Unity Export Model

No. AFAIK KSP didn't support "smoothing groups" (or whatever the name is in any 3D program) anyway.

Using 3dsmax, which automatically smooth primitives, I even uncheck the smoothing while or after modelling, doing so, I have a good idea how it'll look in game and decide how many faces I decide to use (I don't think blindly following guidelines about size/faces numbers was a good thing to do).

Hope this help.

You need to set the shading type (smooth/flat) in Blender before going to Unity

Also I've noticed that in the latest versions of Blender/Unity, you need to set the shading and save while in Object mode or Unity will not accept the .blend (do not save in Edit mode before importing)

Unfortunately this now seems to mean you will need to set>shade smooth for a whole mesh at a time because of Object mode

Maybe you can Object Mode > Set shading for the majority then go back to Edit Mode and set shading for specific selected faces with [space]>Shade Smooth/Flat as required

But mostly, remember to save while in Object mode

Edited by NoMrBond

That Blender/Unity thing is new with 2.69/4.3.3 (I think it was the Blender upgrade but since I was total reinstalling at the time I can't be sure), it wasn't that fiddly before then and there may have been some* swearing after updating until I worked out the necessary states

*Just a bit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.