Science from asteroids

So... Is it possible to get science from asteroids? I thought this would be the next big thing, however after grabbing hold of an asteroid I can't think of any way to do science on/with it. Does it have to be in Kerbin orbit? I am puzzled.

Oh that is so lame. I've just arrived at my first asteroid with this huge science lab with all kinda of science instruments..... and all I can get is a surface sample!!! No Gravity Reading... No Seismic reading... No Mystery Goo... No Materials bay... No temperature... No Crew Report...?!?

I seriously think this would be valuable science. Oh well, I guess I'll have to change my playing strategy over to goofing off instead of visiting lots of asteroids in the name of science: Next time I'm not bringing the lab, the primary objective will be to target the VAB with the asteroid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.