• N1
    • Saturn 1B
    • Saturn V
    • Voskhod
    • Soyuz
    • Titan II
    • Space Shuttle
    • Buran

N1 (I like this one even though it never did anything XD )

Well it did do something. It exploded. Like, a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

F-1 engines are still relevant today, as well as J-2 engines.

F-1B engines are upgraded F-1s and J-2X are "derived" from the J-2. :)

Saturn V accomplished the most and was designed by the one and only Wernher von Braun, possibly the greatest rocket genius of all time. Korolev was pretty good, too. Would have been great if they worked together.

I can't help but think Korelev and von Braun would have been friends given the chance.

EDIT: Apparently double posts are automatically made into edits. that's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

The N1 would've beaten the US because there were two made and in testing, by the time the US had BEGUN the Apollo program. But the rocket exploded, :/

I can't help but think Korelev and von Braun would have been friends given the chance.

The N1 would've beaten the US because there were two made and in testing, by the time the US had BEGUN the Apollo program. But the rocket exploded, :/

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

They might have. You know they might have.

Apollo bonded a NATION together stronger than anything before, the ISS bonded a WORLD together

I beg to differ. Apollo brought the world together. Everyone watched the moon landing. The whole world was WAY more excited about Apollo than they are the ISS.

I beg to differ. Apollo brought the world together. Everyone watched the moon landing. The whole world was WAY more excited about Apollo than they are the ISS.

True. However nations watched, but it didn't actrully politically effect the world as the ISS did. The ISS bonded the world together across bounds that would have been treason in the 1960s. So it's a matter of international cooperation and political influence than cultural influence which, I'll agree, the Apollo program has had a much larger impact than ANYTHING the entire exploration of deep space will have. So your right and your wrong. Depending on your point of view.

Saturn V. It is still the only LV capable of launching a manned spacecraft beyond LEO.

What about the Molniya-M LV? It carried the Russian Luna missions all the way to the moon. Or the Delta II, SpaceEx Falcon Heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

I voted for the Saturn V, but I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more votes for the space shuttle.

The space shuttles are cool, but no offense, if your looking for a space shuttle that's cool, the Buran Energia takes that one home instantly.

What about the Molniya-M LV? It carried the Russian Luna missions all the way to the moon. Or the Delta II, SpaceEx Falcon Heavy.

Saturn V was the only manned vehicle. Delta II is for probes (but might be used with Boeing CST-100, for LEO operations **edit: nevermind, that's the Delta IV, I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing**), SpaceX Falcon Heavy is for payloads and not really the Dragon IIRC. Not sure about Molniya M. But, in 2022 (I think), the Space Launch System will launch astronauts to the Moon to visit an asteroid brought into lunar orbit :)

Edited by Woopert

Saturn V was the only manned vehicle. Delta II is for probes (but might be used with Boeing CST-100, for LEO operations), SpaceX Falcon Heavy is for payloads and not really the Dragon IIRC. Not sure about Molniya M. But, in 2022 (I think), the Space Launch System will launch astronauts to the Moon to visit an asteroid brought into lunar orbit :)

That's the plan... Let's hope the economy backs it :P

I would've voted the shuttle, but its lack of an LES knocked it down a few pegs in my book. ( not talking about its history here please leave that out of this thread. But the design on paper ).

Well NASA would have ejection stuff everywhere, but Liberty Belle 7 is a firm reminder early in the program that having explosive escape ways isn't always the SAFEST thing... Ironically the thing that killed Gus Grissom, was on fact the fix to that problem... Pressurized doors rather than explosive bolts to get the pilots out of there, besides... How do you put a LES tower on a plane? Not very well.

Besides the first 5 space shuttle missions or so DID have a ejection seats as a LES, but we're soon after removed... Thank goodness they did.

Well NASA would have ejection stuff everywhere, but Liberty Belle 7 is a firm reminder early in the program that having explosive escape ways isn't always the SAFEST thing... Ironically the thing that killed Gus Grissom, was on fact the fix to that problem... Pressurized doors rather than explosive bolts to get the pilots out of there, besides... How do you put a LES tower on a plane? Not very well.

Besides the first 5 space shuttle missions or so DID have a ejection seats as a LES, but we're soon after removed... Thank goodness they did.

Ive actually put thought into how an LES design would work on the shuttle. It involes just sticking an LES tower on the nose and have the crew cabin/upper quarter of the fulesalage be separable. Drag boats come to mind.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107741&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1298958172

Picture that, but for seven people instead of one, a separation tower and some parachutes. It adds complexity and weight, no dout, but.. well...

Ive actually put thought into how an LES design would work on the shuttle. It involes just sticking an LES tower on the nose and have the crew cabin/upper quarter of the fulesalage be separable. Drag boats come to mind.

http://www.performanceboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107741&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1298958172

Picture that, but for seven people instead of one, a separation tower and some parachutes. It adds complexity and weight, no dout, but.. well...

I like your logic, and what you point out kind of works but even then, in some cases such as Challenger, the disintegration was too rapid for even a computer so respond... Challenger still wouldn't disintegrated... However since the crew cabin DID survive the explosion the alternative would've have happened in your design. They did survive the explosion, but they didn't survive the landing, with your idea they would have survived better, but with a potential possibilty of death still being possible...

Supposedly. they would detach as soon as the slightest hint of a problem appeared...

Watch Challenger in slow motion, then compare it to the ONLY recoded use of a LES... Watch how much time went by before it fired.... Then why the Challenger clip again.... Not NEARLY as long... I've watched the clips. I know...

Where do you get this from? The first N1 didn't fly until 1969 ;by which point Saturn V was considered operational, and had already put people into lunar orbit.

Where do you get this from? The first N1 didn't fly until 1969 ;by which point Saturn V was considered operational, and had already put people into lunar orbit.

I get my information from various sources. Sometimes I go to other places to back it up however as I stated before I'm not as strong on my Russia space history so please don't attack for me it. I have found the information someplace and that's what I know or at least think I know. If you would like to correct me, then please do so. I'd rather be correct than wrong.

According to Wikipedia the first N1 launch was indeed in 1969. The last being in 72 following its cancellation in 74.

Ive said this before, but ill say it again. It makes me wonder how much farther the program would have went if Korolev hadn't died.

According to Wikipedia the first N1 launch was indeed in 1969. The last being in 72 following its cancellation in 74.

Ive said this before, but ill say it again. It makes me wonder how much farther the program would have went if Korolev hadn't died.

Yeah... Makes me think along the same lines as Buran... If the odds hadn't been so poor, then would it have been more successful?

Saturn 1B

No failures whatsoever, even though it had few launches.

BUT, it was constructed from Mercury and Jupiter tanks on the first stage, which lowered the cost significantly.

You should add Saturn 1, Titan III, and Atlas Centaur

V2 wasn't on the list :\

But I'd probably still pick the S5 anyway. Because as mentioned, it went somewhere, with live people, other than LEO. And was the biggest thing I know that cleared the launch clamps.

Well I do want ye olde rockets, but I want the ones which DID make it to space... Besides the V2 was cool, but it was almost completely (as far I'm aware of) designed by Wherner Von Bruan... Without him the damn thing might not have ever gotten above 1000ft.

Saturn 1B

No failures whatsoever, even though it had few launches.

BUT, it was constructed from Mercury and Jupiter tanks on the first stage, which lowered the cost significantly.

You should add Saturn 1, Titan III, and Atlas Centaur

I'll definitely add the Saturn 1 or later version easy, but not the Atlas Centaur... Too new... This is the OLDE rockets, not new ones :P ! I'll have to recheck on the Titan III that might be addable, I'll have to see it again...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.