Stranded Kerbal.

Hello, today I had gotten my first rocket into Kerbin Orbit. When I released my Kerbonaut into space for his first space walk, the command module escaped his grip. How can I maneuver him in space and back to his module?

Press R to activate the jetpack, controls are WASD for translation (forward-left-back-right), QE for rotation (or space or try to move WASD and you'll "snap" to camera angle) and shift-ctrl for up/down.

Kryxal said the controls. I'll add a few pointers:

F5 quicksaves. Unless you object to save scumming, do that first, since chances are you'll take a few goes to get your EVAing right. Holding F9 quickloads so you can have another go.

The jetpacks are quite punchy, you just want to make little taps on the keys, don't hold them down. Generally you want to take EVAs slow and steady, rushing will send you flying off.

You can switch to the map view with M. Then click the icon for your ship and choose "Set as target". Switch back to normal view again and you'll see a marker with the distance to your ship. This will also tell you if you're getting close or further.

Set yourself heading gently towards your ship, and watch how the marker seems to drift; slowly up, down, left, or right. You want it to NOT drift, so use gentle taps to stop the motion when you see it.

Hitting L will turn on the headlights on your kerbal's jetpack. This can help you see when you're close, especially if you're on the night side of the planet.

You can switch to the map view with M. Then click the icon for your ship and choose "Set as target". Switch back to normal view again and you'll see a marker with the distance to your ship. This will also tell you if you're getting close or further.

Another way, that's sometimes easier and sometimes harder: move your mouse over the ship until a diamond with a label appears (usually near the ship's center of mass). Double-clicking on the diamond will (usually) also set it as a target.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.