B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Nope, they don't have a back-side thus they're invisible from the inside.

That's cool. Some kind of high tech protective polymer for reentry then. Allows you to see out but prevents the window from being damaged by the heat.

Heh, I could fix that if I had access to the original external model, well I do, but not with animations etc intact, just the basic geometry and textures.

You don't have to, it was more a curiosity than anything. I really like what you are doing.

Some more pictures of WIP Mk2 Crew Tank:

snCMjQM.png

zinHx0N.png

Put it between a fuel tank and cockpit to see how it connects, there is a bit of a weird difference in the lines between the Mk2 parts and the Mk2 cockpit I'm confused by. See how it joins up better with the fuel tank than the cockpit? Same deal with all other mk2 parts I've looked at.

What do you think? External windows lines up with internal opening frames since they're based of the same mesh, hopefully the hatch function is somewhat explained by the chevrons otherwise I'll need to add some other details explaining/emphasizing the fact that most of the side is in fact a gull-wing style door. I'll add a hinge and hydraulics etc on the inside along with a similar line to make it even more obvious.

Edited by K3|Chris

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still WIP but getting there, got some issues with it like the weird white and dark shading in front and behind of the window, not sure what's going on there, and I need to figure out ladders and hatches in KSP to make those handles actually take you outside (they're from RPM as far as I know)

Obviously needs all kinds of props in there to make it non-empty inside, and the front kerbal is nearly touching distance from the door in front of him, and kerbals for some reason has a tiny field of view, looks like he's pressing his face against it as a result, not sure what the solution is, in Unity/Modo it looks fine as you can see above, but in-game it's literally staring at a door, could flip him I guess but then we don't have that convenient MFD mount...

Needs some hinges/mechanism to make the door opening more believable imo. And obviously light sources, there are lights in there but no mesh to tell you why there is light in there, needs some actual lights that output that light.

If I manage to figure out KSP animation and emissives I'll add a window-cover and window lighting.

Edited by K3|Chris

That's beautiful.

I think turning the seat around would be fine, does a passenger compartment really need MFDs?

Seeing as they're more crew members than passengers, I'd like to think they'd want to know at least a little bit about the ship they're being flown in. You get that kinda thing in aeroplanes and ferries anyway after all.

Yeah that's the thought, wish you could move kerbals inside the IVA, a button to turn the seat 180 for them to face each other would be nice.

Making nice progress, the IRC is very helpful, fixed the weird issue around the window and made the internal windows click-able, working on the hatch and ladder atm.

And by working on I mean I couldn't get em to work at all until I asked in the IRC and it took them 20s flat to figure out the TT IVA tutorial doesn't mention setting "Is Trigger" on the collision boxes... Thanks Alskari

I think the MFDs are a sufficient pro over the starting at a door con, added an MFD for that seat as well, the hatch needs a ladder added to it's texture and a button/handle of some kind of make it more obvious it's a hatch, but otherwise I think this one is almost complete except for props inside ofc.

just curious what kind of liscence did B9 have for his parts? because if the licence permits. I think B9 may eventually turn into KB-12 :D and that just sounds Straight up Jeb (btw can we start replaceing awesome or cool with like Jeb :D cause that just sounds awesome or well.. Sounds downright jeb))

Edited by Hellbrand

so wait, B-9 made it so people could re-use the assets so long as they give credit where it's due, and they do not sell it?

Meaning somone could use the B-9 assets and release a spinoff pack using the same parts?

Looks great, while there are several shuttle clone mods this could make a B9 Mk2 based shuttle design to compete with. My only reservation is this design seems (to me) to beg for a 'clam style' hatch opening for EVA. A two door (top and bottom) with steps on the bottom part so on the ground the Kerbals could 'walk up the steps' into the crew bay. I am not suggesting you halt or slow your work to implement it (since it would entail quite a bit of work) but for a later variant (Mk 2b?) or modified part.

No new missions till this part gets added!

Yeah I ideally wanted to do something like that as well, problem is how far the lower door opens, since we don't know how far off the ground the part is going to be, from near flush to really far above the ground depending on landing gear etc it's tricky, and the problem that IVA and EVA are different things, can't open a part and have a kerbal go in and take a seat, you need a defined hatch the kerbal uses and then they're teleported inside.

Also the heat-tiles pose a bit of a problem/challenge, both technically and conceptually, technically it's not that easy designing a straight line though them they're laid down like bricks, if you draw a line through them you'll end up with half sized ones etc, conceptually because it's quite risky business cutting into a heat-shield in that fashion.

I might do it down the line but you'd have to accept the interior looking empty from the outside and you teleporting inside once you use the hatch, limitations of how KSP is set-up. You can think of the IVA as an instance, not visible from the outside.

0.3 released, contains some polish to the S2 2m IVA (ladders and fire extinguisher tweaked to appear round instead of angular) and the initial version Mk2 2m IVA, both are WIP but they're pretty sweet regardless (at least IMHO).

This is really awesome. You and alexustas are setting a new bar for IVA design :) I hope you tackle the B9 MK5 Cockpit next. It's such a nice looking part for interplanetary ships, big shame it has no IVA.

Oh forgot it doesn't have an IVA, I've used the Mk3 IVA by TT with it, RPM even adds MFDs to it, it matches fairly well in shape if not in style, yeah possibility I could make one, the S3 is more tricky though because of the whole animation thing, not entirely sure how you'd get the animation of the external part to affect the IVA, one solution is locking the animation of the external part but that pretty much ruins the point of the part imo.