How I land planes in KSP

jdsutton

Landing is simpler for me.

The hardest part? Takeoff. 9 out of 10 times the plane wobbles like jelly and spins out of control off the runway. That landing gear hates me.

Heh, my only problem with landing planes is that I often go just too fast. So either my plane crashes at the floor at high speeds and breaks apart, or I manage to touch the ground, but my airplane is still going so fast it's brakes are not helping and I have to do an emergency re-takeoff because it went past the strip and into a cliff.

I see I'm not the only bad pilot on Kerbin :cool:

In order to land safely, you need to slowdown you plane (of course !!), in KSP, you can cut the jet engine(s) off 1-2 kms from your landing spot if you are high enough (>800 m above actual ground level), rise the nose, let the plane moves down, and make the wheel contact (don't forget to lower landing gears !) at 60-70 ms/s max, not too much nose up (or bye bye tail engine(s) !) then use brakes, more or less hard, depending on plane weight, shape and balance.

In fact, a big miss is the airbrakes FireSpitter provides, you can always add FS part to other planes, it may help.

RealChute's drag parachutes are also great when deployed before touchdown.

landing isnt hard at all if the ground is flat enough

aka, always land on the runway.

and to achieve this spare like ~30units of liquid fuel at least so that you can fly yourself back home if your descend is not exactly close enough.

I'm pretty good if the aircraft is good, helps to have 100s of hours in flight simulators and flight is my passion :P

...I WANT CROSSWINDS! Yeaa that would make it so much harder and fun!

May I second that? I can land with no problem. Stopping is another story with KSP's brakes.

ITZkper.gif

Landing is fun but stuff can go wrong really fast. Wind only makes it even more fun, specially crosswind or an emergency tailwind landing. Some days ago I caught a downwards (is that the word?) current right at the beginning of the runway and it made my IRL R/C plane hit the ground nose first, thanks to the wonders of kevlar and carbon fiber nothing really broke "hard".

Most of my spaceplane landings have been on the wrong continent. I've only once returned from orbit and landed on the runway. I did have to turn around and cross a fairly large amount of ocean after i was back in the atmosphere. I found it very easy landing on the runway compared to landing on lumpy plain or in the desert.

I did once land a small test plane on the side of a mountain, and I mean a near-vertical cliff, I had just a couple of parachutes that were supposed to be for braking to help, but this was not a parachute decent, I was in fact travelling upwards from the base of the cliff at the time. I didn't get a picture of it landed, as it only stayed on the cliff for about 5 seconds before tubling to it's destruction. Just long enough for the pilot to jump out, surviving a rather long slide...

Here's the pic from about 5 seconds before touchdown..

http://i.imgur.com/0hJJjyt.png

not KSP, but my brother did that in GTA5 haha

0_0.jpg

we had picked up 2 random other kids who were playing, and they were FREAKING out over the mics, and called my bro "the god of planes" haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.