B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Seeing as they're more crew members than passengers
Says who? Not my fault if your Kerbals don't have any space tourism :P
Any suggestions for what I should tackle next? Mk5, S2WB, HL, S2 6m?
An S2WB cabin would be great! Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

Any suggestions for what I should tackle next? Mk5, S2WB, HL, S2 6m?

Since S2 wide and HL both require making a part as well as an IVA, and Mk5 is compatible with TT's cockpit, my vote would be for S2 6m.

eG4lpTn.png

Quick mockup of 6m S2 crew tank, added arches to break up the long walls (not properly textured yet) but frankly I'm tempted to make a new external model for both the 2m and 6m with the windows in the "correct" position where they'd be head-height on the top wall and none on the bottom wall due to the heat-tiles (making window covers with heat-tiles on them work would be a nightmare mechanically) The "hack" of cutting into the floor to show the windows of the original model looks even more silly done 3 times like that per side, and it's wasting room for the overall layout, and being able to look out the window next to you from the seat would be nicer imo.

Quick mockup of it with windows moved up:

2pqQBFo.png

Outside, note the windows fit the external mesh though the external mesh hasn't been adjusted obviously

0m42pRQ.png

Kerbal height-head position on one of the chairs, the wall hasn't had a hole punched through it yet obviously but the window frame should give an indication of how it would look, just imagine there to be a hole inside it, and disregard the hole in the wall and floor bellow, those would obviously be filled in.

I much prefer the windows moved up, would allow a much saner internal layout, can have one ladder/staircase instead of 6, don't need access to the 6 ladders on both floors either.

Edited by K3|Chris

Hmm...judging from that last picture they can see out of those centered windows surprisingly well. And from spaceplane there's usually more to see if you look down than up. Then again, 6 ladders are indeed silly, unless you decide to divide the bottom floor into separate rooms or something. But an advantage of leaving the windows centered, of course, would be the fact that you wouldn't have to make changes to the original outside model...

Can't quite decide which version I would personally prefer, but I'm excited to see what you'll do :)

The top-mounted windows make more sense from a thermal protection prospective too, it means that their ever-so-fragile gaskets don't get exposed to the blowtorch of heat upon reentry if the craft rolls somewhat. Keep up the good work, K3, I'm eagerly watching this and waiting for its gradual inclusion in B9.

What do you think about the other S2 crew tanks.

You could theoretically use the same interior under the basis that they are "multi-cabin." The other option, if it is possible, is to simply modify the design.

Thanks for you blessing bac9, I know it's not always easy to see your work modified by someone else, truth be told I was a bit apprehensive about modifying something as polished as the b9 pack, but since I'm adding features instead of just modifying stuff it's less of a desecration and more of an addition, I'll try to improve the quality of my additions to at least get closer to b9 standards, uv mapping and texturing are my main downfalls currently, relied too much on your existing textures trying to wrangle new geometry around your textures, I think I need to start making my own textures or at least modified versions of yours to stop having these uv issues, the ceiling is a pretty good example, it's just repeating a small part meant for a wall in the back of the S2 cockpit, it looks pretty weird, I need to come up with a better and larger design for the walls, and re-use parts of the current texture but extend it in various ways to get less of a quilted pattern effect.

Only real modification I've done so far to the exterior is moving those windows, and I think you'd have done the same if you started making an IVA for the S2 parts, having the windows be floor height in a 2 floor configuration or have a massively tall 1 floor configuration doesn't make a lot of sense, the window right on the side makes sense from the exterior until you start considering the internal layout.

What pushed me to play KSP more in IVA is RPM, Alcor is a good example of an IVA you want to spend time in, even if it's just crew tanks for now (I intend to move onto the S3 and Mk3 cockpits as well, though the S3's animation could be tricky) I think IVAs are part of the whole experience.

Ruedii: not entirely sure what you're talking about, do you mean use what window arrangement on the 2m version? I have plans to do that.

Read have Read: Yes, my current idea is to have 2 versions of the 6m part, picked either from the list or using a tweakables setup, one version is pretty much like coach on an airplane, stuffed with kerbals, useful for simple A to B transports like taking a large crew to an EL station or similar, the other layout will have less kerbals but more facilities for a more "role play" friendly setup, scientific equipment, more living space and the like, meant for exploratory missions.

Thanks for you blessing bac9, I know it's not always easy to see your work modified by someone else, truth be told I was a bit apprehensive about modifying something as polished as the b9 pack, but since I'm adding features instead of just modifying stuff it's less of a desecration and more of an addition, I'll try to improve the quality of my additions to at least get closer to b9 standards, uv mapping and texturing are my main downfalls currently, relied too much on your existing textures trying to wrangle new geometry around your textures, I think I need to start making my own textures or at least modified versions of yours to stop having these uv issues, the ceiling is a pretty good example, it's just repeating a small part meant for a wall in the back of the S2 cockpit, it looks pretty weird, I need to come up with a better and larger design for the walls, and re-use parts of the current texture but extend it in various ways to get less of a quilted pattern effect.

Only real modification I've done so far to the exterior is moving those windows, and I think you'd have done the same if you started making an IVA for the S2 parts, having the windows be floor height in a 2 floor configuration or have a massively tall 1 floor configuration doesn't make a lot of sense, the window right on the side makes sense from the exterior until you start considering the internal layout.

What pushed me to play KSP more in IVA is RPM, Alcor is a good example of an IVA you want to spend time in, even if it's just crew tanks for now (I intend to move onto the S3 and Mk3 cockpits as well, though the S3's animation could be tricky) I think IVAs are part of the whole experience.

Ruedii: not entirely sure what you're talking about, do you mean use what window arrangement on the 2m version? I have plans to do that.

Read have Read: Yes, my current idea is to have 2 versions of the 6m part, picked either from the list or using a tweakables setup, one version is pretty much like coach on an airplane, stuffed with kerbals, useful for simple A to B transports like taking a large crew to an EL station or similar, the other layout will have less kerbals but more facilities for a more "role play" friendly setup, scientific equipment, more living space and the like, meant for exploratory missions.

K3|Chris, this is some very nice work. I typically will use the 6m crew pods for habitation modules for stations, and having an IVA for it would be icing on the cake :). I'll be giving the 2m pods a spin sometime tonight.

Great work here, glad to see someone with the patience to make more IVAs :)

bac9! Good to have you back! :)

Edited by Raven.

Sorry but while reading both comments I couldn't avoid to think about this video XD

K3|Chris, your part are very well crafted indeed. I hope my laptop will be able to handle your nice addition and I hope to see future elements :D

Btw, to the original B9 modder: Welcome back, it's nice to see you around and I hope everything was/is going fine. With that said, now I'll run to brace in my seat before the tsunami of people hits this post XD

first things first i just want to congradulate on the super B9 like artistic nature of the IVAs and the S2 crew part. amazing.

uhm now i'd like to ask for something or just you know keep this in mind....

IVA for supersonic cockpit? plz... pretty please?....

>_> any chance you would be willing to do a Airliner style that has the hatch on the side rather than on the top... that gets kind of confusing and frustrating when makeing airliners with B9 default parts.