[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

1.13 seems to be working fine on a new game. Absolutely consistent with the actual state of parts (tested with stock, RemoteTech2 and SCANsat parts up to now), and that is a great improvement :cool:.

When entering Flight mode, it takes a fraction of a second to reload the state and show it with the buttons (unlike previous versions when the state was drawn almost instantaneously) but that is not really a prob.

Hope to have more time so to run more extensive tests later.

EDIT: Question: with the save folder I see a number of "AGExt0000#.cfg" files are saved, to hold the various parameters for this add-on to work. Have a vague idea those are saved each time a new persistent.sfs is automatically saved (so, when switching views/vessels). However, while persistent.sfs is unique, those files are numbered and keep increasing, so the presence of them all is a bit "excessive" (read: spamming too many of those files). Would be possible to manually trim them, or better if the add-on could keep them in sync with the main save files (persistent, quicksave and any other named save)?

Edited by diomedea

Oops, I meant to mention that in my last post.

As you assumed, each time a save happens a new AGX#.cfg file is created. The reason for this is that I can't tell what kind of save happens from within a game (auto-save, normal save, auto-save, named save) so I have to tag the save and load it via the number depending on which save is loaded.

I actually have the logic for trimming those files worked out but I deliberately left it disabled as I needed to check in with people on if they still use mod's that allow additional auto-saves after Squad added the ability to save manually at the space center. If I enabled it as-is, any saves made by an auto-save mod would lose all their actions.

It is quite possible that now that you can save manually from the space center, the use of auto-save mods is no longer popular and I can just delete old .cfg files with my current code, but I wanted to check first.

When entering Flight mode, it takes a fraction of a second to reload the state and show it with the buttons (unlike previous versions when the state was drawn almost instantaneously) but that is not really a prob.

This is not an issue (or an intended issue, depending on how you look at it). You can't actually issue commands for that fraction of a second when entering Flight mode anyway. I use the "ready to fly" flag to load my actions to make sure everything has loaded first (ran into issues if I tried to load at the same time as everything else) so before that ready to fly state, any control inputs are ignored anyway.

D.

Edited by Diazo

I actually have the logic for trimming those files worked out but I deliberately left it disabled as I needed to check in with people on if they still use mod's that allow additional auto-saves after Squad added the ability to save manually at the space center. If I enabled it as-is, any saves made by an auto-save mod would lose all their actions.

D.

Yep, understood. Well, my case is certainly not the same of for everybody else, but before Squad made the named-save feature, I used extensively a mod called Multiple Saves. Not anymore.

However, I am also using Kerbal Alarm Clock, and that mod produces auto-saves as "KACBACKUPyyyymmddHHmmss+persistent.sfs|quicksave.sfs" or "KACJumptoShip.sfs", seems to keep a safe copy from before changing vessels when an alarm goes off. Believe KAC is a rather popular mod, so would be important to keep compatibility with that.

Yes, that would qualify also.

I'm actually taking a break and playing my own save of KSP for once and I've got KAC installed. It looks like the KAC backups should be easy to handle laid out as they are so KAC backups will not cause me any headaches.

D.

Hi Diazo,

I'm having a bit of a problem with the new version after an upgrade though. Keyset 1 has no keys bound to 1-10. I have to go through manually for every ship and add the hotkeys Alpha1 to Alpha0 to 1-10.

Is this expected, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help, and for the awesome mod!

I was playing a bit with the new version and I got some bugs:

1.) in flight editing an action group: I wanted to remove an action from an action group and upon clicking on the action in the "Actions (This Group): 1" window not the currently displayed action was removed but all the actions from the other assigned AGs!

2.) also some titles went missing when reloading old saves but this could be because of loading saves from an old AGX version (maybe it didn't find the right cfg file because there wasn't one)

Logs and savefile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4v15ov3yxa99ee/2014_08_31-2018.rar?dl=0 (includes a screenshot of my craft exploding due to staging mishap while checking the log :confused: )

But else the action groups worked really good and didn't get removed on vessel switching :)

Great work, thanks!

Hi Diazo,

I'm having a bit of a problem with the new version after an upgrade though. Keyset 1 has no keys bound to 1-10. I have to go through manually for every ship and add the hotkeys Alpha1 to Alpha0 to 1-10.

Is this expected, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help, and for the awesome mod!

Hmm, that sounds like the keybinds are not saving. Keybinds are not set on a per vessel basis, there are 5 available total. Once you set the keybinds for KeySet1 on vessel A, those keybinds should be present on vessel B (when KeySet1 is selected).

Can you open GameData\Diazo\AGExt\AGext.cfg and see what the KeySet1 line is set too please? The following is what you will see if groups 1 through 10 are set to the numbers 1 through 0:

KeySet1 = ‣001Alpha1‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0

If it is different, can you copy paste what you are seeing please?

I was playing a bit with the new version and I got some bugs:

1.) in flight editing an action group: I wanted to remove an action from an action group and upon clicking on the action in the "Actions (This Group): 1" window not the currently displayed action was removed but all the actions from the other assigned AGs!

2.) also some titles went missing when reloading old saves but this could be because of loading saves from an old AGX version (maybe it didn't find the right cfg file because there wasn't one)

Logs and savefile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4v15ov3yxa99ee/2014_08_31-2018.rar?dl=0 (includes a screenshot of my craft exploding due to staging mishap while checking the log :confused: )

But else the action groups worked really good and didn't get removed on vessel switching :)

Great work, thanks!

Wait, what? That's a pretty big issue, I'll look into in now. Thanks for the savefile, that should make things simpler to track down.

D.

edit: Able to replicate the issue, clicking on an Action to delete in in the CurrentActionsWindow deletes a random action assigned to that vessel, not the action clicked on. (Not truly random, but close enough from a players perspective.)

Edited by Diazo

Looks the same. I have:

KeySet1 = ‣001Alpha1‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0

It does seem to save at the ship level. If I make the changes to Keyset 1, which shows NONE in the gui for everything, it will stay with that ship. Jumping to another ship and there are no keybindings in Keyset 1. Jump back to the first ship, and the keybindings are present for keyset 1. Build a new ship in editor...no keybindings for keyset 1 for the first ship I made. I manually set Keyset 1 bindings, now a new ship also has keyset 1 bindings properly, but existing ships do not. Weird.

Pre-Update ship. NoKeys.jpg No Keymaps. I can select keyset 2 and those keybindings appear, select keyset 1, they are all none.

EDIT - Copy Link to image and paste to browser if it doesn't appear.

Trying to think of more information:

When I upgraded, I just overwrote what was present. I haven't done a clean load of AGX.

Checking the KSP settings, Alpha 1-0 keys are bound to custom actions.

More information, I restarted KSP to load the new version of KAS. Created a new ship in VAB, and all the KeySet1 bindings were gone. I reapplied them, switched between KeySet1 and KeySet 2 a couple times to make sure they stayed, (they did) and then launched. upon launch, all the KeySet1 bindings were gone again. with KSP running in the background, i opened the cfg and found:

ActiveKeySet = 1
KeySet1 =
KeySet2 = ‣001Alpha3‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0
KeySet3 = ‣001Alpha3‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0
KeySet4 = ‣001Alpha5‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0
KeySet5 = ‣001Alpha5‣002Alpha2‣003Alpha3‣004Alpha4‣005Alpha5‣006Alpha6‣007Alpha7‣008Alpha8‣009Alpha9‣010Alpha0
KeySetName1 = KeySet1
KeySetName2 = KeySet1
KeySetName3 = KeySet3
KeySetName4 = KeySet4
KeySetName5 = KeySet5

I did NOT rename KeySet2. At least, on purpose...take that with a grain of salt. So sometime between closing KSP, loading KAS, and restarting KSP, the KeySet 1 line changed from my last post to this one...automagically.

Version 1.13b

Correct key bind loading so the keyboard will activate action groups correctly.

Note an issue with the display of keysets names was noted during testing and remains unfixed. However this is a separate issue and only affects the names of keysets. (The graphical display of the keyset name will sometimes display the wrong text string, but the keyset itself is unaffected.)

Download version 1.13b here.

D.

Edited by Diazo

All went pear-shaped here; virgin game as far as AGX is concerned but with quite a few mods (see signature).

Installed AGX, loaded existing ship in SPH, made AGX a visible button in toolbar, switched to action groups to confirm AGX was present.

Didn't add or change any action-group settings, didn't touch AGX except clicking its toolbar button to show and then hide it.

Launched (to runway).

Existing action groups (keyboard 1 - 5) were ignored. Opening AGX showed 'no actions' for selected action groups, although some were shown in green (3 - 5). Reverted to SPH.

Existing action groups (as above) showed as previously set, eg; AG1 = toggle 4 engines. Edited parts and actions in AGX to match pre-configured stock action groups. Launch.

Existing action groups were ignored. AGX action groups showed random parts, eg; fuel tanks instead of engines, with no actual actions (presumably because you can't "toggle" a fuel tank ^^). Mod deleted (*sad* I've been looking forward to your hard work updating it).

Lots of RL workcoming up but I'm assuming this is a conflict with another mod. Will try to track it down in the next few days.

edit the 2nd: Please try Version 1.13d, it should fix your issues Pecan. Download 1.13d here/

All went pear-shaped here; virgin game as far as AGX is concerned but with quite a few mods (see signature).

Installed AGX, loaded existing ship in SPH, made AGX a visible button in toolbar, switched to action groups to confirm AGX was present.

Didn't add or change any action-group settings, didn't touch AGX except clicking its toolbar button to show and then hide it.

Launched (to runway).

Existing action groups (keyboard 1 - 5) were ignored. Opening AGX showed 'no actions' for selected action groups, although some were shown in green (3 - 5). Reverted to SPH.

Existing action groups (as above) showed as previously set, eg; AG1 = toggle 4 engines. Edited parts and actions in AGX to match pre-configured stock action groups. Launch.

Existing action groups were ignored. AGX action groups showed random parts, eg; fuel tanks instead of engines, with no actual actions (presumably because you can't "toggle" a fuel tank ^^). Mod deleted (*sad* I've been looking forward to your hard work updating it).

Lots of RL workcoming up but I'm assuming this is a conflict with another mod. Will try to track it down in the next few days.

On the keyboard being ignored, please grab 1.13b to fix that. Keybinds were not loading correctly in the original 1.13 version. When you upgrade, please check the keycode window to make sure Alpha 1 through 10 (zero) are still assigned. Version 1.13b will load the key binds correctly, but when the bug hits it resets those keys to None, and so version 1.13b will load them as none.

On the existing actions being ignore and actions on random parts, that is puzzling, and worrying. The way loading action groups works has two error traps that your report seems to bypass. First, only actions on a part are valid to be assigned to that part so an engine activation action on a fuel tank is supposed to be not possible. The other bypass is that for action groups 1-10 I port the actions back to KSP in real time. This is a second step that should keep an action from being assigned to the wrong part, or have an action assigned twice, once on the wrong part and once on the correct part.

Another reason for the porting of groups 1-10 to KSP means that when you installed AGExt, it should have picked up your previously assigned actions and bound them for you. There would have been no group names but the actions themselves should have populated the action groups. Oops, this seems to have broken since I last tested it, fixing now. is now fixed.

The short version is that if you can even just get me the output_log.txt I would really appreciate it. Your report indicates something broken in my mod and I don't even know where to start looking at the moment. I see you mention runway, I did confirm that spaceplanes worked, but I did do most of my testing on rockets. I will go back and double check I did not overlook something.

D.

edit: Okay, the KSP default groups not loading was an easy fix, please grab version 1.13c for that. (Link says 1.13b, but it is 1.13c, I just replaced the file.)

Was not able to replicate or make any progress on the action groups assigned to the wrong parts, the more information you can get me on that the better.Okay, think I've figured it out. Working on fix now. Apparently for spaceplanes (so SPH, not VAB), when a plane is first spawned on the runway, the Y coordinate, but not the X or Z coordinates is flipped negative. My best guess is because I build small ships to test, I build along the Y axis so my test part had a Y coordinate of zero. Working on fix now.

edit the 2nd: Okay, think I have it fixed, can you try version 1.13d please? Should fix the actions on spaceplanes going nuts.

Edited by Diazo

Version 1.13e

Fix group names so they behave on docking/undocking. This should fix the issues you are seeing JeffreyCor.

Download here.

Note that the behavior of how Group Names and which Keyset is current get saved has changed.

Group Names:

Now, when you dock, the two lists of group names merge. If a group has a name on Vessel A or Vessel B and they dock, that group on Vessel C (docked vessel) will have that name. If both Vessel A and Vessel B have a group name, the group name of the vessel being docked to will be used and the group name of the vessel doing the docking is lost.

On undock, both vessels will have the same list of group names that the vessel did before undocking. This means that there will probably be groups with a group name but no action assigned, but as these groups are hidden when not editing actions, this is not a big deal.

Keysets:

The current version (1.13e) does not save Keysets to the vessel. When you dock, the vessel created by the docking will have the keyset of the vessel that was docked to. On undock, both vessels created will have the same Keyset that the big vessel before undocking did. I am currently investigating how to return this to the old way of saving keysets on the docked vessel, but we will see what I can come up with.

To be clear, this only refers to the KeySet assigned to a vessel, not to changed made to keybindings within a keyset. Key binds are load/saving correctly.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Version 1.13f

-Add mouse over detection so when you are mouse-over a part in the selected parts list, or mouse-over an assigned action in the current actions list (these lists are in two different windows), a black and yellow square will now display over the center of that part. Note that it is the center of the part, as defined by it's bounding box. Odd shaped parts, notably Launch Clamps, will display the icon a bit off from where you expect.

Download 1.13f here.

This is a prerequisite for how I am going to have the list of all parts on the ship work. Once I add that and enable the code to delete old AGExt0000.cfg files automatically, I will probably push Version 1.14 as stable.

D.

Can someone please make a video tutorial on how to use this mod. I want to use this, but it is too complex and too much everything. :) It is not very intuitive.

thanks in advance

I've actually been meaning to redo the first post, it is getting pretty out of date.

Rather then youtube however, I've started an instruction guide on the GitHub wiki page.

Very much under construction, but it can be found here.

D.

Mhm, is it just me or is 1.13f creating way too much redundant AGExt00xxx.cfg-files? It might just be because I am currently playing on a multiplayer server (DMP), but looking at my single player folder shows that there are also multiple AGExt000xx.cfg files with redundant information. I know you separated/outsourced the AGext configs from the persistant/quicksave configs to get rid of that weird reset bug.

Ignore my posting if this intentional and/or just a temporary setting.

Mhm, is it just me or is 1.13f creating way too much redundant AGExt00xxx.cfg-files? It might just be because I am currently playing on a multiplayer server (DMP), but looking at my single player folder shows that there are also multiple AGExt000xx.cfg files with redundant information. I know you separated/outsourced the AGext configs from the persistant/quicksave configs to get rid of that weird reset bug.

Ignore my posting if this intentional and/or just a temporary setting.

Version 1.13f

-Add mouse over detection so when you are mouse-over a part in the selected parts list, or mouse-over an assigned action in the current actions list (these lists are in two different windows), a black and yellow square will now display over the center of that part. Note that it is the center of the part, as defined by it's bounding box. Odd shaped parts, notably Launch Clamps, will display the icon a bit off from where you expect.

Download 1.13f here.

This is a prerequisite for how I am going to have the list of all parts on the ship work. Once I add that and enable the code to delete old AGExt0000.cfg files automatically, I will probably push Version 1.14 as stable.

D.

;) (message to short)

@Nori: Yes, it looks like 1.13f is stable. There are a few outstanding issues around Keyset assignment and Group Visibitility not working as I want them to with docking, but those are minor. (Note they are working fine in 1.13f, just not as I want them to.)

@caipi: As mentioned, 1.14 will take care of those old files. There will be a single AGX00000.cfg file per .sfs save file once I enable that code. Why I did this.

@SMILIE: Thanks for the quick response.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Hmm... I was getting crashes every time I'd recover a vessel with 1.13f. Removing it seemed to have resolved the problems... but I am using a ton of mods and there could be an issue related to one of them also being loaded - could this interact poorly with Kerbal Construction Time, Alarm Clock, Time Control, or Final Frontier?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.