PSA: Don't Mess With 2000+ Part Ships

Redrobin

So I saw GusTurbo's old Munstrosity: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32817-0-20-Munstrosity-I-Russian-N1-LOK-LK-Lander%21?highlight=Munstrosity

And I decided, I can try to make it myself.

Bad idea.

The ship has 2098 parts and takes 5 minutes to load. After it loads, I can't add or remove any parts. It just doesn't work. So, don't mess with large part count ships. Unless you are Whackjob, then you need to tell me your secrets.

Only image Imgur wanted to upload:

7rDhVyS.png

I've run into that bug so many times... hate it. It killed my Arkingthaad Nadir Lite. I suspect it's a limitation of the parts tree hierarchy. I could be wrong. It's a best guess, that's all.

I was playing with high part counts a little (just to check the bug with them) and my only experience is: save often, load often. Right after you load the ship, it is more willing to accept further parts. I could make a working "ship" with 3000 parts this way. When you don't save/load, the ship breaks without notice and when you then save it, it's already broken.

A random though: I wonder what is the biggest ship ever built in KSP, does anyone know?

Don't know for sure, but I'll submit a contender.

a9zT1Fc.png

I was playing with high part counts a little (just to check the bug with them) and my only experience is: save often, load often. Right after you load the ship, it is more willing to accept further parts. I could make a working "ship" with 3000 parts this way. When you don't save/load, the ship breaks without notice and when you then save it, it's already broken.

I've tried incremental saves. Bug still hits eventually.

This. Part count is almost 3000 :

kPb0hwx.jpg

It never made it to LKO though, the orange tanks always snap. I have no idea how to make the structure hold the flex, the orange tanks always snap at some point.

Edited by earth

You know what? It's been ages since I last did an AEIA MkX type craft. You know.... firey wheel of doom. I've learned a heck of a lot of engineering tricks since then.

Perhaps it is time for a new one.

My biggest actual functional success:

AW58wLQ.png

Forget the part count, but the tower lander in the middle there I think was 1,200. Made it to the Mun and Duna and back again.

#EDIT: No, this is the one where I drunkenly overwrote the save to start a new career mode after I'd gotten it back into Dunal orbit. Darn it! So this don't count.

Edited by Whackjob

So I saw GusTurbo's old Munstrosity: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32817-0-20-Munstrosity-I-Russian-N1-LOK-LK-Lander%21?highlight=Munstrosity

And I decided, I can try to make it myself.

Bad idea.

The ship has 2098 parts and takes 5 minutes to load. After it loads, I can't add or remove any parts. It just doesn't work. So, don't mess with large part count ships. Unless you are Whackjob, then you need to tell me your secrets.

Only image Imgur wanted to upload:

Looking back, Munstrosity was a perfect name because it looks nothing like the N1. Yours looks great.

I've hit this bug a few times myself - the only correlation I ever saw was in ships where I abused the "symmetry of symmetry" effect (where I created a symmetrical object, then used symmetry to copy it). Might just be because the ships that I did that with were huge to begin with, I dunno.

I've run into that bug so many times... hate it. It killed my Arkingthaad Nadir Lite. I suspect it's a limitation of the parts tree hierarchy. I could be wrong. It's a best guess, that's all.

Lite? The "Lite" version had too may parts?

I think parts are just saved wherever they happened to end up in the editor, and that symmetry only has an effect during part placement.

I don't think so, otherwise you could not pick up one of a set of symmetrically placed items on an existing file you have loaded and have the editor grab the entire symmetrical set.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.