The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

so......will there be biomes on other planets yet? i want my duna ice cap fluff text

Hasn't been discussed, so it doesn't seem likely.

Or, rather, it seems exactly as likely as all of the other features they haven't mentioned yet.

I'm sure they're planned but they don't have set release dates. Biomes are implemented using bitmaps and the more bitmaps the game uses the more RAM it uses, making mod users more upset as it leaves less room for their mods.

...is there enough of the 4gb ram space for biomes on every planet/moon and all the "planned features" that will eventually be stock? or will ksp be forced to go 64bit eventually?

...is there enough of the 4gb ram space for biomes on every planet/moon and all the "planned features" that will eventually be stock? or will ksp be forced to go 64bit eventually?

Adding features or expanding on them is not quite a 1+1 thing ... And biomes in specific are just a tiny set of coords/attributes, tiny in size anyway.

Then there's optimization coming in.

Aaand then here's to hoping for Unity to fix their Winx64 issues :)

Cheers!

New biome maps take up a bit of RAM, but there are only 17 planets, so they aren't going to make the stock install balloon from around 1GB to over 4GB. And a round of optimizing existing textures (there are a lot of totally unnecessary 1k textures) and assets would probably help a lot to reduce the RAM load, but I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

OK, I thought today was a good day to warn Squad: Do not announce or release ARM tomorrow. Everyone will think it is a prank. And if it is, it will just make everyone mad at you. I'm warning you, proceed at your own risk.

Wow, someone asking for a delay of release if it's ready tomorrow. Prepare to be lynched, sir. :)

OK, I thought today was a good day to warn Squad: Do not announce or release ARM tomorrow. Everyone will think it is a prank. And if it is, it will just make everyone mad at you. I'm warning you, proceed at your own risk.

KSP Development Team:"Tuesday, April 1st announcement, We regret to inform the KSP community that due to an unexpected error in our antivirus software, all progress on the ARM update seems to have been lost. It is unknown when or if a future update of this nature will be released, all we can say is SOON."

"April fools!"

KSP Development Team:"Tuesday, April 1st announcement, We regret to inform the KSP community that due to an unexpected error in our antivirus software, all progress on the ARM update seems to have been lost. It is unknown when or if a future update of this nature will be released, all we can say is SOON."

"April fools!"

That's tomorrow.

"April fools!"

Wouldn't fall for that jack crap.

"April fools!"

That would really suck, but it wouldn't take as long to recode it right?

If released tomorrow the joke would be a week is "soon" :P

At least we get the dev notes thank goodness

Edited by MKI
odd update thing..

"April fools!"

Yeaaaaaah....no.