[1.0.5] Kip Engineering: All Docking Ports updated for 1.0.5! (11th Nov 2015)

CaptainKipard

...BoogerBrain...

Yes, if you want every single port to dock with every other port then that's the best way to do it.

I know for a fact there are some players who don't mind magic in KSP so they wont mind this solution.

...dreaded...

LOL

Maybe you have a point. I've just deleted FASA, it has more than three parts.

Fwiw, everyone, if you really want to have truly 'Universal' docking ports (which these aren't, if they can't dock with each other), and if you don't mind doing some VERY simple config editing, then you don't have to download this mod or add any new parts at all if you don't want to.

All you need to do in the config is set the 'nodeType = x' to the same size. That's what I've done with all the stock ports as well as the ones from several mods, like B9 and Kosmos, etc. I make all my docking ports 'size1', but you can actually call it anything you want, as long as you make them all the same they'll dock with each other. You could use 'nodeType = size947', or 'nodeType = Sasquatch', or even 'nodeType = BoogerBrain', as long as they match, it doesn't matter what the physical appearance of the part is.

Just some info for everyone, I hope this helps. :)

Btw, I'm not advising anyone to NOT download this mod, I actually think the models look pretty cool. But I, like many others, I'm sure, have to be wary of the dreaded 'parts bloat' problem, so lately I've been looking long and hard when a new parts mod comes out to decide if I really 'need' these new (extra) parts. That's all.

Later. :D

Yea even so I like the look of these. Think of it this way, with your method you are talking about a Clamp-o-tron Sr. docking to a Jr. It would just look weird.

I've added an optional config file that changes all the parts to have only one common node type.

With this config the parts will be able to dock with eachother, but not with stock ports.

If you don't want to redownload the whole mod you can simply replace all the text in the config file with the text in the spoiler underneath.

PART

{

name = kipunivdockport375

module = Part

author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivXLRingModel

}

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRingModel

}

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivMedRingModel

}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = metaMaterials

entryCost = 28000

cost = 3100

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Universal Docking Port X-Large

description = Docking port capable of attaching to all other Universal DOcking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". [[NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STOCK DOCKING PORTS]]

mass = 0.675

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.25

minimum_drag = 0.25

angularDrag = 0.5

crashTolerance = 30

maxTemp = 3400

MODULE

{

name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace

passable = true

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDockingNode

referenceAttachNode = dockingNode

nodeType = nonstock

}

}

PART

{

name = kipunivdockport25

module = Part

author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRimModel

}

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivLargeRingModel

}

MODEL

{

}

rescaleFactor = 1

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = metaMaterials

entryCost = 14000

cost = 1550

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Universal Docking Port Large

description = Docking port capable of attaching to all other Universal DOcking Ports. Compatible with "Connected Living Space". [[NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STOCK DOCKING PORTS]]

mass = 0.22

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.25

minimum_drag = 0.25

angularDrag = 0.5

crashTolerance = 30

maxTemp = 3400

MODULE

{

passable = true

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDockingNode

nodeType = nonstock

}

}

PART

{

name = kipunivdockport125

module = Part

author = Cpt. Kipard

scale = 1

MODEL

{

model = KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/UnivMedRimModel

}

MODEL

{

}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

TechRequired = specializedConstruction

entryCost = 8000

cost = 450

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Universal Docking Port Medium

mass = 0.07

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.25

minimum_drag = 0.25

angularDrag = 0.5

crashTolerance = 30

maxTemp = 3400

MODULE

{

passable = true

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDockingNode

nodeType = nonstock

}

}

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Yea even so I like the look of these. Think of it this way, with your method you are talking about a Clamp-o-tron Sr. docking to a Jr. It would just look weird.

I agree, which is why I don't do it if I can avoid it, lol! :D And I also agree that these look better than the stock parts, I like the fact that they're designed to LOOK as though all 3 sizes of docking port could actually attach in a (somewhat) realistic way. In fact, I've decided to download this pack next time I fire up KSP. :) All I'll need to do is change the configs to read 'nodeType = size1' so that I don't need to mess with any ship I already have in flight.

:D

I agree, which is why I don't do it if I can avoid it, lol! :D And I also agree that these look better than the stock parts, I like the fact that they're designed to LOOK as though all 3 sizes of docking port could actually attach in a (somewhat) realistic way. In fact, I've decided to download this pack next time I fire up KSP. :) All I'll need to do is change the configs to read 'nodeType = size1' so that I don't need to mess with any ship I already have in flight.

:D

Me personally, I am using this in conjunction with Fusty's CBMs, just slightly resized to fit these. That way I can use these as multi-hubs the way that I had suggested earlier. AND they look alright together (color notwithstanding)

Me personally, I am using this in conjunction with Fusty's CBMs, just slightly resized to fit these. That way I can use these as multi-hubs the way that I had suggested earlier. AND they look alright together (color notwithstanding)

Hmm, I'll have to check that out when I get in game. I like the IACBM's, but I only ever thought they looked right docking with each other, so those are the one type of docking port that I DIDN'T change to 'type1', lol. But if they look good with Kip's parts when I slap them together in the SPH/VAB, I may reconsider. Thanks for the tip! :D

What's wrong with the color?

No your coloring is fine. As is the Fusty CBMs. But they are different colors. Yours are kinda dark gray with yellow accents. Fusty CBMs are White.

Edit: when you put the two together, they dont match. Simple fix would be to tweak the Fusty CBMs with a different texture color, but I am lazy and dont actually care that much.

Hey I added the mod but the parts aren't showing up in my inventory. I've looked in both career and sandbox and there's nothing. I am using an active texture reduction mod but I don't think that's the problem. Help please.

I don't mean to treat you like an idiot, but are you sure you've installed it correctly? What does your directory structure look like?

It works fine for me.

I don't mean to treat you like an idiot, but are you sure you've installed it correctly? What does your directory structure look like?

It works fine for me.

oh so your supposed to add it to the PARTS folder... i wish there was... ya know,... a SIGN on the FRONT PAGE XD

huh... they're not showing up wither.

folder stucture:

Parts -> KipEng -> parts -> unidock

oh so your supposed to add it to the PARTS folder... i wish there was... ya know,... a SIGN on the FRONT PAGE XD

folder stucture:

sorry for double quoting myself but uhm could you show us YOUR folder structure so we can get a better idea of where to put it? also i think the mesh pathing is the problem but i could be wrong.

folder stucture:

First, are you playing career mode? If so, did you remember to go back into the research screen and unlock the specific parts? If the new parts are on a node you have previously unlocked, you have to go back and unlock the specific part on a per-node basis. You will recognize it by a little number hovering over the corner of the node.

Second, the location you placed it in will work, but mods are now intended to go more like GameData -> KipEng -> (All other subfolders as they are in the zip). It does not really matter much, it will just be easier to keep track of. Basically just drag and drop the KipEng folder from the zip into GameData and that will be that as far as the pathing.

Edited by PringleMan

What PringleMan said.

There is another possibility though. The optional cfg shouldn't be anywhere in gamedata, unless you intend to use it. Then you should paste it where all the models are as I said. I think what's happening is that people are just unzipping everything as is, and the optional cfg is taking over because the part names are the same . Since there are no models and textures in the OptionalPortCFG folder the parts do not load.

I'll try to make it clearer in the instructions.

Delete the optional cfg if you're not using it, otherwise paste it where all the other files are.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

First, are you playing career mode? If so, did you remember to go back into the research screen and unlock the specific parts? If the new parts are on a node you have previously unlocked, you have to go back and unlock the specific part on a per-node basis. You will recognize it by a little number hovering over the corner of the node.

Second, the location you placed it in will work, but mods are now intended to go more like GameData -> KipEng -> (All other subfolders as they are in the zip). It does not really matter much, it will just be easier to keep track of. Basically just drag and drop the KipEng folder from the zip into GameData and that will be that as far as the pathing.

not on career whenever i download a mod i always do sandbox just to make sure it has loaded... and by the looks of the log it has...

[LOG 22:40:43.679] Load(Texture): Parts/KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/AllPortsCol
[LOG 22:40:43.800] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:43.800] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:43.801] Load(Texture): Parts/KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/AllPortsNorm_NRM
[LOG 22:40:45.077] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 13946061B
[LOG 22:40:45.077] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 13946061B
[LOG 22:40:45.078] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:45.078] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 13946061B

but then again once i get into the game... nadda

wait... hang on... do i need CLS? (connected living space) if so then that's my problem...

why dony you release all in one pack?

Because some people don't want everything at once.

Keeping all the separate downloads in one thread seemed like a good compromise.

not on career whenever i download a mod i always do sandbox just to make sure it has loaded... and by the looks of the log it has...

[LOG 22:40:43.679] Load(Texture): Parts/KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/AllPortsCol
[LOG 22:40:43.800] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:43.800] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:43.801] Load(Texture): Parts/KipEng/parts/UnivDockPorts/AllPortsNorm_NRM
[LOG 22:40:45.077] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 13946061B
[LOG 22:40:45.077] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 13946061B
[LOG 22:40:45.078] ActiveTextureManagement: Saved 0B
[LOG 22:40:45.078] ActiveTextureManagement: Accumulated Saved 13946061B

but then again once i get into the game... nadda

wait... hang on... do i need CLS? (connected living space) if so then that's my problem...

No you don't need CLS, KSP ignores modules that it doesn't recognise.

Remember KSP loads EVERYTHING in GameData regardless whether it's referenced in a config file or not.

Anyway read the red text above. I've changed the upload so that the Optional folder isn't inside KipEng anymore. It should allow the parts to load even if people just extract everything as it is in the zip.

Edit

Fix your dir structure to what PringleMan said.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I am not sure what to say other than triple check the utilities tab again, item by item, just to make sure you have not missed it. The log you posted does not really say anything except that it loaded the textures, which it would have done anyways. I can verify that the mod works with the current version of KSP, so if the files are in the right place and you have not messed with the cfg, deleted, or moved anything (other than the optional CFG which as Kipard says, delete that unless you want that specific behavior), then the problem is not on the end of the docking ports.

I am not sure what to say other than triple check the utilities tab again, item by item, just to make sure you have not missed it. The log you posted does not really say anything except that it loaded the textures, which it would have done anyways. I can verify that the mod works with the current version of KSP, so if the files are in the right place and you have not messed with the cfg, deleted, or moved anything (other than the optional CFG which as Kipard says, delete that unless you want that specific behavior), then the problem is not on the end of the docking ports.

yes it's a problem with the thing between the key board and the screen :3

i'll try again when i'm home. just a quick question, do i put "Kipeng" into gamedata or "parts" into game data? i think it's Kipeng cuz the model paths are like: Kipeng/parts/unidock/model(etc)

I have an idea. What platform are you running the game on? Along with this, Kipard did you make sure that everything is case-correct in your release? Windows platform would not have to deal with this, but in the linux builds it could cause parts to not load properly.

I have an idea. What platform are you running the game on? Along with this, Kipard did you make sure that everything is case-correct in your release? Windows platform would not have to deal with this, but in the linux builds it could cause parts to not load properly.

DAMNIT... Windows you catch me out again!

I didn't really pay attention to that. I've never heard of this. Could you elaborate? Do you mean the paths and file names in the cfg?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.