The Pet Rock challange!

Hi there!

I guess most of you have already captured your first asteroids. But asteroids floating in space are still very expensive to reach, and it'd be much better for the Space Program to get a sample directly down on the surface, to further analyze it. Thus I'd like to present a simple challange:

The Pet Rock Challange!

This means that you have to capture an asteroid and get it to the KSC, in one piece. The heaviest asteroid which made to the KSC wins. (its weight is shown in the tracking station and map view)

By KSC, I mean the territory sorrounded by the light green grass (that grass counts as the KSC, too). The runway does not count into the acceptable territory.

79YFmFy.png

Challange rules:

-The mission can be completed with a single, or multiple ships (e.g. an interceptor ship, and a ground tractor which pulls the asteroid to KSC).

-Entries must be entirely stock, and there are other mod restrictions (Get over it.) .:

For the sake of simplicity, all part mods (including cfg edits) are banned from the challange, even autopilot ones, like MechJeb. Engineering mods, which show information only, have green light. FAR is allowed too, but FAR users are going to be ranked seperately.

-The built-in cheats and "cheat" mods like Hyper Edit are also banned.

-There are no part count, engine type (until they are stock) or weight restrictions, and points are not awarded for these properties. Feel free to build anything, which meets the conditions mentioned before.

-Every way of delivering the asteroid is allowed, if all mentioned conditions are met.

-Please provide at least one screenshot of every vehicle used in the challange, preferably taken during the mission. Also, provide a screenshot of the asteroid delivered to KSC, and its weight shown in the map view (without the rocket, or any part left attached to the rock).

Here is my proof of concept, delivering a tiny class-A rock to KSC (my post doesn't count as an entry):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Rankings (Stock):

1st - Zeppelinmage, 5,35 t

2nd -

3rd -

4th -

5th -

6th -

7th -

8th -

9th -

10th -

Rankings (FAR):

1st -

2nd -

3rd -

4th -

5th -

6th -

7th -

8th -

9th -

10th -

Rankings will be updated on a daily basis (sometimes it can take more time).

Have fun!

P.S.: I'm aware of that there is a similar challange where you have to land an asteroid on the VAB, but I think this one is a bit more forgiving, which favours less-skilled players (like me).

Edited by jmiki8

Thank you! I don't use FAR, and I thought it makes the game more difficult. I'll modify the rules, and ban FAR too.

Another idea would be to separate FAR players from non-FAR players into two different categories.

Nice entry, Zeppelinmage! You are the first on the list. :)

Camaron: Asteroids have high impact tolerance, but they aren't indestructible. If you don't slow it down while falling, it may explode.

Alymon: Sorry, but this idea would make this challange way too complex, I'd keep this as simple as possible.

As practice, I landed a class C then a class A after that. sadly, I probably accidentally recovered the asteroid as I was recovering the debris near it :/

I still am trying to maneuver a class D, which already is a much larger challenge, I probably need moar boosters!

Objection: FAR makes it easier to get into orbit, giving modded players and advantage, removing the argument of simplicity, therefore logically allowing other mods/banning FAR.
Thank you! I don't use FAR, and I thought it makes the game more difficult. I'll modify the rules, and ban FAR too.

may i remind you that altough FAR does makes the atmosphere thinner, it also makes KSP emulate drag way better, and also makes it REALLY HARD to get efficient thrust towards orbit (unless you're scott manley). and since atmosphere is thinner, it's also harder and takes longer to slow down when you are landing the asteroids

One more challenge I'm not trying because I suck at piloting. I understand orbital mechanics, I can (and have, solved such problems). But I'm just to uncoordinated to do something like this without MechJeb. (Which I don't regard as a cheat for me because I perfectly understand all the orbital mechanics it's doing, I just hate hitting the wrong button, or spacebar by accident :P Besides I play computer games to relax not make my blood pressure go even higher... ) I'm suitable Impressed, Zepplinmage.

Well, it's very similar to docking. You just have to wait until the tracked asteroid enters Kerbin's SOI, then you launch your rocket in the same direction as the asteroid's orbit. You could fix your inclination as a first manouver, then it's really easy to intercept the rock. It's advised to reach it in a small angle, so you won't have a high velocity relative to the rock. If you approach the rock at thousands of m/s, it's likely that you won't catch it. :)

Oh, and I think the best and most fuel-efficient way to catch the asteroid is to intercept it just slightly before its periapsis.

Before I got my first asteroid, I thought it would be impossible for me to do, but it turned out to be really easy task. The difficult part is to build a good rocket for class-Es. :D

Edited by jmiki8

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it's very similar to docking. You just have to wait until the tracked asteroid enters Kerbin's SOI, then you launch your rocket in the same direction as the asteroid's orbit. You could fix your inclination as a first manouver, then it's really easy to intercept the rock. It's advised to reach it in a small angle, so you won't have a high velocity relative to the rock. If you approach the rock at thousands of m/s, it's likely that you won't catch it. :)

Oh, and I think the best and most fuel-efficient way to catch the asteroid is to intercept it just slightly before its periapsis.

Before I got my first asteroid, I thought it would be impossible for me to do, but it turned out to be really easy task. The difficult part is to build a good rocket for class-Es. :D

You are correct about the fact that it is similar to docking. I used my rendezvous skills to intercept my first one. But, it is not must efficient to capture near periapsis. The sooner you grab it the better. Burn radially and raise/lower the periapsis to around 35,000 meters while it is still fairly far, and you are good.

If I were to participate, could I use Kerbal Engineer Redux, as well as Enhanced Navball? Neither adds any parts (well, except the computer from KER that gives info.)

Enhanced Navball gives you Radial In/Out, as well as North/South.

Here is my entry, it is a class C weighing in at 37.52 t. I had already captured this asteroid before I read this challenge so I didn't get a screenshot of my capture tug. It is nearly identical to the lander tug in my screenshots without the detachable arms with the parachutes.

This thing was a pain to get transported to the space center. It took 4 of the ground tugs that I have shown in the screenshots to move it 7 km.

Edit: Stock

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by HelmyJune

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Been playing with KSP only since v .23. This is my first time in the forums. I've been making challenges for myself once i finished the science tree and had no idea this place existed! Anyway, I took on this challenge myself without knowing about this thread, so i don't have any pictures of my craft in action, but here is my Asteroid "Douglas Adams" at the KSC Astronaut Complex.

Please excuse any errors in posting protocol. I don't know what i'm doing. (I even had to google how to do a screenshot. :) )

Only mod I use is the Flight Engineer.

The Capture and Lander Craft

P4g4wjel.png

koetNGAl.png

4PAUoDwl.png

The "Puller", once I landed near KSC

Ka9JiqFl.png

The Ladder to Go stand on Top!

H5PnapOl.png

Bill on Top!

78FuEXdl.png

And here is the size (75.6 Tons)

ZTf7cBfl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.