[WIP] CrossOver Packs (Release 0.2) - B9 all the things!

PolecatEZ

I think we're just going to work on a texture switching mod that keeps the stock textures. There's a separate mod in the works somewhere on this page that prevents textures from loading if you want that also.

I'll get back to doing the few remaining Squad textures on the list, I got distracted doing the general B9 catalog cleanup. Here's what I've got so far:

For B9:

- Wings are about 1/3 thickness now, and look awesome. Thickness is exactly on par with stock wings. The HW21 wing was left as-is though.

- All duplicate models have been killed for Mk1, Mk2, HL, S2, and S2 Wide bodies. You just have one of each in the catalog now. Most of them can be texture-switched. All support the fuels mod so you can put whatever you want in them or nothing at all.

- 2 or 3 useless items have been killed, Mk4 adapter, the cargo bay without the doors, etc.

- Some resizes may be included (MK1 fuel block scaled up to 2.5m version, for example), also Mk1 to Mk2 adapter short version.

- All fixes from the B9 fixes thread have been compiled in their own .cfg, I take no credit for the contents: Sabre engine fixes, Landing Gear fixes, Landing feet fixes, Winglet/Control Surface fixes, and science fixes. You can eliminate both "extra" plugins...Firespitter is all you need.

- Removing dupes cut down catalog count by about 40 items or so. Was pushing for 60 but some things were also added.

For Firespitter:

- Oblong series has been B9'd. Some parts killed and then re-supported with texture switch/flex fuels.

- Bomber parts have been B9'd.

- Wings and control surfaces have a B9 first pass (some are quite crude).

- Most FS Propellers and Rotors have a first pass.

- Floaties have a first pass.

- Extra parts added for SSTO versions of Oblong Cockpit, Huey, and Bomber Cockpit. These are separate entries in the catalog for those that like the older versions without the torque, monopropellant, SAS, etc.

For Squad:

- Main 4 wings and some winglets have been B9'd.

- LV45, LV30, and Nuke have B9 style textures added.

- Mk1 and Mk2 barrel cockpit B9 textures...may do a B9 mashup instead, as the retextures are just ugly for my taste.

To-do:

- Full FS texture switch support needs added for most items. Its tedious. Really.

- Squad engine quad/bi/tri adapters need B9 textures.

- Finish FS wings and props, fuel variations for a lot of parts.

- Fuel support for KSPI added.

- What the hell do I do with those Sabre pre-coolers?

- Integration with Blackheart's KW textures...he just needs to label them so I know what they belong to and zip them up, I can do the rest.

Post-release:

- Mk3 stuff

- Apache stuff

All I can say is "coming soon". After I got the B9 stuff .cfg modded (see list above), I had to take a break to actually play...its like a whole new game now. Not fair, I know, I'll stop being selfish and get back to work.

The SABRE pre coolers are fully functional if you have Interstellar installed.

This is nice, and I like the retextures. I also like the fuel mod support. The only thing keeping me from downloading it is that I'm hesitant to download and install because of the removal and rework of some of the B9 parts (some of which I actually use). In addition, I'm curious as to how this will effect currently in progress flights that use the B9 fuel tanks and bodies. Plus I actually like the B9 wing thickness. Is there a way that the B9 part rework could be a separate download, that way people can pick and choose to their own tastes.

The other thing is compatibility with the 0.23.5 B9 patch that I posted in the B9 fixes thread; if the cfg files between the two are named differently, and a person installs both (by not paying attention), then it will create a problem in the game. The immediate symptom of this will be that the enable yaw/pitch/roll tweakables will be listed twice in the right-click menu in the SPH. There's a few solutions to this. One is that we both come up with cfg file names that are the same, that way the cfgs are simply overwritten and the conflict does not occur. The second is that we specifically say in both listings that you can't have both installed at the same time, or bugs will occur.

So just to clarify, I need parts mod for this? Dang, I always liked how B9 looked, but I'm afraid I'm a stock hog.

I just want to replace the vanilla textures ;~;

Edited by XyllyX

• 3 weeks later...

Could I suggest a part? inline clamp-o-tron, aka the stack mounted 1m cylinder that opens like a cargo bay to expose a docking port, very useful for 1m spaceplanes to dock with stations etc, but looks very out of place attached to these re-skinned parts or actual b9 parts.

The b9 shielded docking port is nice but it's wider than a 1m part and looks pretty silly attached to a 1m plane.

Can you make a stock-a-like Firespitter Huey cockpit? To be honest the Firespitter stuff doesn't have great textures.

Don't you worry, as soon as I can figure out Snjo's dropbox, model revisions and new textures will be on the way! Currently focusing on the Heli parts, and I'll do the cockpit first, just for you!

And to the creator of this texture replacement pack, kudos to ya! I love the awesome work of bac9, definitely the most professional mod out there. And I dare say it looks and performs better than Squad's parts and textures!(Still love ya, squad!)

Keep up the awesome work PolecatEZ!

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please explain how flex fuels actually works?

+1

also i dislike how this replaces the parts... i can see why you did it i just would like a pack without having to risk breaking my whole %^&%£ game just to make it look pretty... if you could do something like the beta of your D12 (b9 expantion) mod (have a pack that has the parts retextured and shizzle but doesn't over write anything) then that would be great... another thing i hate is modular/realfuels because since it's been broken up into two the ops to both posts don't say much at all and i'm left wonding what it is!

For flex fuels to work you need modular fuel tanks installed. You don't need real fuels. When you're in the VAB or SPH go into the action group editor and click on the fuel tank. This will allow you to select any combination of liquid fuel, oxidiser, mono-propellant or Xenon. Pro-tip: You can automatically get the right split of liquid fuel and oxidiser by attaching a rocket engine. What flex fuels also does is allow you to change the texture of the tank to whatever you want. So instead of having loads of tanks you can just have one of each size.

It doesn't delete or overwrite anything, so you can always modify the MM config to get back parts you want if they are missing.

I believe it actually increases your RAM a bit, as this was made using the ancient ways...before the days of mesh switching and when I was practicing with Photoshop for the first time before I discovered Blender. The RAM footprint is like +24mb or so, but the catalog count was dropped by about 50 parts without losing anything. AFAIK Adyx is correct in that it doesn't actually delete any parts either, they're just commented out (with another part picking up a texture switch module) or re-sized in the mm configs.

• 4 months later...

Look for the D12 Pack, which all this was rolled into. Someone else was also kind enough to update it to work with the latest B9 Expansion version.

Under the license I set, anyone is able to to anything they want with it within the confines of the original B9 license.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.