Docking Mode: Do you use it?

ddavis425

Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?

• Docking Mode
    • Flight Mode

I use it all the time for docking. If I need to rotate, I just press space to switch to rotation mode. One hand on the mouse for camera handlage, and the other on WASD for my translatizing and rotamation all in one place.

Exactly all i think

I'm using a HOTAS, so flight mode all the time. With my setup, I've got everything under my fingers, so no need to bother with separate modes.

Ditto with razark, I mapped my translation keys to the key pad. Docking has never been easier :)

Offtopic: Is it just me, or does the "green" prograde marker look yellow? A lot have people have said it looks green (including the wiki), but it looks yellowish to me...

Offtopic: Is it just me, or does the "green" prograde marker look yellow? A lot have people have said it looks green (including the wiki), but it looks yellowish to me...

From close inspection of screenshots, they're yellowish green (160/255/0 or so) but they appear yellow because they're partially translucent and their color mixes with the background.

RfRpGj9.png

Edited by Kasuha

I just solve rotation before I do any translating. Docking mode is great for that. Most of my docking is done in IVA with just a camera and the navball by now, so I don't have to touch the mouse at all.

I love docking mode. IJKLHN just feels weird to me and I keep hitting the wrong keys, plus I like having one hand on the mouse. I normally line up the craft far in advance by pointing them north and south so rotation is almost never a problem and when it is, it doesn't take much to switch controls. The only thing that annoys me is that when you press space to switch to rotation-mode the SAS disables. It's a layover from back when SAS had to be switched off to rotate, it really isn't helpful now.

From close inspection of screenshots, they're yellowish green (160/255/0 or so) but they appear yellow because they're partially translucent and their color mixes with the background.

http://i.imgur.com/RfRpGj9.png

I was of the impression we were talking about on the navball, I don't think many people use maneuvering nodes for docking.

I used docking mode until I mapped a controller to all the translation keys, which makes movement so much more fluid and intuitive. Docking mode should probably have better features, like those docking reticule mods do.

I use Docking mode. I use a Joystick for most flights, so I don't really get the brain conflicts that some do with the WASD / docking mode control changes. In fact, I always have to hunt around for the right key when I do want to use the translation buttons in normal "staging" mode. I also love the fact that i cant screw things up by hitting space and staging things :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.