Cold Star - The Kerbals Venture into Space

FoxHunt

The Kerbals Reach Space

It wasn't until flying legend Jebediah Kermin first strapped a unused rocket onto a command pod that the Kerbals had thought of venturing into space. Jebediah seemed born to the task of reaching the stars, and he did so effortlessly, reaching orbit in his third attempt. It didn't take long for others to join him in his 'mad' quest, and soon the Kerbal Space Administration was born.

With the help of pals Bob and Bill Kermin, the KSA soon set its sights on reaching Kerbin's two moons; Mun and Minmus.

eia5St5.png?1

g7VDCE8.png?1

Jeb makes a safe landing in Rocket I.

YqqiS8Es.pngUYDTg7Ps.pngDlbNv6Us.png

Minmus appears to be made of mostly ice. How did it survive so close to Kerbol? Bill collects surface samples, temperature data, and tests the gravity. Bill's initial EVA is quite fun.

Bob Kermin returns to Minmus in Rocket IV, while Jeb returns to the Mun for a second time. All launches are successful and no Kerbals were lost. The Kerbal citizenry is ecstatic over the success of the space program and hunger for news of future missions. The KSA quickly throws together twin probes that will leave Kerbin's sphere of influence - Pathfinder I will attempt to land on the sister planet of Eve. Dustspitter I will attempt to land on the red planet, Duna.

Edited by FoxHunt

The PathFinder Mission

The Kerbal Space Agency's next target was Kerbin's sister planet, Eve. Kerbals had long held a fascination with the bright purple dot in the sky, and some believed it was home to a civilization similar to the Kerbals themselves. In reality, little was known about the planet.

It was decided that a probe would be sent to Eve before any manned mission. Jeb volunteered to attempt to land on the planet, but worries about radiation and Eve's gravity forced KSA engineers to over-rule Jeb and begin designing the Pathfinder probe.

DWCvoOb.png?1

The Kerbal citizenry were initially disappointed. The rocket was not pointy enough.

LqLNk6U.png

The Pathfinder's mission was simple; land on Eve and collect data from the mystery goo and Science Jr. experiments. Barometer and temperature readings would also be taken.

w8eb9SJ.png

Pathfinder enters Eve's SOI. The probe has plenty of delta V if needed. KSA Engineers examine the probes data and discovers that Eve has a small moon, soon christened Gilly.

8RmOWXy.png?1

The Kerbal citizenry fell in love with the first images of Eve. Politicians began putting plans together on their first alien contact with another species.

3cYFIMB.png

Pathfinder plunges into the atmosphere. Jeb assures Bob that those flames are normal.

TFXnfZa.png

EHp4zW9.png

Thud. The KSA is shocked when it appears Pathfinder becomes lopsided on touchdown and tips over. Attempts to right it were quickly ceased; as feared, Eve's gravity is far more intense than Kerbin's.

AJ3eRpm.png

Luckily the Pathfinder functioned normally and could receive enough sunlight to power itself. Data from Pathfinder were conclusive - Eve is a completely desolate planet. Soaring temperatures, swells of radiation, and crushing atmospheric pressure meant that a manned landing mission could not be attempted for the forseeable future. Talking heads on Kerbin argued for weeks that the probe tipped over due to not being "pointy enough."

Edited by FoxHunt

The Dustspitter Probe Tease

With a launch window to Duna opening just after the Pathfinder probe launched for Eve, a sister probe was hurriedly assembled. Bob Kermin supervised the project, and so extra boosters and red lights were added for coolness factor.

tIHiDNM.png

The Dustspitter probe launched without a hitch and was sent on its way to Duna. Like its sister before it, everything went perfectly, if you ignore the extra boosters still attached, giving the probe an absurd overabundance of Delta V.

Q1Di4hJ.png

After a few months, Dustspitter sent back images of Duna and her moon, Ike. Ike was very much like the Mun in composition, and no doubt it was formed from an asteroid or other celestrial body that smacked into Duna long, long ago.

4NVcvKQ.png

Dustspitter performed an aerobrake into Duna's atmosphere to achieve orbit, and did so without issue. However, an intercept course with Ike couldn't be avoided, and the bigwigs at KSA decided that landing on Ike was an extra bonus, since extra delta v was aboard. Bob beamed with pride due to his "forward thinking."

KSA engineers programmed Dustspitter for an Ike descent.

kRjfQ2c.png

The Dustspitter lands without problem. The Kerbals seem to be quite adept at this space business!

The probe quickly began sending back large quantities of data. However, it soon ran into a problem; data from its goo containers and science observatory could no longer be transmitted without rendering the devices inoperable. KSA now had a big decision to make.

Dustspitter spent some time collecting data on Ike, and then lifted off for Duna. It was decided that the probe's instruments were better suited for the planet, and with its extra delta v, may attempt a liftoff in the future to reset its equipment with a manned mission.

7AIVEh2.png

Again, the Kerbals all agreed that red lights were a good touch.

0L46kKt.png

yn76rN4.png

Suddenly, Dustspitter stopped responding to commands.

After some experimentation, it was noticed that none of the Dustspitter's solar panels were in direct sunlight; its batteries had run dry. Despite allowing a few orbits, it's orientation to Kerbol meant the extendable solar panel was obstructed by the extra fuel tanks. Everyone glared at Bob.

Jebediah and the rest of the engineers fiddled with commands without success; despite letting Dustspitter orbit a few times in the hopes it would recharge its batteries, it never did. Ike had claimed its first victim.

• 1 month later...

Doing Science

The KSA fired off several high profile missions in succession. First was the new Encaladus spacecraft, which would be deposited at the north pole to extract samples.

QD4kst0.png

ESGtyHJ.png

Next up for launch was the first of what should be a series of new probes, Kioneer I. Kioneer I featured several new science instruments from ScanSat Technology and DMagic Corperation, including a Magnetometer and RPWS Antenna. Kioneer I took several readings around Kerbin, and then set off to the Mun, transmitting back its findings all the while. Enough fuel was left in the transfer stage to eventually head off to Minmus. The transfer stage was left to crash on the surface, and Kioneer established a stable orbit with its RCS unit.

0EgMDbZ.png

The KSA hurriedly launched a new probe, the Kortana I. Kortana would split in two after orbiting the Mun, and a small rover would land on the surface. However, the mission was a disaster.

Jaxl6IJ.png

Kortana couldn't separate correctly from its transfer stage, and then lost the rover due to lack of balance from it's two engines (causing it to smack into Mun's surface at 500 m/s.) Kortana will collect some data while in orbit before it will eventually be de-orbited.

What mod did you use ? What is the red part for Dust Spitter ?

The red lights are simply the small red omni lights from the B9 Aerospace pack (If I remember correctly.)

The mods I've used the most so far are KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace, Mechjeb (although it isn't working since the patch), KAS, AIES, ScanSat, and DMagic's science pack. I've been experimenting with a few others, like Interstellar.

Maverick Jeb

While the Kerbals at the KSA worked hard on putting together missions to the Mun and Minmus, Jebediah was tasked with coming up with jet planes to test different designs. So far, flying planes had not been a strong suit for the KSA. It was hoped that some researched would lead to a spacecraft that could reach orbit in a single stage, or some any reusable space plane in general.

Jeb designed and tested the K-1 jet, and its variations. However, the performance was sub-optimal.

sDvGhaw.png

During a test flight, Jeb discovered an old airstrip on a nearby island.

chSJzcW.png

Jeb also found some old space junk in a neaby hangar. It was old, and there was no record of who had used it.

aLflLu6.png

Jeb designed another jet, the K-2. Different engine types and wing designs were used, but like the previous jet, it struggled to pitch up and gain altitude.

ZQcN72D.png

After some more spitballing, the KSA puts together it's first SSTO shuttle, the X-1. Despite good flight characteristics, achieving the necessary speed with the turbojet engines proved difficult. The X-1 tried to make orbit when it switched to its two T45 engines, but did not have the fuel to get much further. The attempt was aborted; Bill and Jeb were deflated by the attempt, and decided to shelve the project.

546pj8d.png

Blinded Me With Science

With the failure of the Kortana I spacecraft still robbing the Kerbals of sleep and Jeb not accomplishing much on the spaceplane front, the higher-ups at the KSA begin to put together a new science probe/rover combination, and send it back to the Mun. This would provide a better proof-of-concept regarding probes that could be used on other planets and moons.

The new spacecraft was dubbed Kolumbus I.

A more robust rover was designed, with the skycrane discarded in favor of building the ascent stage directly into the rover itself. While KSA stayed busy designing the rover, the job of designing the rocket went to KW Rocketry.

vvuohfw.png

KW put their new engine - the Vesta VR-9D - under the main stage, while a pair of boosters packed Maverick engines. The upper stage would be powered by the reliable Service Propulsion System (hereby known as the SPS.)

CSnk3CE.png

KJhG61v.png

CyxNSOl.png

Descent successful. Rover operational.

61TTava.png

DMagic Labs provides the Ablation Laser Imager, and outside of some sliding on some steep slopes, the rover works quite well. The Kolumbus orbiter transmits any data back to Kerbin, while the rover makes its way towards two detected anomalies. It's a slow journey, but worth it.

KW Rocketry's successful launch vehicle was a success, and designs are in place for more standardized lifters. KW Rocketry and AIES Aerospace was put forth competing designs. Both companies will also design and build their own version of the KSA's proposed Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle - the Miranda.

Jeb, Bill, and Bob have put aside designing space planes for a bigger project - an extensive kerballed mission to Duna.

Return to Minmus

In order to get more science from Minmus, the KSA decides that a mobile science lab in orbit would speed up the process. Four kerbals would go on the mission - two to land an Enceladus 2 lander on the moon for experiments, and two to work the science lab in orbit. Thus, KyLab I was built and catapulted into orbit with a standalone lifter using the extremely reliable 'Skipper' engine.

m8WurTT.png

Mitden and Callorf Kermin are the scientists that get to go along for a ride, and so far, they hate it. The KyLab moves into a Minmus orbit without a problem.

rBRTyLP.png

Meanwhile, Anlas and Fredbin Kermin follow up in the next launch in the new Enceladus 2lander.

5r4i7XW.png

4sEIupN.png

The Enceladus 2 will use several instruments to collect data and then head back up to KyLab, where it will reset its experiments and return to Minmus. This will keep the crew busy for quite awhile.

4QZyQvu.png

While that's going on, Jeb and Bob decide that a space station is needed. All station parts will by launched with the recently furbished Ariadne V from KW Rocketry.

IuAcOdh.png

BlFojmg.png?1

Of course, the KSA still prefers to use the Skipper engines on their heavy lifters. They've also begun to experiment with engine clusters; the main stage of the Ariadne V is the first launch vehicle to use them.

rYFkFZd.png?1

PNRPJE9.png

Here, the Kerbin Space Station already has a habitat and fuel storage section. On the far side is the new MPCV, the Miranda. After the first successful launch of the Miranda, KW Rocketry and AIES Aerospace will build their own version of the vehicle, as well as a launch vehicle for it.

Edited by FoxHunt

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking Ahead

With construction of Kerbin Space Station still the focus of recent launches, the KSA brass have started putting a plan together to get a kerballed mission to Duna, with Eve as a secondary target. Launch windows for Moho and Dres are also approaching, so plans have been drawn up to send probes at both planets.

While the best Kerbal engineers start putting forth plans for a mission to Duna, a proper science lab module for the KSS is launched with a KW Ariadne V launch system.

g8Usysi.png?1

8Wmw56Z.png?1

Main stage separation. The KW Upper stage will carry the module to the KSS without issue, and can de-orbit remotely.

Sd2WtIK.png?1

The Docking Alignment software is shown here. This is also one of the first uses of the newly researched 'Gigantor' solar panels. Larger trusses with more panels will be added in the future.

UgI4PKc.png

For those Kerbals that can afford it, they get the Space channel, which shows views of Kerbin (and sometimes floating empty snack packages) 24/7.

Once the KSS is situated, the KSA sets its sights on manufacturing the vehicle that will carry at least six Kerbalnauts to Duna. This is the Rune Duna Transfer Vehicle.

0vCClAh.png?1

The Habitat module is put into orbit first by a newly minted Rook V Heavy rocket courtesy of Kerbodyne.

gbKCGU8.png?1

A science module is added. This doubles as a lander, and will de-orbit and land by remote on the Duna surface.

d9ot1CT.png?1

A large, 3.75m Kerbodyne transfer stage, using three experimental nuclear engines, is attached to the DTV. It should have plenty of Delta V to return the crew after the mission is complete. Since the launch window for Duna is still months away, This will remain unmanned in Kerbin orbit, with a future mission sent to strut the Rune properly for its mission.

Meanwhile, late night satellite teams have picked up an old signal from near Duna. It's Dustspitter!

olZNGsp.png?1

Dustspitter managed to absorb enough sunlight to reboot its operating system. All systems are go! Orders are sent to land near the southern pole.

The Dustspitter should be able to actually save some delta v, and possibly re-position itself at a later time for even more science gathering, even after its parachutes have been used. Descent is good, parachutes deploy, and everything looks to be-

3zF61KE.png

Jebediah kicks over a water cooler in a green rage.

Probing Dres and Moho

The launch window for Moho is now open. Jebediah and his team have been ready, with the most advanced probes they've been able to design to this point. First up is the Saltpeter I, launched by a one-off AIES lifter.

SboCW5z.png?1

nJZr8CQ.png?1

gXYGotl.png?1

Saltpeter I will be pushed into a Moho encounter with its transfer stage. A secondary AIES propulsion stage can then be used to achieve a Moho orbit. Saltpeter will then gather scientific data on Moho's gravity, magnetic field, etc.

Not longer after, AIES Aerospace launch yet another spacecraft, Saltpeter II.

wdHzjkJ.png?1

nhcMwEO.png?1

K8tYG9f.png

Saltpeter II will actually attempt to land on Moho.

The next target is Dres. The Kerbals know little about the planet, and spotting it in the night sky is considered a bad omen among the citizens. Still, investigating the planet is a high priority, so the Temstar I is launched with an AIES fabricated Ariadne I launch system.

yPlRM7E.png?1

gQu4xjV.png?1

The Ariadne I is a throwback to smaller rockets designed just for small probes. While this one is built by AIES Aerospace, later versions will be manufactured solely by KW Rocketry.

gSin1XK.png?1

my9oLAo.png

Here, Temstar I is on its way out of the Kerbin system.

Last but not least, the Nephf I is launched.

ltEeOoD.png?1

This one-off Kerbodyne rocket is a 3 stage design, something the Kerbals haven't experimented with much.

n9gTISN.png?1

qqn1HM0.png?1

c1OVt8O.png

The Nephf I is actually two probes in one; the orbiter will maintain a Dres orbit, while the secondary probe will attempt landing, run several scientific experiments, lift off, and try to return to Kerbin orbit, where a future mission will intercept it and remove its science data. If the lander cannot get back to Kerbin, it will remain in orbit and await a a kerballed mission to reach it.

However, engineers at KSA already have detected a problem for its probes heading to Dres...

• 3 weeks later...

Fly Me To The Mun

More science of the Mun is needed. Several new designs will be tested during the mission. Thompbert, Diller, and Roely Kermin have been selected to carry out this project.

First, the new Miranda MPCV is launched, using the finalized version of the Miranda Launch System.

9Pl6q6Q.png?1

qWZx69p.png?1

Later, the newest Mun lander, the Vagabond, is launched atop a Kerbodyne rocket. Once docked to the Miranda, its transfer stage will propel the Kerbonauts to the Mun.

R1PDh49.png?1

8OrAM7C.png?1

MI9yaLl.png?1

Roely Kermin remains in the Miranda in orbit, while Commander Thompbert and Vagabond pilot Diller Kermin land safely on the surface.

zc7UiNH.png?1

The Kerbals attempt to land in several locations, and collect varied samples from the surface.

LZQi7LR.png

Finished, Thompbert Kermin jets to the top of the lander and gazes toward home. The team will ascend to orbit, dock with the Miranda, and then detach the lander before heading to Kerbin.

Back in Kerbin orbit, final modifications are being made to the Rune DTV. Bob Kermin is overseeing the modifications himself, helped by Anlas Kermin.

TTUqKBS.png?1

Several strut sections are needed to make the Rune stable for transfer burn. Although tedious work, Anlas doesn't mind.

rg6ZBrq.png?1

nEw6oQA.png?1

sPt278y.png?1

nBkZVWp.png?1

Once finished, the Kerbonauts will re-enter the Kerbin atmosphere with a Miranda MPCV. The crew of the Rune is not yet finalized and will remain uncrewed until the Duna transfer window. There's still time for one more mission.

Jebediah is a Steely Eyed Missile Kerbal

Various warning sirens alert the Kerbals at the KSA that a problem as developed near the KSS station; a spent Ariadne I booster in orbit around Kerbin is on an intercept orbit, and will strike the station unless something is done. It's a dangerous mission; Jebediah and Bob Kermin decide to handle this personally.

Jeb wants to use the X-1 shuttle. He wants to strap it to boosters and a large fuel tank. He wants to modify it with engines that have never been tested. He doesn't have time to test any of the components.

9Vvl09n.png

Thus, the launch of the first Kerbal Space Shuttle, hereby designated Arya.

amDAZht.png?1

HR1B7QL.png

Jeb and Bob run into a severe problem rather quickly; one of the spent SRB's struck the right wing elevator. returning to Kerbin is going to be a significant problem.

Jeb will have to worry about that later. For now, they approach the spent booster stage...

pZE25gG.png?1

es6zxwG.png?1

It's up to Bob Kermin to attach the probe core. Some fuel will be transferred as well, and the stage will remotely de-orbit under its own power.

5rzCqmG.png?1

Careful Bob; that booster is awfully close.

n0iQOoT.png?1

71Ktu0s.png?1

L9C0TFP.png?1

Once completed, the booster is able to stay on course enough to reach a suborbital trajectory. Jeb and Bob now have a decision to make; try to return and land in the Arya, or head to the KSS, transfer to the station, and allow the shuttle to re-enter the atmosphere by remote.

brg5h6l.png?1

Jeb opts to pilot in himself. The shuttle fights violently, and Jeb can barely control it; this will have to be a water landing. Bob notices that they are approaching way too fast.

Jeb engages the air brakes and uses the rest of his RCS monopropellant to keep his nose up - speed below 100 m/s! This is gonna hurt!

YI10SMy.png

ui82Hx6.png

Jeb wins another staring contest with Death. The shuttle is destroyed; Bob will be catatonic for a few days.

The Big Duna

The Duna launch window is now open. Everything the Kerbal Space Agency has been working towards the last few months begins now.

It is decided that the entire Duna mission architecture should have a code name. Bob suggests "Konstellation". Bill suggests "Hyper Rainbow Gunfire". There's a vote, and Bill's suggestion wins.

The Hyper Rainbow Gunfire Program will consist of the following:

Support - two satellites will orbit Duna to provide communications, mapping of the surface, discover kethane deposits, and detection of various anomalies. A Duna Science Rover will also land on another part of Duna to conduct more experiments.

Duna Ascent Vehicle - Will be sent to Duna unkerballed, will land, produce its own kethane/oxygen fuel, and transport the crew back to the Duna Transfer Vehicle.

Duna Habitat Lander - Will carry the crew to the surface. Living quarters, science equipment, and two rovers will round out its cargo.

Duna Trasfer Vehicle - The Rune, already in orbit and waiting for a crew. Will carry the crew to and from Duna. Also contains the Science Lander, which will be left on Duna next to the DHL.

The crew for this mission has been decided, and will consist of five Kerbonauts. Originally six were going to be sent, but Jeb and Bob did not like the idea of leaving one Kerbal in the DTV to stay in orbit for such a long period of time. Five will land on Duna, and five will return. The Kerbals will specialize in no specific task; each is trained to pilot, do research, render medical aid, and carry out engineering or repair.

Thompbert Kermin - The recent mission commander on the Miranda/Vagabond mission, and he will command this one. Thompbert is neither the smartest nor the most courageous, but can best be described as 'steady'.

Fredbin Kermin - Recently returned from the KyLab I orbiting Minmus. Made several landings and EVAs on the moon. One of KSA's most experienced kerbonauts.

Roely Kermin - Piloted the Miranda MPCV on the Miranda/Vagabond Mun mission. Low stupidity score (Kerbal engineers still argue whether that's good or bad).

Genegun Kermin - Rookie kerbonaut. Low courage and stupidity scores.

Dooly Kermin - Rookie kerbonaut. Extremely high stupidity score and low courage score. Is this good or bad? KSA engineers think that if he can work the Rune's space toilet, he's ready for space.

First up, the most important piece of the mission; the Duna Ascent Vehicle. Several versions were tried, including this early model from Rockomax -

oY5A5VE.png

This design was considered too complicated, and there was much effort given to fit it into the newly researched 3.75m fairing base. However, B9 Aerospace submitted a design late that was simple and efficient. This design was designated the IDan DAV.

ogrlp86.png

The IDan is carried to orbit by the newer version of the Rook IV Heavy launch system.

MLTozsh.png?1

Next, the Duna Science Rover, also called simply "Biscuit" is launched. Biscuit is launched on a KW Rocketry vehicle with Kerbodyne SRBs.

5zYATbo.png

9thO2ja.png?1

The next launch is the Duna Surveyor, which consists of two satellites that will assist the mission and collect science data. They are launched together on AIES Aerospace's new Fulcrum 9 Heavy lifter, which consists of three Fulcrum 9 stages.

uj29w20.png

Cg4htip.png?1

qEvETBt.png?1

LF561Rl.png?1

jsDUXnS.png?1

A newly designed Duna MultiDuty Rover (MDR) is launched, due to the previous rover belonging to an older version of the DAV. It is decided that this new rover will be launched separately and land under its own skycrane, while being transported to Duna via the Rune.

The Duna MDR is launched on a AIES Fulcrum 9 rocket.

NDZuBFj.png

RLtnALW.png?1

eZ4VQcW.png?1

The Duna Habitat Lander, designated the Katateochi, is launched a few days later on a Rook IV Heavy.

JPAgjGL.png

When the Kerbodyne boosters try to separate, disaster.

523vKL2.png

CxQs80U.png

The booster collides with the main stage engine, destroying it. The lander cannot reach orbit, and is lost on re-entry. Thankfully, no kerbals were aboard. This is the most significant failure in all of the Kerbal space program. Jeb, Bob, and Bill are forced to endure hearings, trials, and general name-calling after the accident. It was finally decided that the catastrophe was due to a jelly donut being left on one of the booster's separatrons, clogging it with jelly goodness, and pushing it the wrong direction. A new Katateochi was hastily built and launched. So far, there are no leaks.

wtRIFGH.png?1

3Ne5bYZ.png?1

FbCUu7x.png?1

The last launch itself is the Miranda Crew Vehicle. This one launches on the standard launch vehicle, but is designed to carry five kerbals instead of three, and now consists of a handy Launch Escape System.

dH90nHm.png

dHpdNuL.png?1

QzARocV.png?1

xOVfWO2.png

The MPCV proceeds to dock with the nearby Rune DTV.

SdP2jmO.png?1

dIh9Cx3.png?1

Everything is set. All mission craft have burned for Duna. Now, the Rune shoots for Duna with two separate, 7 minute burns. Some fine tuning and a light touch is needed at times to prevent shaking, but overall the Rune performs fine, and is left with plenty of fuel; aerobraking may not be necessary.

CYu7gWi.png

Now comes 200 days until Duna intercept.

• 4 months later...

Bad Moho Rising

While much attention has been paid to the progress of the Duna mission, an incoming signal grabs the attention of KSA control; Saltpeter II has arrived at Moho, and is positioning itself to make its burn for capture.

1bYDTEo.png?1

WhzIMG0.png?1

Moho, imaged up close, for the first time. Is there enough Delta V available for capture?

F811Ewy.png?1

Saltpeter II begins its burn. The AIES secondary stage is completely used; It will have to be jettisoned early to achieve orbit; the probe will have to use the fuel reserved for landing to accomplish this.

gE65vV1.png?1

3cp4YW2.png?1

Orbit is achieved, and KSA control erupts in cheers. A few days later, Saltpeter I achieves orbit. Bob Kerman can't help but smile.

5fZmf22.png?1

Commands are sent to Saltpeter II to begin landing operations. The inclination of its orbit will force it to land on the dark side of the planet, but the probe sports quite a few lights; this shouldn't be too hard.

EqVYemf.png

nMWvaJc.png?1

And then, nothing.

The last data received from the probe shows that it was at full burn in an attempt to slow down on it's final approach to the surface. The entire KSA team, and Bob especially, just have to confront the fact that they misjudged the distance to the surface, and the probe was unable to slow down in time. Impact was at a high enough velocity to completely destroy the probe.

It is a heartbreaking failure, with only the data sent back from the Saltpeter I to provide comfort. Magnetometer and RPWS scans show that Moho has very little magnetic field, while the planet itself seems to be geologically dead. Multispectral scans are underway, mapping Moho's surface and it's various biomes, while Saltpeter I awaits a signal from its lost brother.

Edited by FoxHunt

• 2 weeks later...

A Red Mystery

Finally, the Kerbal expedition to Duna has arrived. First, the iDan DAV attempts aerobraking into Duna's thin atmosphere.

NjPSk2Q.png

A month and a half later, the Duna Surveyor arrives at Duna. It has enough fuel to bypass aerobraking, and looking for a landing location for the crew. It will also find kethane deposits the DAV will need to make its kethane/oxygen fuel. Here, Duna Surveyor A has separated, and will begin detecting kethane.

omLpkpl.png

cgWNvts.png

Duna Surveyor B will begin mapping the surface, identifying surface features, biomes, and any anomalies. It also studies the magnetic field of Duna, which appears to be extremely weak here.

The next craft to arrive is the Biscuit Rover. It isn't looking for a landing site; instead it will study the surface on the other side of the planet. It is capable of searching for the previous existence of life here; the Kerbals are keen on learning if Duna ever harbored any creatures of its own.

vkbOzDH.png

55UNe3A.png

Biscuit ditches it's transfer stage.

bY9U9AF.png

xalX9o7.png

A single parachute is deployed. The heatshield/fairing has been jettisoned.

kJ9kDH1.png

The landing is extremely rough. Biscuit survives and radios back to the KSA; some wheels are damaged, but Biscuit is able to move around, and use it's bio drill to examine the soil for microbes.

V2XDcAi.png

Bill Kermin points out a large rock for Biscuit to examine. Commencing Science! While Biscuit keeps scientists at the KSA occupied, the Rune Duna Transfer Vehicle arrives.

Cqd3EJo.png

qdkrTDB.png

The Katateochi lander arrives not long after. The Rune intercepts it, and our intrepid kerbonauts EVA to board it.

iWCyhMp.png

A landing site has been chosen. The Katateochi will land first. Thompbert Kermin is at the controls as the lander ditches its transfer stage, and maneuvers its heatshield.

vhcc54P.png

Landing goes without a hitch. Plenty of fuel and parachutes. The 'CoffeeCan' rover can be seen in front.

Roely Kermin pops out of the hatch first. Seems pretty excited! First Kerbal on Duna! Ike is in the background, acting all jealous.

m41OMIJ.png

Back in orbit, Genegun and Dooly Kermin board the Science Lander, and separate it from Rune.

rMbzsmV.png

Down they go.

XWbeluG.png

Next is the MultiDuty Pressurized Rover, and its skycrane.

NFgsEP2.png

mQz2CCJ.png

o4zvZ7W.png

The MPR lands about 10km away, but is automated, so it begins to head toward the rest of the expedition.

sLmzR0h.png

It also checks for life with the bio drill from time to time.

qsPh6rw.png

With everything else landing safely, and the Rune on autopilot in orbit, the iDan descends next.

kRfhyfu.png

Once landed, it "hops" closer to the habitat lander, and begins making its kethane/oxygen fuel. It will continue to do so until the crew is ready to depart.

V1YNTVF.png

Time to Science! Much needs to be done. First, the 'CoffeeCan' Rover is released, to begin materials study of the surrounding region.

nEbyp9n.png

Katateochi's cargo bay is opened, and Roely Kermin releases a second rover, the 'Breadbox', that unfortunately isn't shown. Roely then begins to unload some cargo. The two rovers will collect science data from the landscape and report back to the Science Lander. Meanwhile, the crew will collect surface samples and tend to other duties. This will take several months of work, but the crew doesn't mind staying busy. Stop loafing, Roely!

Building Up To Orbit

Getting back to orbit cheaply has been on Jebediah's mind for the last few months. He's constantly battling with the KSA brass over funds, which mostly go to Bill Kermin's various probe missions. Jeb's first working Single Stage to Orbit plane was this Aeris 2A prototype.

m1ARQLZ.png

With a successful landing, Jeb went about building a better spaceplane, capable of carrying cargo to orbit. Approval was given to take up the first Solar Array Truss to the KSS. Jeb rolls out his StarDiver prototype.

y3vw9hA.png

bgJ87UF.png

hkt3PeI.png

cTl84Dm.png

TIHcxbP.png

The StarDiver intercepted the KSS and delivered the Solar Array Truss without a hitch. However, problems developed while attempting to return to Kerbin. The shuttle was simply uncontrollable, and Jeb was again forced to ditch in the ocean. He was uninjured.

Undaunted, Jeb began building the vehicle that would be the mainstay of his fleet. He poured his remaining funds into the project, and convinced the KSA brass that a returnable shuttle would be cheaper than the various rockets they were subcontracting. Jeb worked with B9 Aerospace's new SABRE engines, and unveiled the CS-1 StarDiver.

eIdHqNp.png

ZsRGtyB.png

Enough fuel is left to reach a 200x200km orbit. The payload is prepared and released - a new orbital telescope that will help the Kerbal Space Agency peer into the solar system and beyond. The Kerbal Deep Space Observatory.

JvWTz0x.png

AGLyBJe.png

OckCKRE.png

The DSO was able to take some stunning pictures. Here's one of the Mun.

N1NcFYk.png

With the mission completed, Jeb attempts to set course for a landing at the KSC. However, the extended orbit necessary for the DSO leaves the StarDiver with little fuel left. Returning to Kerbin isn't a problem, but this will be an emergency landing.

EK1Vy1c.png

Jeb is forced to land at the continent beyond the KSC, and it's a bit rough. Some flaps and an engine are broken, but otherwise, landing was successful and no one was harmed. On the plus side, the flight characteristics were really good, unlike the prototype. This StarDiver will be tweaked, and put into service. CS-1 is now StarDiver Shuttle Caladan.

Meanwhile, the DSO snaps pictures of the Kerbals' next target.

Hfz7aw9.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Beta Fail

(It's been a long hiatus from KSP for me, due to things like extra work, health issues, kids, etc. I happen to recently see that .90 Beta came about, was eager to give it a try. Maybe too eager. Steam apparently uploaded automatically, and I tried to update the mods as best I could. However, I did something wrong apparently; Many of my launches didn't load; possibly due to my overuse of B9's tiny colored lights. The gave apparently saved its status in this manner, so that even though I tried to reload the game, nothing got better. Several boffins died. I decided to trudge on with the save as is rather than start over.)

And just like that, it all fell apart.

Everything was going swimmingly for our little team of Kerbals at the KSA. The team of Jeb, Bill, and Bob had decided on several contract missions to further their science technology, and also had worked around some extreme budget issues. The launch of the StarDiver shuttles was expensive, and not much could be done while one was in orbit. A new station was drawn up, and plans to move the old Kerbal Space Station needed to be carried out. Spacecraft were designed and built to send to Jool and Eeloo, two planets that the Kerbals knew little about. Brotoro I was launched toward Jool, on a modified Fulcrum 9 rocket.

a6A5Mra.png?1

BcR8c57.png

Brotoro I is the first probe equipped with new Ion engine technology. It will attempt to explore the entire Joolian system.

Problems really started cropping up when the KSA launched the Nelph II toward Eeloo. This expensive KW Rocketry launch vehicle officially "broke" the launchpad.

jox7hbS.png

LVmEK21.png

2WoV1tj.png

Nelph II was of the same design as the predecessor, and would also attempt to return to Kerbin with samples of Eeloo.

While the repair of the launchpad were underway, serious discussions and meetings were had about the need for a cost-effective way to put big things into space, especially if the Kerbals wanted a new space station. The old station was already being pulled apart and transported to the Mun via Miranda spacecraft:

vdnOHVV.png?1

uSJ6PGQ.png?1

SfLtsJy.png?1

It has been renamed the Majorjim Space Station.

A few engineers hit upon a designed lifter vehicle that was neither a spaceplane nor a rocket, but combined elements of both. It had the lift capacity to haul heavy space station modules to orbit, and land back on Kerbin and be recovered. Thus, the Manley Automated Lifter Vehicle was born.

uCaH4cb.png

Here, the MALV puts the first station module, the Karya, into orbit.

QPhUuqI.png

6dkJ7i2.png

From there, everything was coming up roses for Kerbal-kind. The MALV and StarDiver shuttle lifted several Kerbin Space Station modules into orbit.

eIwDShO.png

yU45VJw.png

The Type 3 Emergency Escape Vehicle would remain on hand to remove any crewmembers if disaster struck.

A modified Miranda spacecraft was constructed with the new grappler technology to intercept an asteroid, and put it into orbit around Kerbin:

B1Ptbh6.png?1

FkJZjIS.png?1

BjdVvPt.png?1

XgVt1ZY.png?1

Last but not least, a new contract was taken to inspect an anomaly on Minmus that had been picked up by Kylab I. Investigator I was launched on the now-standard MALV.

JJWqQCT.png?1

ryaJLuF.png?1

unyB7j0.png?1

Success! What is it? Dibs!

Around about this time, KSA engineers decided to upload their new, spectacular 'Beta' software into all of their flight computers. What ensued was anything but hilarity.

Phoenix

So what happened?

Maybe it was the new .90 Beta software uploaded to several probes and spacecraft that caused them to malfunction and disappear. The new Brotoro I, both Saltpeter and Temstar probes, the two Duna Surveyor spacecraft, and the Nelph I Orbiter no longer responded to commands from KSA.

A massive solar flare from Kerbol may have been the main culprit. Majorjim Station was nowhere to be found, and even the Miranda 3A that was grappled to an asteroid disappeared. Kerbal scientists were horrified to find that the Rune DTV was no longer in orbit.

Then there was the massive Duna sandstorm that all but wiped out the Duna mission. The iDan DAV, the Katateochi Habitat Lander, and all rovers were destroyed. Only the Science Lander survived, where Fredbin and Roely Kermin were able to seek shelter to survive.

In all, 8 Kerbals were unaccounted for, and presumed KIA:

Bill Kerman

Anlas Kerman

Shelfurt Kerman

Thompbert Kerman

Dooly Kermin

Gus Kermin

Diller Kermin

Genegun Kermin

Memorials were held for weeks to honor the fallen Kerbal astronauts, although there were several in the pseudo-scientists community that thinks their disappearance is either a cover-up for a military operation, proof that Kerbals never reached space at all, or a jelly donut.

Meanwhile, Roely and Fredbin Kermin were able to get a message back to Kerbin. A rescue mission would be necessary.

56ZbWmD.png

Roely has a moment of silence for his fallen comrades.

I'm sorry that I've only just now seen this thread. Really nice craft and missions and I'm honoured that one of the Duna landers bore my name! Very cool Sir, +1

LOL! As have I! Thank you for naming the station after me! I am very happy to hear you did!

I'm sorry to hear about your Kerbal losses too..

MJ

Thank you for the replies.

I'm terrible with naming things, so I've hit on the idea of naming crafts after those on the KSP boards that inspire me. Or at the least, the names that have stuck in my head.

As for my poor lost Kerbals, I thought of reviving them, but at least this gives me an excuse to plan a rescue mission.

The Aerospace Race

After a certain period of snack-rationing and various threats of huge asteroids hurtling toward Kerbin appeared to be less than true, the Kerbal Space Agency received some grants, government funding, and heart-shaped cookies. Jeb and Bob decided to get back to work. It's what Bill would have wanted.

Both did so in entirely different ways, but with the understanding that many of the old designs they had relied upon couldn't be used. The Rockomax built MALV had fallen out of favor with Bob, due to long times to orbit and the constant attention needed for its flight profile. The recent fall out from the lost space missions caused Kerbodyne to pull many of it's 3.75m parts, and its entire line of Rook launch vehicles. Meanwhile, Jeb had several disagreements with B9 Aerospace over the cost of its various SSTO's and shuttles. He told them their services wouldn't be needed for the forseeable future.

Bob's steady relationship with AIES Aerospace over the years was hard to top. Kerbal engineers got together, threw snacks at the walls, and connected the cheesy mess that was left over with crayon. They eventually came up with this:

OLzIkHF.png

The Beta software had rendered their Fulcrum 9 launch vehicles useless, so Bob decided to improve the design while adding an extra layer of cost effectiveness; the vehicle would be entirely reusable. All stages would land and be recoverable. The Fulcrum 11 was born.

h0OwhnD.png?1

The Fulcrum 11's main purpose is to get crew to and from the Kerbal Space Station. Replacing the Miranda spacecraft is a more modest successor, Rhea. Some differences were made to the main stage -8 Constellation 06 engines were mounted radially while a single Vulcan VR1 sat in the middle. Later versions of the Fulcrum 11 would use 9 Constellation engines.

Was this more effective and efficient than the previous version's main engine, the Mogul 1500? Who knows? It gets to space.

IMJNYr2.png?1

cqOobGe.png?1

Once the main stage was jettisoned, the Rhea spacecraft was powered to orbit by a secondary stage with a single Orbit II engine.

QUjHqqZ.png

After separation from the secondary stage, the Rhea was powered by RCS only, although later designs fiddled with adding some small radial engines.

zu00ENY.png?1

tEHMOMM.png?1

Once the Rhea was in orbit, the main stage was controlled, and used RCS to change its orientation. Parachutes would slow it down, and then a small amount of fuel left for the single Vulcan engine would slow it further until it splashed into the ocean gently. Once the main stage was recovered, the secondary stage could be brought back to the launch pad, where it was retrieved in the same fashion. The Rhea would later drop off it's crew members, any cargo it may have had, and then fired its RCS thrusters retrograde to get back into the atmosphere. It would land with normal parachutes; unlike the Miranda or the EEV's, a service module is not jettisoned.

Meanwhile, Jeb was not to be left out. He need a small shuttle that was easy to fly, reusable, and cheap. Rather than spend countless weeks trying to iron out yet another SSTO, he turned to relative newcomer C7 Aerospace. C7 engineers convinced Jeb to try a design they had already been in the works since they introduced their new mk2 shuttle parts:

OvNZIt9.png

Jeb loved it almost immediately. He decided that to power this new shuttle, he would use a castoff Ariadne II main stage from KW Rocketry. He then added components to make the main stage recoverable. The solid boosters would be jettisoned and lost, but the KW Maverick engine could get the rest to orbit, and be recovered in much the same fashion that AIES Aerospace was recovering their Fulcrum stages.

NE3Rnlh.png

Jeb took no chances; the first launch of the Andromeda shuttle had no crew aboard. This turned out to be a wise decision; the shuttle lost control on final approach, fell short of the runway and exploded.

Jeb changed the flaps around and tried again, making sure it could pitch up and be controlled. Again, no crew in this launch...

Dn6DB3L.png?1

NpCiEir.png?1

This time, the shuttle landed flawlessly, even though night landings were throught by most Kerbal engineers to be cursed.

Jeb made several variants; a cargo hold was added to one, a passenger section added to another, and yet another was fitted with ion engines and put into orbit:

euuRG6n.png?1

A rare mis-step for C7 Aerospace. The less said about that one, the better. It did manage to land safely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.