[WIP] CrossOver Packs (Release 0.2) - B9 all the things!

PolecatEZ

All it would take to merge them would be to combine the modulemanager file so the FirespitterTextureSwitcher doesn't become too spammy. I'd be happy to do this. If Blackheart (or anyone else) wants to come up with a file-tree scheme I'd be happy to follow that also.

I messed around with some more fuel tanks today and couldn't really come up with anything that thrilled me...just dreading tackling that Apache cockpit without a UV map.

Discovered a very interesting config setting regarding wings...namely that if I want to undercoat the wings, I don't need to make separate right/left textures for them.

mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, -1

Once I get a few more textures knocked out, I'll start playing with a master .cfg for modmanager then release an alpha. I'll also be including some B9 and Squad fixes such as landing gear wobbliness and some annoying node offset errors.

Just so I don't miss anything big/obvious/dumb:

...is there anything in Squad parts that people find hard to match with B9?

...should I touch some/all of the engines?

...should I touch Mk3 parts?

Edited by PolecatEZ

All it would take to merge them would be to combine the modulemanager file so the FirespitterTextureSwitcher doesn't become too spammy. I'd be happy to do this. If Blackheart (or anyone else) wants to come up with a file-tree scheme I'd be happy to follow that also.

I messed around with some more fuel tanks today and couldn't really come up with anything that thrilled me...just dreading tackling that Apache cockpit without a UV map.

Discovered a very interesting config setting regarding wings...namely that if I want to undercoat the wings, I don't need to make separate right/left textures for them.

Once I get a few more textures knocked out, I'll start playing with a master .cfg for modmanager then release an alpha. I'll also be including some B9 and Squad fixes such as landing gear wobbliness and some annoying node offset errors.

Just so I don't miss anything big/obvious/dumb:

...is there anything in Squad parts that people find hard to match with B9?

...should I touch some/all of the engines?

...should I touch Mk3 parts?

yes yes and uhhhh.... yes?

i think your really good at making B9 like textures and i'd love an alpha O.O also if you include a fix for gear wobble will that interfear with fixes people have already put on?

If Blackheart (or anyone else) wants to come up with a file-tree scheme I'd be happy to follow that also.

Didnt quite understand this :confused:

Guesstimating edges and making even boxes all through out the texture with different numbers and letters would help :P

Is it working? It doesn't flip the wing? Cause I got a feeling it would flip the wing.

Didnt quite understand this :confused:

One common folder in the gamedata, separated by a) what it modifies? or B) who made it?

Guesstimating edges and making even boxes all through out the texture with different numbers and letters would help :P

Been there, done that twice. some of the parts are so finely spread around others its hard to judge exactly where one starts and another ends. Its a tedious process I already did with the bomber cockpit, and the apache one is, I think, actually worse.

Is it working? It doesn't flip the wing? Cause I got a feeling it would flip the wing.

Works like a charm. Its supposed to flip the wing so top is always top and bottom is always bottom, regardless of left or right.

i think your really good at making B9 like textures and i'd love an alpha O.O also if you include a fix for gear wobble will that interfear with fixes people have already put on?

I haven't actually seen anyone put out a fix for the gear wobble, just list how to do it in a forum post. Even if so, doing another override for the affected stats with mod-manager shouldn't hurt anything.

Edited by PolecatEZ

How about, at this phase, you work on SPH things and I work on VAB things? That way, we can spread the work load. I mean B9 are mostly SPH and KW are VAB. I'll see what I can do with the 'tree' folder once I am gonna release a alpha far away in the future.

Edited by blackheart612

Polecat and Blackheart when you're ready to release your texture packs could you give us an option to easily *replace* the default textures completely. I can't imagine why I would ever use stock textures again, and I don't want them to be loaded into memory at all.

Polecat and Blackheart when you're ready to release your texture packs could you give us an option to easily *replace* the default textures completely. I can't imagine why I would ever use stock textures again, and I don't want them to be loaded into memory at all.

I'm working on that, as well as a way to merge B9 parts in such a way you can cut out about 60-70 items from the catalog (but still keep most of the stuff, just use fuel mod and texture switching).

I have run into some issue with ModManager in this regard, switching out the default texture can also randomly break other aspects of the part...such as the lift rating on wings(?!?). This was my project these last two nights was working on the .cfgs to make everything work. I'm at about 70% on finished textures for what I have planned, when I get the MM .cfgs worked out I'll try to push out an alpha.

The trouble with replacing stock textures entirely is that it's not future-proof and any updates (or Steams file verification) will re-install them.

(I had that with the Squad Texture Reduction pack - replaces stock textures, next time I verify files, boom, all back to what they were)

That's exactly why I set KSP not to be updated.

If there is a way for textures not to be loaded.... anyways. If it's a png/tga, it dont need to replace, it uses those instead of mbm so really, no need to replace and get updated. BUT I think it gets loaded with the game.

I just checked and all textures in GameData are loaded even if there's no reference to them in the config files or the model files.

The "update thing" is why I'm using ModManager this time instead of a seek-overwrite .bat script. It was a clumsy implementation before with the reduction pack, but then we got the active texture management and all is well. I'll try to get an MM version of the IVA consolidation. The only thing I can think for now is that if you don't want a texture loaded, just erase it. It will show up bright white in the catalog, but when you use it you can use FS TS to set a better texture. 64-bit is "Coming Soon " then RAM limits will be a moot point in most cases, unless you're still running this on your Tandy 1000SX.

Question, I have 2 "stock game" options with the Pre-Cooler models for B9:

1) Just another round fuel-tank model. Actually much needed, as B9 doesn't have any round ones on 2.5m+ scale.

2) Some kind of air-compressor object that burns a little fuel/electricity to give a multiplier on intake air (say 1.1 or 1.2). This will allow you to get another 3-5km up in the atmosphere before flame-out, but won't do much good at lower altitudes.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Another solution would be to make a 1 pixel mbm. so that it's to the minimum. Then the mod textures take over.

I don't get it.

The "update thing" is why I'm using ModManager this time instead of a seek-overwrite .bat script. It was a clumsy implementation before with the reduction pack, but then we got the active texture management and all is well. I'll try to get an MM version of the IVA consolidation. The only thing I can think for now is that if you don't want a texture loaded, just erase it.

A bat script is not necessary. You can just have your texture packs follow the same directory structure and texture file names as the Squad folder has. People aren't all stupid; they can follow instructions. If you tell them that an overwrite option requires updates to be disabled and tell them not to verify the file cache, they'll understand.

If you tell them that an overwrite option requires updates to be disabled and tell them not to verify the file cache, they'll understand.

... and then be left with a game they can neither update or fix if they do something wrong with another mod that breaks it. Unless they re-install this, obviously, but I don't think many people will want to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.