has been uploaded. I haven't had a chance to test this yet - probably will in the next couple of days!! But you're more than welcome to give the beta a try and feed back any issues/suggestions. This doesn't plug in to anything except the Kethane mod but you can use this in your own scenario as a type of commodity - I'm thinking that you have to return tanks of Iron back to Kerbin to pay for your space endeavours maybe??

Kethane Plus - Mars Edition 0.2

Download: Here

• Adds Iron Ore as a mineable resource.
  • Iron Ore covers the following bodies 100% (mostly): Duna, Bop.
  • Drills and Scanners are able to mine and detect Iron Ore.
  • Adds Iron as a resource which you cannot mine.
  • Enables Kethane's converters to convert Iron Ore to Iron.
  • Adds additional Blackheart612 Shiny Iron Ore and Iron Tanks under the Utility category.

The Mars Edition will give you the ability to find and mine Iron Ore and convert it in to Iron. You can use this in your own KSP scenario as some sort of payment to bring back to Kerbin for your space explorations.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo! This mod looks hecka cool. :) I hope you keep it up, I'm DYING for some way to mine TAC resources using the Kethane API.

I think some support for the resources from Extraplanetary Launchpads might be pretty cool, for the purpose of building and launching stuff entirely on other planets.

You might also take a look at the resources from KSP Interstellar and Near Future Propulsion. I'd love to mine hydrogen and argon and uranium. ^^

Edited by Doctor Axel

• 1 month later...
Yo! This mod looks hecka cool. :) I hope you keep it up, I'm DYING for some way to mine TAC resources using the Kethane API.

I think some support for the resources from Extraplanetary Launchpads might be pretty cool, for the purpose of building and launching stuff entirely on other planets.

You might also take a look at the resources from KSP Interstellar and Near Future Propulsion. I'd love to mine hydrogen and argon and uranium. ^^

KSPI has it's own internal mining system. As for using the Kethane API for TAC Lifesupport, try this

Hello!

I have a problem with the mod. I am using the very latest version of the game, and the Kethane, and these extensions, that I have downloaded yesterday from here.

When I try starting the game, the module manager tells me that there are two errors in the config of the Mercury edition. The game loads, and I do not know for sure if everything is correct, as I am not familiar with how it should work.

Is there any fix for this?

Also, is there a possibility to fill the tank with fuel on the way to the planet, and fill it with water or kethane on the way back?

And is it possible to integrate the mod with the real fuels, to recalculate the volume and indicate the contents in liters, like it is done with all the tanks in the game?

Thank you!

Edited by Kitspace

Hello!

I have a problem with the mod. I am using the very latest version of the game, and the Kethane, and these extensions, that I have downloaded yesterday from here.

When I try starting the game, the module manager tells me that there are two errors in the config of the Mercury edition. The game loads, and I do not know for sure if everything is correct, as I am not familiar with how it should work.

Is there any fix for this?

Also, is there a possibility to fill the tank with fuel on the way to the planet, and fill it with water or kethane on the way back?

And is it possible to integrate the mod with the real fuels, to recalculate the volume and indicate the contents in liters, like it is done with all the tanks in the game?

Thank you!

Hello Kitspace. I just downloaded and installed this mod today and I was getting the same error you described. So, I dug through the output_log and I think I found the error.

The problem is in these lines from the mercury.cfg :

@PART[kethane_2m_converter]:HAS[@MODULE[KethaneConverter]:HAS[@InputRates[*]:HAS[#Kethane], @OutputRatios[*]:HAS[#Oxidizer]]]

@PART[kethane_1m_converter]:HAS[@MODULE[KethaneConverter]:HAS[@InputRates[*]:HAS[#Kethane], @OutputRatios[*]:HAS[#Oxidizer]]]

There should not be a space in front of @OutputRatios. Take out that space and module manager will stop giving the errors. I hope this helps. I'm going to start playing with this mod now and see if everything else is ok. I've been looking for something to add to the KSP gameplay without getting too complicated.

Edited by Otis

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, dirk. This thread refers to a mod that makes kethane a little more difficult by taking away the ability to directly convert kethane to both liquid fuel and oxidizer. Real fuels adds even more difficulty by changing much more. So, to make a stab at answering your question, notice this from the mercury.cfg of kethane plus :

@PART[kethane_highGain]
{
@MODULE[KethaneDetector]
{
Resource
{
Name = Water
}
}

This adds water as a scannable(is scannable even a word?) resource for the high gain kethane scanner. For the scanner to work with real fuels you would have to add each real fuel resource within that config. Same goes for the other scanners and the drills. Also, each real fuel resource would need it's own .cfg so that it would show up in the map view with it's own color. Look at this from water.cfg from the mercury resources folder :

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Water
density = 0.002
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}

KethaneResource
{
Resource = Water
ColorFull = 0.08235294, 0.1019608, 0.6901961
ColorEmpty = 0.1858824, 0.1929412, 0.3105883
Generator
{
name = LegacyResourceGenerator
MinRadius = 7.29
MaxRadius = 16.2
MinQuantity = 10000
MaxQuantity = 500000
MinVertices = 20
MaxVertices = 50
RadiusVariance = 0.45
DepositCount = 17
NumberOfTries = 30
Body
{
name = Kerbin
DepositCount = 1
MinRadius = 600
MaxRadius = 600
RadiusVariance = 1
MinQuantity = 100000000
MaxQuantity = 100000000
}
Body
{
name = Laythe
DepositCount = 1
MinRadius = 600
MaxRadius = 600
RadiusVariance = 1
MinQuantity = 50000000
MaxQuantity = 50000000
}
Body
{
name = Eeloo
DepositCount = 1
MinRadius = 400
MaxRadius = 400
RadiusVariance = 1
MinQuantity = 100000
MaxQuantity = 100000
}
Body
{
name = Vall
DepositCount = 1
MinRadius = 400
MaxRadius = 400
RadiusVariance = 1
MinQuantity = 100000
MaxQuantity = 100000
}
Body
{
name = Mun
DepositCount = 27
}
Body
{
name = Minmus
MaxRadius = 12.96
}
Body
{
name = Sun
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Jool
DepositCount = 0
}
}
}

This also sets up how easy or hard it is to find a particular resource on a given celestial body. This would have also have to be done for each real fuels resource.

So, can it be done? Yes. Will it be easy? not so much. There are alot of resources in real fuels. It would be a rather tedious project IMO. But if you have got the time and patience, go for it!

Thanks, what I'd like to do is simply change LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to a reasonable RF counterpart, not make it possible to mine every single RF resource, of the bat, anyway.

Thanks, what I'd like to do is simply change LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to a reasonable RF counterpart, not make it possible to mine every single RF resource, of the bat, anyway.

Ok, so to do this I would go into the kethane mod itself and modify the configs for the converters. You can also do this with the module manager, but that would require learning how to code for module manager. Simpler in my opinion to just directly modify the kethane converter's part.cfg if it's just going to be for personal use. Go into the kethane parts folder and find the part.cfg for each converter. Open it with notepad or notepad++ and look for this :

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}

You would want to add whatever resource you want the converter to output between the brackets under output ratios. Using kerosene for example, after you finish it should look like this :

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}
MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Kerosene = 0.97
}
}

Notice how I added a new module. You will be able to adjust input rates this way to balance it however you want. If you want to eliminate liquid fuels, just delete the module for that resource. Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by Otis
grammar

• 1 month later...

The next time I have to restart a save, a I think I am installing this. for sure if the Saturn edition is available by then, I have been wanting to try life support for a while, but retrofitting every station and base in my save to a different supply chain... Anyhow, looks very nice!

Rune. There are "a few" of those.

Ok, so to do this I would go into the kethane mod itself and modify the configs for the converters. You can also do this with the module manager, but that would require learning how to code for module manager. Simpler in my opinion to just directly modify the kethane converter's part.cfg if it's just going to be for personal use. Go into the kethane parts folder and find the part.cfg for each converter. Open it with notepad or notepad++ and look for this :

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}

You would want to add whatever resource you want the converter to output between the brackets under output ratios. Using kerosene for example, after you finish it should look like this :

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.97
}
}
MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Kerosene = 0.97
}
}

Notice how I added a new module. You will be able to adjust input rates this way to balance it however you want. If you want to eliminate liquid fuels, just delete the module for that resource. Hope this helps and good luck!

I'm so sorry - I really need to look after my mod's and customers a lot more (note to self I really need to check back to the forum every once in a while!) but I am back. The main reason why this kinda dropped off the edge of my peripheral vision is mainly because of the Module Manager errors with the latest version - they made some changes to it and it no longer works with my mod's MM entries - I basically exploited a bug that is no longer there. I have been trying to work on a way around it but I can't seem to get it to play ball with the kethane mod without editing the mod files manually which goes against the official mod rules. I will try and get a better version out there and then work on some other additions (such as saturn) - I've also noticed a few inconsistencies with the part names so I want to clear that up too!! This may 'break' previous versions of the kethane plus but I'll document any changes that you need to do to the persistence file if this is the case.

I should have new versions of this mod including the old version of MM which works with them any day now.

Hey, I'm using the Near Future Technologies pack, including it's patch to make nuclear engines use Hydrogen rather than LF/LOx. Would it be possible to include a patch to allow Kethane converters to convert Water(and/or possibly Kethane, considering that it's chemical composition is supposedly KH4) to Liquid Hydrogen? I may just write it myself, but I'm not exactly a ModuleManager expert...

Hey, I'm using the Near Future Technologies pack, including it's patch to make nuclear engines use Hydrogen rather than LF/LOx. Would it be possible to include a patch to allow Kethane converters to convert Water(and/or possibly Kethane, considering that it's chemical composition is supposedly KH4) to Liquid Hydrogen? I may just write it myself, but I'm not exactly a ModuleManager expert...

I see what I can do - my scripts only seem to work with an older version of modulemanager at the moment - I'm trying to upgrade them but its not playing ball - I may need to just include an old version of MM with them while I work things out

you can't have more than one MM DLL in the GameData folder at once, so you'd best post over in the MM thread to see what needs to be fixed in your configs. As far as I know the newer MM can still do everything the old one did, although some slight syntax changes may be giving you problems

you can't have more than one MM DLL in the GameData folder at once, so you'd best post over in the MM thread to see what needs to be fixed in your configs. As far as I know the newer MM can still do everything the old one did, although some slight syntax changes may be giving you problems

I'm originally using an bug exploit in MM - in the converter cfg files each resource is listed sequentially with no tags - the older version of MM if you refer to one of the resources and do no changes and then refer to the resource again it'll choose the second resource in the list. With the newer version this no longer happens - I did post in the MM thread but it was while it was pretty busy and I don't think my question was answered - I'll keep trying and see what happens as I really want to add a load more different add-ons for the different mods out there!

EDIT:

Just saw this on the new mm:

- @NODENAME,2 {} let you select the third node of that name. Be careful when you delete or add node as the index will change.

*Lightbulb* this should do it - now the challenge of tearing me away from my SSTO VTOL project to bring out the changes to Kethane Plus!!

Edited by psyper

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.