The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Do we know if asteroids have science points associated with them yet?

Thanks in advanced!

Maxmaps mentioned that in his preview video, but we did not actually see him collect science. So for your question, we don't know if science is activated yet, but it would be understandable if said science is activated in the 0.24 update rather than the 0.23.5 ARM update. Either way, its probably "soon".

One of the first things I'm going to do take one of those KS-25 engine clusters and clip another one to it rotated 90 degrees, for very powerful 8 engine cluster. I'll probably try the same with the new 2 engine liquid booster and throw another engine in the center.

And then I'll make a Saturn V. I'm more excited about new parts than the asteroids. I spend all my time in the VAB anyway.

"And then"? I'm making a Saturn V as soon as I get my hands on the patch. Seeing that tank paintjob for the first time made me throw the Phoebus MkII to the dustbin. So much fairing space! :D

Sorry if this was already asked...I tried searching I just got stuff that didn't relate.

Since asteroids are dockable...can you dock asteroids together? I want to make another moon. ;-)

Sorry if this was already asked...I tried searching I just got stuff that didn't relate.

Since asteroids are dockable...can you dock asteroids together? I want to make another moon. ;-)

Yes you can. All you need is to bring a part which has two claws, one on each end. Catch one asteroid, bring it to another, and get them both clawed by the same ship. You cannot do it without any parts in between though. Or maybe with KAS, if you attach a docking port directly to the asteroid. That might be fun.

I imagine a person trying to pull Gilly out of it's orbit. Don't be mean to Gilly! :D

[...]Catch one asteroid, bring it to another, and get them both clawed by the same ship.[...]

Oh my god! Build your own asteroid belt.

Edited by Crown

just so i understand it, the arm patch is coming out, and then soon(TM) after that the .24 full patch comes out? why not just combine them and release same time at a slightly later date?

Something that hasn't been discussed is the prevalence of asteroids in other orbits. Scott Manley mentioned that the tracking station will show asteroids that enter Kerbin's SOI. What about if you switch to Duna? Do you see asteroids that enter Duna's SOI? Or is Kerbin is a particularly privilaged part of space?

Something that hasn't been discussed is the prevalence of asteroids in other orbits. Scott Manley mentioned that the tracking station will show asteroids that enter Kerbin's SOI. What about if you switch to Duna? Do you see asteroids that enter Duna's SOI? Or is Kerbin is a particularly privilaged part of space?

They only spawn in the vicinity of Kerbin, this maaay change in the future, but they obviously didn't want to promise anything.

Yes you can. All you need is to bring a part which has two claws, one on each end. Catch one asteroid, bring it to another, and get them both clawed by the same ship. You cannot do it without any parts in between though. Or maybe with KAS, if you attach a docking port directly to the asteroid. That might be fun.

Nice!

I thought about the limitless fun with KAS. Parachute an asteroid...make an asteroid rover...Space Station Asteroid...

just so i understand it, the arm patch is coming out, and then soon(TM) after that the .24 full patch comes out? why not just combine them and release same time at a slightly later date?

They could, but the we would have to wait a while to play with asteroids... :(

I wonder if it can be done with two claws back to back with no intervening part. If you can attach a claw to a ship by the business end in the VAB, similar to predocked ports, I think it might be possible. Build a ship with a double ended claw attached to it, attach it to the asteroid and unclamp the claw attached to the ship. Switch to another ship already clawed to the asteroid, use that one to maneuver the asteroid with the claw into contact with another asteroid and clamp it.

I am guessing that, from a distribution perspective, the asteroid pack is effectively a mod. It doesn't require a lot of code to be changed.

Where .24 on the other hand, is a complete update of the KSP program.

Guessing, mind you. I have no clue what goes on at Squarters (Squad Headquarters)

Kerbin is particularly privileged to have Kerbals on it, looking into the sky with telescopes in their back yards. Duna has no such infrastructure so while there are asteroids out there, nobody's spotting them.

I doubt they'll be that close together. I think a lot of dev time got side-tracked for the ARM patch and they'll be playing catch-up once it's released. Then 0.24 will have to be thoroughly tested. Maybe a month after the ARM patch is released?

Kerbin is particularly privileged to have Kerbals on it, looking into the sky with telescopes in their back yards. Duna has no such infrastructure so while there are asteroids out there, nobody's spotting them.

Fair enough. Didn't know if I could fly to Eve, check the local neighborhood for space rocks, and park one on Gilly. Sounds like it's not probable.

Lol, I thought Kerbals had an extremely overpowered tracking station that can make HD maps of all planets, including Eeloo, and terminate flights with the press of a button. It's even capable of time travel (revert flight & time warp).

So your saying that Kerbals themselves have to find these asteroids? I guess they just don't like being lazy...:D