Planet files?

Nemesis1-1

You mean you can't do what you want on your own computer? Funny legislation you have there ;)

From KSP EULA

2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.

© Prohibition on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly.

You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

You are certainly excused for not knowing, not being a lawyer. But the applicable law is NOT the one in your country, but the one in the country of the seller company (Electro Chango S.A. de C.V.), therefore mexican law. And, if any controversy on the above was taken to a court, that would be a mexican court.

You are certainly excused for not knowing, not being a lawyer. But the applicable law is NOT the one in your country, but the one in the country of the seller company (Electro Chango S.A. de C.V.), therefore mexican law. And, if any controversy on the above was taken to a court, that would be a mexican court.

His point is that such laws don't forbid any of the above for personal use.

His point is that such laws don't forbid any of the above for personal use.

Granted, what you say is true (within very restricted limits) under US (DMCA) or EU ('Software Directive') law. But the point is different, in stating 'legislation you have there' means the law to be considered is the one of each user's country. And that is totally wrong.

Edited by diomedea

Granted, what you say is true (within very restricted limits) under US (DMCA) or EU ('Software Directive') law. But the point is different, in stating 'legislation you have there' means the law to be considered is the one of each user's country. And that is totally wrong.

I understand what you're saying, and my statement stands. "His point is that such laws don't forbid any of the above for personal use." You're debunking a point he never made in the first place.

And, if any controversy on the above was taken to a court, that would be a mexican court.

I think you would have a hard time trying to bring someone from Germany (like me) before a Mexican court over things like these. But as you noticed, I am not a lawyer.

I understand what you're saying, and my statement stands. "His point is that such laws don't forbid any of the above for personal use." You're debunking a point he never made in the first place.

I showed the point, and it was not the one in your statement, but the second one you are not reporting. He made it, the post above shows. If you can't see that, I can't help.

You mean you can't do what you want on your own computer? Funny legislation you have there ;)

There are actually a lot of things you are not allowed to do, no matter whether it is on you own computer or not. For example stuff like ordering a contract killing or (in the light of recent events in germany) any kind of **** involving minors.

If you made an valid/legal agreement with Squad, and I'm pretty sure you did agree to their EULA somewhere when buying or installing the game, you have to comply with it. Thus Squad could drag you to a german court and you would still loose.

You better not get caught decompiling KSP^^

Well, not exactly. Squad made the files we are talking about in a way that already expose a lot of information & functionality, including ways to remove/replace some functionality. Together with Unity's API that should be enough for most mod ideas.

But you better not get caught using a decompiler to peak behind what exactly one of those exposed methods does.

Isn't a lot of modding the game kind of decompiling it? like with far where they remove the atmosphere code and replace it?

Er, no. I made a (private) mod that replaces the functionality of some of the buttons in the VAB/SPH, so that they do something else instead. I didn't have to look at KSP's code - Visual Studio autocompletion FTW. Now is that decompiling? I think not.

decompiling code is a big conversation that I believe should but wont be had, but we're not talking about code here. The planets and thier textures are in compiled asset bundles, which exist for the express purpose of making things load faster and making it difficult for people to move those assets outside of the game as a form of content protection, and that makes things difficult. i have seen a lot of people argue that so-and-so doesnt own or cant protech the thing they made and it makes me sick some times. To me this isnt a matter of law but respect, Squad said not to touch the asset bundles, so dont touch the asset bundles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.