Debris - Community Care Factor Poll

AlexinTokyo

What do you do about space debris?  

1. 1. What do you do about space debris?

• Prevention is better than cure - always design to leave no orbital debris.
    • I need a cleanup crew here, stat! - deorbit debris on cleanup missions.
    • All Kerbaltech is rigged with high explosives - terminate it from the tracking station.
    • Kessler? Never heard of him - don't care about it
    • Can I choose 'None of the above?' - something else, tell us what in a post if you care to.

I design to return debris as a BEST PRACTICE, unless impractical to do so. SO, I do have SOME debris floating about. And this is OK, it adds some realism to the experience. I am just glad that debris gets filtered out in the map view with the newer versions so selecting your ship is much easier than old version. With all that said, I HOPE someday I collide with a piece of debris, really. Not only for realism (like adding a real flaw variable to the sim), but because the odds of doing so are low.

Note, I do NOT allow debris near my docking targets, ever.

I use a lot of SSTO's (rocket ones usually) when I can to launch things into orbit, which prevents a lot of debris (they're fully recoverable). But when I don't I will usually under or overfuel my rockets; under fuelling will mean the rocket doesn't make a full orbit, so I use a bit of fuel from the transfer stage to finish circularising, leaving the launch stage to burn up due to too low PE; over fuelling I only use in my circularising stages (usually LV-T30's) for Mun/ Minmus rockets, so the upper stage can do the transfer, but I will make it so the upper stage will crash into the moon when used...

With interplanetary stages I will make sure they crash into the planet I'm transferring to, but in the end I'm not super fussy about debris, so some I just leave... I currently have 6 pieces if debris in random orbits in my main save, and I have no plan to go get them... :P

I either put my space junk in a graveyard orbit (as is standard procedure irl) or, for dead fuel tanks I use the claw to drag it down to Kerbin (as the ESA is planning to do in future) both methods work fairly well. And I am not a weakling - maximum debris persistance!!!

Well I try to prevent the debris, but sometimes it is unavoidable AND it adds lots of realism:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Debris-GEO1280.jpg

lol :) Dude, thats just scary there. How much does that hurt performance? How about loading times? Or do you have so many addons that you cant tell? Has anything ever hit anything else that you know of? Your answers may convince me to not delete anything from here on. I wonder if any asteriods ever took anything in orbit out or not. As often as they hit, I would be surprised or maybe since its all on rails, that dont happen. Pretty impressive in any case.

lol :) Dude, thats just scary there. How much does that hurt performance? How about loading times? Or do you have so many addons that you cant tell? Has anything ever hit anything else that you know of? Your answers may convince me to not delete anything from here on. I wonder if any asteriods ever took anything in orbit out or not. As often as they hit, I would be surprised or maybe since its all on rails, that dont happen. Pretty impressive in any case.

That's not a KSP screenshot, that's a plot of the actual debris in orbit around Earth.

I like leaving it in orbit - gives me something to see out in space, makes it feel lived-in. Quite often I can tell what it was from based on its trajectory. (Oh, it's the stack separator from that lander OR Oh, that's a spent Mun shot stage..)

I don't care about debris. I do not avoid or product it intentionally, but I adjust debris amount to several hundreds and feel it nice to see after a long play what there is. Probability to hit something is negligible low, even if you have hundreds of pieces on low Kerbin orbits, and if collision happened, I would be very happy that there is some nice user independent action in game.

I choosed the last alternative in poll, because there is not real Kessler effect in KSP. It means that large pieces collide to each other and shatter to millions very small particles. That would be dangerous to have few millions of debris particles on low orbit above Kerbin, but few thousands is nothing.

Actually rigging everything with explosives would get you to Kessler the fastest - in reality at least. :wink:

I usually try to leave the last stage in a suborbital trajectory and finish orbit with whatever comes next.

Orbits crossing the atmosphere get deleted manually, as these debris parts would go down after a while in reality.

If the last stage is till to well fueled to waste and it is a mission leaving Kerbin, the debris gets either targeted at a moon or is left in a Kerbol orbit.

In one save I specifically tried to litter my orbit as much as possible and I am still notorious for leaving landers behind in orbit above the planet/moon I visited with them.

Performanceloss will let me delete stuff time and again though.

I tested a orbit with a 69760 metre Lower part I can't spell and after 24 days in game time it was deorbited in carreer mode.

But I always leave a tenth of the fuel left and parachutes and probe cores on every stage that makes it into orbit :cool:

I design my rockets so that earlier stages reenter the atmosphere no matter what and booster/orbital insertion stages can deorbit themselves. There are a few missions I've ran in recent months that leave some debris but there's usually and consistently nothing in orbit that isn't supposed to be there.

EUwjJDP.png

I used to not care about debris. That was before Jeb became Ms. Bullock .

LwWLr8R.png

Normal day on EVA with Intrepid, deploying a sat, EVA record, etc.

Then, right smack dab in the middle of the EVA record...

pv4WAqf.png

I just had a Gravity. (inception music pl0x)

Now, I still don't really care about debris I left up there, but I try not to make any more. I made stages that had probe cores so I could control their descent. And my SSTO is retired after 5 fatalities at landing. I put my stations at 150km-300km orbits, close enough for easy transfers, far enough from the debris belt. The previous station could have been hit so I deorbited it. Anything can be left in the debris belt, but 150km-300km up, every stage must burn burn burn.

http://i.imgur.com/EUwjJDP.png

I used to not care about debris. That was before Jeb became Ms. Bullock .

http://i.imgur.com/LwWLr8R.png

Normal day on EVA with Intrepid, deploying a sat, EVA record, etc.

Then, right smack dab in the middle of the EVA record...

http://i.imgur.com/pv4WAqf.png

I just had a Gravity. (inception music pl0x)

Now, I still don't really care about debris I left up there, but I try not to make any more. I made stages that had probe cores so I could control their descent. And my SSTO is retired after 5 fatalities at landing. I put my stations at 150km-300km orbits, close enough for easy transfers, far enough from the debris belt. The previous station could have been hit so I deorbited it. Anything can be left in the debris belt, but 150km-300km up, every stage must burn burn burn.

"just had a Gravity"

What ? What does that mean? Did the debris fly-by or crash into your Kerbal? I'm interested.

I usually don't care much about Debris. Terminating it from the tracking station only removes it from the TS (tracking station), doesn't it? Or does it destroy the vessel? Cause that would be a bit cheaty. Can somebody tell me?

"just had a Gravity"

What ? What does that mean?

Reference to Sandra Bullock / George Clooney film 'Gravity', where orbital debris hits a space station and hilarity ensues.

Terminating it from the tracking station only removes it from the TS (tracking station), doesn't it? Or does it destroy the vessel? Cause that would be a bit cheaty. Can somebody tell me?

It actually deletes it from the game, it doesn't just stop tracking it.

Hi,

I think it's kind of a learning curve. At first I left stuff up there, now I try to design in such a way that debris either falls back to Kerbin on its own or is able doing a deorbit burn. Recently I started making my upper stages "reusable" but equipping them with 'chutes and landing legs.

Your chances of actually hitting debris are very remote. The reason that it's a problem in real life is because debris collisions will make more debris, probably resulting in big Gravity-style clouds of the stuff.

But as far as KSP goes, I don't care about leaving stuff in orbit. Actually, I suck at planning my staging, so I just ride each stage up as far as it goes and then activate the next...

Every once and a while I put a probe on the final stage of a rocket to de-orbit it. But other than that I don't care about it too much. Sometimes I consider cleaning it up, but I forget about the project and move on. In one of my old saves I actually had a really close call with a bit of junk. An old transfer stage come within 500 meters of my space station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.