MR DINOSAUR - Tyrannosaurus Rex. From dinosaurs to rocket science thanks to robotics

m1sz

I was so happy about the feedback I got from Mr Roboto that I had to keep doing them!, makes me happy :D

I always liked robots, yes =), and there's not many working robots wandering the KSP forums and youtube!, So I though.., let's fill the gap somehow! :P

This is all the awesome!

Looks pretty stable actually, and fast too! You might be able to increase it's speed further if you can get some proper ankle action in there. In bipedal animals, the length of the foot bone plays an important role in the speed that the animal can attain, which is partially why we're slow as ****.

I was so happy about the feedback I got from Mr Roboto that I had to keep doing them!, makes me happy :D

I always liked robots, yes =), and there's not many working robots wandering the KSP forums and youtube!, So I though.., let's fill the gap somehow! :P

Mine keep falling over....

Does the tail actually work as a balancing thing? Cause this is awesome!

THat's my goal, but atm it's just a little help, needs to have more weight to affect the balance a bit more!

This is all the awesome!

Looks pretty stable actually, and fast too! You might be able to increase it's speed further if you can get some proper ankle action in there. In bipedal animals, the length of the foot bone plays an important role in the speed that the animal can attain, which is partially why we're slow as ****.

Yes ! I tried, but it's hard..., I want to have all the controls in 2 buttons, and that way, I can't force the ankle to move in the precise moment, and otherway, it makes my back leg get stuck and unable to move to the front quick enough for another step!. It's tricky :P

I could make a bit of a suggestion. I've noticed that your robots don't get much traction while running fast, or moving any speed, for that matter. You could actually add the landing gear in the deployed, brakes on position, and it gives you so much more traction while running.

I found this out while making a rolling cage. moving parts tend to slide on the ground, but the deployed, braked wheels really grip the road.

Thanks for the tip Cranium!, I've tried with landing gear deployed with breaks on. Thing is, it needs lots of space and looks horrible.

INstead, I use landing legs, which also have lots of drag, and have a variety of sizes (not many). In this robot, I use the medium landing legs, oposed, to provide some grip. Anyway, I'd love to be able to set the grip to any part... maybe in the .cfg? I don't know, I'm a noob messing with code

Well, after taking a closer look at your design, I hadn't noticed the landing legs in the first place. But one thing I did notice, is that there are no toes. Yes, toes....I know it sounds silly to put such a small thing as toes on a robot, but they mean a lot when you're dealing with robots with a large stride.

You'll see that as you stride forward, the leg you are putting the most weight on will flex your toes down, allowing you to have a longer platform for your weight to contact the ground with. This is especially important when you're running, and even more important when you've got a leg structure like a raptor. Most of their weight is on the balls of their feet, and if you look at your model, once the flat part of the feet roll to the "toe" section of the feet, the landing legs no longer are touching, and you slip for the rest of the stride.

TL;DR:

I'd suggest moving your forward pointing landing legs past the edge of the strut you have there, so that when the weight shifts to the front of the foot, you still have traction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.